Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6466 results found

1. Stroke Drawing Order not working

InDesign 2019 on MacOS 10.13.6

Steps to reproduce
    Define table stroke using the proxy in the Control panel (see screenshot) and try to change the Stroke Drawing Order.

Expected result
    Stroke Drawing Order "Row Strokes In Front" should be as selected in "Table Options"

Actual result
    Row Strokes are not in front. All strokes which are altered using the control panel options remain unchanged.
    If a new table is setup using only the menu options (Cell Options > Strokes And Fills) everything works fine.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In the Table Setup dialog, do the following:

In the Row Strokes section (2nd tab), choose Alternating Pattern : Every Other Row and then make the First 1 Rows and Next 1 Rows the exact same settings.

In the Column Strokes section (3rd tab), choose Alternating Pattern: Every Other Column and then make the First 1 Columns and Next 1 Columns the exact same settings.

In the Table Setup section (1st tab), you can set the Table Border as 0mm and Stroke Drawing Order as ‘Row Strokes in Front’.

Most probably this should help you get the results you are after. Try this out and let us know if it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

2. overriding styles

1. Apply a style to some text.

2. Make some change to this paragraph which changes the layout of the paragraph in some way. For example apply a first line indent different from the one in the original definition.

3. Now remove the override (I always do this from the paragraph styles panel).

4. The override is indeed removed, but the paragraph doesn't redraw, and it's unreadable until I page up/ page down, which forces the redraw. This certainly isn't the end of the world, but it would all run a lot faster if this didn't happen. :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Pages

Adobe Indesign 14.0.1

Last row of Pages Panel doesn't display the page numbers. I'm unable to scroll lower either as the scroll bar is at limit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Can't share from Adobe Comp CC on the iPad (which is the whole reason I signed up for a trial)

Sharing to InDesign causes Comp CC to Crash! The whole reason I signed up for the InDesign trial is to see how it works with Comp. Please fix or extend my trial until this has ben handled!

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. "View by Group"

Every time I start InDesign the "View by Group" notification pops up in my CC Libraries, even after clicking Cancel or "View by Group." See image...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Cmd + F (Ctrl + F) should not close the Find/Change dialog

Repro:
    1. Cmd + F to open a Find/Change dialog. Don't close the dialog (with Done, or Esc, for example).
    2. With the Find/Change dialog still open(which is fine; I plan to use it again shortly), resume typing into the document.
    3. Click Cmd + F again. What I expect is that the application focus becomes the Find/Change dialog. But what happens instead is that the Find/Change dialog closes. I can't tell you how many times I end up mistakenly typing content into my document that I think is being entered into the Find/Change dialog instead.

The simple solution here…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Pdf export Doc- Blank Pages NO printing of png. Images - Latest InDesign Version

Hi
    I believe I am not the first one to experience this terrible frustration, not being able to get a clean Pdf export doc that I send to print. One blank page is coming out of the printer instead of the one with the pics. I use Mojave 10.14.3 and the latest InDesign version. I also unchecked the PrefLight box.
    Anyone can help to sort out that issue?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Table Resizing

I love the table feature in inDesign, however there is one behavior that I wish was different. When I go to resize a row or column it pushes all the rows/columns down rather than adjusting the space according to the size of the table box. I have found many times that I would prefer setting the overall table size and then it doesn't go beyond that.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. In exported PDF, Hyperlinks jump to wrong page when their Text Anchor destination has moved to a different page due to reflow

Hi

In my InDesign file I have a Contents page with 10 hyperlinks to the first page of my 10 chapters. I created Text Anchor Hyperlink destinations on all 10 target pages, and then created Hyperlinks to them from the Contents page.

The document is 180 pages long and uses a Primary Text Frame, and all the text anchors are contained within the main text flow.

In 9 of these cases, clicking the hyperlinks in the exported PDF jumps to the correct page, but in one of them, clicking jumps to the NEXT page following the text anchor.

However, if…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Publish online feature not working after deactivating renewal of creative cloud plan

After I deactivated the renewal of my annual plan (long before the date of renewal), I experienced an issue. When I try to publish from InDesign, it says "error #315: this service is unavailable...". On the My Plans section of the website it says I should still have access to this service until my plan expires. I contacted customer support and they basically told me they can't do anything. I assume this is a bug as the website says I do have access to it, but the app wont let me use it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. it takes forever to get the document analytics then it comes up after 5 -7 minutes with all zeroes. Trying again, it comes up with other #s

it takes forever to get the document analytics then it comes up after 5 -7 minutes with all zeroes. Trying again, it comes up with other #s

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Cannot place EPS image in empty box

InDesign 14.0.1.209
    Mac OSX 10.14.3

Placing an EPS file generated from "Barcode" (by AppsForLife) does not work properly if the target box is empty. If box already contains a graphic, the file will place properly via "Place" or drag+drop.

On a new image box or box where the existing image has been deleted, the following occurs (via Place or drag+drop):

Image will seem to appear in the target box. Once mouse button is released, the imported image is no longer in the box and the pointer changes to a "placement selector" prompting to place the image in a new box.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Cannot place EPS image in empty box

InDesign 14.0.1.209
    Mac OSX 10.14.3
    sample file is attached

Placing an EPS file generated from "Barcode" (by AppsForLife) does not work properly if the target box is empty. If box already contains a graphic, the file will place properly via "Place" or drag+drop.

On a new image box or box where the existing image has been deleted, the following occurs (via Place or drag+drop):

Image will seem to appear in the target box. Once mouse button is released, the imported image is no longer in the box and the pointer changes to a "placement selector" prompting to place the image…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Edit all hyperlinks panel - like the Edit all Text Styles panel

This would allow quick changes to a host of links - especially useful when reusing layouts but changing images, content and links. A panel would allow the changes to links, and campaigns. It could have several columns which could be used to construct the links. Here, with examples:

URL
    https://www.example.com/page.html

SOURCE
    (would add &utm_source=xxxx to the URL)

MEDIUM
    (would add &utm_medium=yyyy)

CAMPAIGN
    (would add &utm_campaign=zzzz)

etc.

Many of the details in these columns would be identical throughout a new piece and being able to edit them all in one screen would be both a time-saver and a way to avoid…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Export to PDF crashes when Printer's Marks checked on in PDF export window menu (Indesign 14.0.1 )

When I leave Printer's Marks unchecked, Indesign exports effortlessly.

Crashing while exporting to PDF happens with any design, regardless of the contents in the design (RGB, .ai files, etc.)

I have tested it on exporting older designs that have already been sent to print with printer's marks, prior to this issue.

Note: checking or unchecking Bleed and Slug don't interfere – only Printer's Marks do.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. error message about activating fonts constantly flicking up, then disappearing.

the error message is constantly just flicking on screen and disappearing. it even pops up when using other programs in front of in design.

could fonts just go into memory once you open a doc and there is plenty of memory left. to avoid constant font issues. indesign is always telling me fonts that are installed have gone missing, then a few seconds later they come back.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Edit and Copy text box, delete another box, copied box is lost

MacBook Pro (2018, 13-inch, 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5), with High Sierra (10.13.6), and InDesign (14.0.1).

I have two text boxes - Box1 and Box2 - with text in them.

I edit the text in Box1, copy Box1 (not the contents; the text box itself).

I delete Box2 by pressing the Backspace key while Box2 is selected.

I paste, and get Box2.

Expected functionality: The box I specifically copied - Box1 - should be resident in the clipboard. Not Box2.

Deleting an item should NOT copy it to the clipboard and overwrite the previous clipboard contents.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Crash when placing DOCX with paragraphStyles

Version: InDesign 14.0.1, macOS 10.14.3

Steps:
    1. Open attached InDesign document (please rename .jpg in .indd, there was a bug while uploading the file)
    2. Place "ThisDocumentHasParagraphStyles.docx" in the document
    3. InDesign crashes :-(

It seems it has something to do with the ParagraphStyles that are in the Word document. If I try to place the DOCX file named "ThisDocumentDOESNTHaveParagraphStyles.docx", then InDesign doesn't crash.

Attached is a screen video capture of the process (rename .jpg in .mp4 please)

Please help!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Snapping objects is funky

When moving or scaling objects and aligning (snapping) them to guides or objects, they don't snap to the guides or objects exactly. I regularly
    need to zoom in and visually align them correctly.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base