Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6499 results found

1. "Unable to adjust document layout due to an error."

1. Adobe InDesign CC 2019
    2. File >Adjust Layout > I select Custom page size; Auto-adjust margins to page size change; Options - adjust font size, adjust locked content.
    3. Expected result: page and all objects and fonts shrink from those I needed for a 8.5" x 11" (letter sized) doc. to 7.222" x 6" (6-column newspaper ad size) I need to produce a print-ready PDF for newspaper layout.
    4. Actual result: the error message "Unable to adjust document layout due to an error." (note: the preflight shows no errors, all links working, everything copacetic).
    5. See screen shots.
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Eyedropper doesn't pick up the correct color

I'm trying to select a color in a pdf that was placed in an InDesign document. The eyedropper won't pick up the correct color. It's consistently choosing a color that's darker than the color I want. I have zoomed in all the way so I can click on individual pixels, but that doesn't make a difference. I'm clicking on a light gray (almost white) pixel and the eyedropper is choosing a dark gray.

The layer with the pdf is the active layer and it is unlocked. I'm using InDesign CC 14.0.1

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. find font

Find Font isn't working for certain fonts. See the attached gif. I'm trying to change a passage of text set it Calibri (which I don't have installed) but when I open Find Font, Calibri isn't listed there so I'm unable to swap it out

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. reference point

Reference Point moves on objects when one object on page is rotated. Indesign 2019 (14.0.1) If one (or more) objects on a page is rotated, then the reference point on other objects on the page changes as you select through the different objects. This applies to text, picture, and tint boxes. If you try and make the reference point the same on all objects on a page, say the upper left point, then select other objects, they have changed to a different reference point. This makes it very difficult to align objects from page to page.
    Mac OS 10.12.6

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Paragraph style overrides key quick not working

When I select a paragraph and want to keep the character styles, but override the paragraph levels styles while holding down Ctrl/Shift click, this quick key does not work. Nothing happens. It used to work for CC2017. Ctrl click works for overriding character styles though. This is a nuisance, especially when it worked before

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To remove paragraph-level overrides, but preserve character-level overrides and character styles, in the Paragraph Styles panel, hold down Shift+Ctrl and click on the Clear Overrides button at the bottom of the panel.
    To remove character-level overrides, but preserve paragraph formatting overrides, hold down Ctrl as you click on the Clear Overrides button at the bottom of the Paragraph Styles panel.

Please also see this article: https://indesignsecrets.com/5-ways-of-removing-overrides-applied-to-paragraphs.php

Adobe InDesign team

6. Short cut special character not correct

When going to Type > insert special character > symbols > bullets
    short cut Alt+8 isn't correct for this I must use Alt+7.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Problems with zoom on tablets wacom

The Zoom function (Zoom In and Zoom Out) made with two fingers directly on the Wacom tablet (in my case an Intuos Pro L) or made using the Wacom Touch Ring tablet still does not work in InDesign, for a long time, with different versions of InDesign and with different operating systems (OS Mavericks - Sierra-High Sierra and now also Mojave ...).
    All this is very frustrating, because it eliminates a very important function for those who have to paginate!
    On all other programs (Illustrator, Photoshop and competition programs - Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher Beta) it works regularly: I…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Pages overview lag and stutter when using alternate layouts

When using alternate layouts, navigation between pages is horrendous. Lag, stutter and erratic and unpredictable scrolling. Often the scroll bars "jump" or "skip", which makes it a nightmare to navigate between pages. This has been an issue for years.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Pasteboard not centered in layout view

I'm not sure if this is the right bug category, but when trying to view spreads, no matter what view option I pick, the pasteboard is aligned right only, with lots of extra room on the left. If I scroll all the way left, the left edge of the pasteboard is about in the middle of the view area and if I scroll all the way right, nothing past the right edge of the pasteboard is visible. It should be the other way around if not centered, because at least then, all my tool panels wouldn't cover up what I…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Can't change page size when printing to PostScript

Missing PPD file. Tried downloading it and placing it in the Presets folder in Applications. No difference.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. New, based-on Object style isn't "based on"

Take an Object Style and create a new style based on that style. When the new dialog opens with the based-on name present, it has a number of items chosen and selected, but it's not the same as the based on item.

You could try Duplicate Object Style and then add the based on-name, but while there is no error, any change made to the based-on object does not change the new object style.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. InCopy character panel blank

My coworker is on a PC running InCopy 2019 and has had an issue with InCopy since CC2017. The panels (not sure which ones are there other than the character panel) move from the side to the top and go blank and are utterly unusable. Turning them off and on again doesn't do anything. Any ideas on making it usable again?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Odd ruler behavior

Ran into a new issue with IND 14.0.1. When setting the display to picas, i got a "6" measurement in between the primary numbers -- it's not incorrect since there's 12 points to a pica but it's something that never happened before. it's a bug because right-clicking on the margin and selecting custom, i changed the value to 6 points, and then changed it back to 12 points, and then changed it back to picas. the odd "6" was gone.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Stroke Drawing Order not working

InDesign 2019 on MacOS 10.13.6

Steps to reproduce
    Define table stroke using the proxy in the Control panel (see screenshot) and try to change the Stroke Drawing Order.

Expected result
    Stroke Drawing Order "Row Strokes In Front" should be as selected in "Table Options"

Actual result
    Row Strokes are not in front. All strokes which are altered using the control panel options remain unchanged.
    If a new table is setup using only the menu options (Cell Options > Strokes And Fills) everything works fine.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In the Table Setup dialog, do the following:

In the Row Strokes section (2nd tab), choose Alternating Pattern : Every Other Row and then make the First 1 Rows and Next 1 Rows the exact same settings.

In the Column Strokes section (3rd tab), choose Alternating Pattern: Every Other Column and then make the First 1 Columns and Next 1 Columns the exact same settings.

In the Table Setup section (1st tab), you can set the Table Border as 0mm and Stroke Drawing Order as ‘Row Strokes in Front’.

Most probably this should help you get the results you are after. Try this out and let us know if it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

15. overriding styles

1. Apply a style to some text.

2. Make some change to this paragraph which changes the layout of the paragraph in some way. For example apply a first line indent different from the one in the original definition.

3. Now remove the override (I always do this from the paragraph styles panel).

4. The override is indeed removed, but the paragraph doesn't redraw, and it's unreadable until I page up/ page down, which forces the redraw. This certainly isn't the end of the world, but it would all run a lot faster if this didn't happen. :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Pages

Adobe Indesign 14.0.1

Last row of Pages Panel doesn't display the page numbers. I'm unable to scroll lower either as the scroll bar is at limit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Can't share from Adobe Comp CC on the iPad (which is the whole reason I signed up for a trial)

Sharing to InDesign causes Comp CC to Crash! The whole reason I signed up for the InDesign trial is to see how it works with Comp. Please fix or extend my trial until this has ben handled!

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. "View by Group"

Every time I start InDesign the "View by Group" notification pops up in my CC Libraries, even after clicking Cancel or "View by Group." See image...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Cmd + F (Ctrl + F) should not close the Find/Change dialog

Repro:
    1. Cmd + F to open a Find/Change dialog. Don't close the dialog (with Done, or Esc, for example).
    2. With the Find/Change dialog still open(which is fine; I plan to use it again shortly), resume typing into the document.
    3. Click Cmd + F again. What I expect is that the application focus becomes the Find/Change dialog. But what happens instead is that the Find/Change dialog closes. I can't tell you how many times I end up mistakenly typing content into my document that I think is being entered into the Find/Change dialog instead.

The simple solution here…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Pdf export Doc- Blank Pages NO printing of png. Images - Latest InDesign Version

Hi
    I believe I am not the first one to experience this terrible frustration, not being able to get a clean Pdf export doc that I send to print. One blank page is coming out of the printer instead of the one with the pics. I use Mojave 10.14.3 and the latest InDesign version. I also unchecked the PrefLight box.
    Anyone can help to sort out that issue?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?