Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6521 results found

1. Relink is broken

Hi, I have an existing linked file (PDF) already contained within a document, for example PDF_a.pdf in the links panel. The original link generates the graphic and displays on the page.

I want to update that link to now link to PDFb.pdf. I choose the relink button from the links panel, the file name updates in the links panel to display PDFb.pdf, however the graphic displayed on the page remains that of PDF_a.pdf.

If I save the file, close InDesign and reopen it, the link remains PDFb.pdf, while the graphic shows PDFa.pdf on the page.

If…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Master-double-page with bleed makes mistake in assigning a single page

1. InDesign 2017.1
    2. DIN A5 document with double-page and 3 mm bleed. On master-double-page A is no background and on master-double-page B is a full-faced background on the left page and a full-faced background on the right page. If I assign the right page of master-page B, the left page-background will also displayed on the left page (assigned with master page A, where is no background!!!). This just happens if the background of the master-page is set to the bleed (on top-left and bottom). The backgrounds are exact positioned and are not on the opposite page. See screenshots!
    3. On the left…
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Cannot turn auto-fit to default

I am using Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.0 for macOS (10.13.1). It seems that the auto-fit is default turned off right now. I changed the setting in Objet-Fitting-Framing Fitting Options and checked the box of Auto-fit with no documents open.

However, I am still unable to set auto fit into default.

Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Using tabs with right-aligned text causes crash - CC2017

When I build a paragraph with tabs and right-aligned text, making any edits to the paragraph at all causes InDesign CC2017 to crash. My co-worker experiences the same problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Cannot open InDesign - error 0xc000012f

For the last week or so, I have not been able to open InDesign. It seems it is the only Adobe programme causing me problems.
    I've tried uninstalling and installing InDesign - nothing happens. I've sent a few bug reports, but haven't received any answer to how I get the programme to work.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Highlight/Colorize menu commands : changes retained temporarily , then disappear

Using the Edit > Menu Command to highlight/colorize frequently used commands. After spending a good deal of time setting this up, the menus only remain highlighted for a few minutes before the all highlighting disappears. Have repeated this exercise a few times, trashed preferences, always the same result.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Object Display Performance

With an object selected, selecting Object/Display Peroformance/ no matter what setting, nothing happens since the 2018 update. It only works if I use the option in the view menu for the entire document or go to preferences and change the default for Typical to high

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Tagged artifacts are not propery exported to PDF

1. CC 2017.1
    2. Create an InDesign Document with correct tagging, articles, etc. Spend hours because there is no simple way doing this without expensive plugins. Our small monthly payment is used to include more important functions like Stock-Photos. Export PDF, correct some minor errors and check it with PAC. You´ll get many Content errors, because artifacts are not properly tagged. Try to solve it in Acrobat with the tags/order/...-panel. Spend more hours with vanishing objects and many other amusing bugs. Find the Preflight-Tool to tag all objects at once.
    3. Correct tagging while generating the PDF.
    4. Lost my mind ... Please overhaul…
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Balance Ragged Lines and Nested Line Styles

1. All Versions of Adobe InDesign up to CC 2018. macOS.
    2. A paragraph is formated with "Balance Ragged Lines" and single lines are formated with "Nested Line Styles"
    3. The lines shoud be formated as they are actual wrapped.
    4. The words are formated, as they would built lines, if balance ragged lines were not enabled.
    5. In the screenshot the second line is colored by a nested line style. The first word in the second line remains black, because it is wrapped around by balance ragged lines.
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Cell Style override crash

Crashes when applying and overriding a cell style to a table that has previous overrides. Tried it multiple times on multiple files, all with the same crash result.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Failed to connect to Acrobat DDE server

1. Latest Indesign with latest Acrobat running on Windows 10 (1709)
    2. When exporting a PDF with activated option "Open PDF after export" and with Acrobat being already open with a document (but only in display mode and no dialogue window open), it would sometimes not open the PDF in Acrobat, but after a while show an error popup saying it failed to connect to Acrobat DDE server. I never had this in former versions of Indesign and Acrobat.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When I move a picture in 12 page publication, it crashes. over and over again.

I have a 12 page newspaper with lots of picture. Now when I move one picture, the program crashes. Every time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. InDesign CS6 will not open as of 12/13/17 for MAC 10.12.6, is there an update somewhere? maybe thats the problem. please help!

InDesign CS6 will not open as of 12/13/17 for MAC 10.12.6, is there an update somewhere? maybe thats the problem. please help!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. eyedropper tool doesn't work any more and scrollbar disappears in color panel

Since i update MacOS Sierra (10.12.6 version), when i try to copy a text style with the eyedropper tool, it doesn't work. Instead to copy the right style, the text becomes always white.
    Other problem: in the color palette, there is no more the scroll bar: haw can i see the colours continue below the end of the window??
    And also the indicator of the color type (rgb, cmyk, pantone...) doesn't appear next to the single color.
    Other problem: sometimes when i open in design, it doesn't show the palettes. I have to restart several times. I verified the same…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Hidden content in pdf export

Adobe InDesign CC 2017. While exporting the file into a PDF. In the PDF while searching for a word I found some sort of ghost fields (picture ghostfields.png). Then I found out that the problem is caused by graphics that we use internally. There are mostly more than just one graphic in one Illustrator file (picture illustratorfile.png). It is saved as an ai, not eps. InDesign exports the parts of those graphics that are actually not visible in InDesign (picture error2.png). I could not find out why, or how to solve it. And because of those ghost field you can…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. beachballs

Beach balls, beach balls and beach balls and wait for the next move in indesign. We do not find a solution to this problem on the Internet. Can Adobe solve this?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

19. 6 letter word is split at end of line without a hyphenation being added

Hyphenation of the style is set for 3 letters before, 3 letters after. Correct for the language would be a hyphenation after two letters in this case. Indesign cannot break the word as it wants, INSTEAD it still breaks the word, but inserts no hyphenation. This appears to be a bug. I am attaching a screen shot as well as a package file. The problem is highlighted in yellow on page 26 of the book.

Indesign: 13.0.1
    Mac: 10.12.6

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Will not apply master other than "Master A"

InDesign 13.0
    Letter size document. When applying a new master to a single or a larger selection of pages or spread, it automatically goes back to "Master A".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base