Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. Step and repeat Bug

Step and repeat is not working correctly.

If you have an object, whilst holding option, drag the object to a new position and release, the object is duplicated. This works correctly. If i then select Duplicate from the Edit menu, it should repeat the the last duplication. It does not! It uses the last step and repeat measurement. This is a bug.

This is using indesign 2019.

The bug is not in indesign 2018, it works correctly here

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. No Panels at Start

Many times CC apps start with no panels at all or panels which won't expand when clicked.

Also happens in Photoshop, Illustrator in my experience and on different machines (Mac Pro at home, different iMacs at the office).

Has been going on for many iterations of CC apps.

macOS High Sierra 13.13.3 / CC 2018 InDesign 13.0.1

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    As per some recent comments on this thread, customers have confirmed that the issue is fixed.
    We are closing the thread. In case issue is encountered again, please log a new thread.

-InDesign Team

3. Preferences: Preview image not working

My Italian InDesign release doesn't create a Hi Res preview image.
    In the preferences I've flagged the "always save preview image with the document", Pages: "all the pages" and Preview dimensions: "very big 1024x1024", but the software doesn't work: when I try to have a look at the documents with Adobe Bridge I can see a low res preview, while with ID Util (an utility for OSX Quick Look) I can't see any preview of the pages of the document. This issue didn't happen with the previous release of InDesign and my old MacPro with El Capitan. Now I'm working…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Color Managment plugin (CS6)

Upon getting the new Apple update for the MacOS Mojave (version 10.14.2) Most of my programs from my Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection, including, but not limited to Indesign CS6 are no longer supported, do to the Update not running anything less the 64-Bit (intel).
    The message that comes up is in the attached file
    It follows with a contact the App company for further support.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign is very slow when all or most of the fonts in the document are missing

This problem occured for the first time already in the 14.0 version and version 14.0.1 didn't fix the problem. When all the fonts or most of the fonts are missing in the document, scrolling between spreads is very, very slow. InDesign freezes for few seconds when scrolling from spread to another (see the attached video file). Please let me know if you need more details.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign crashes while Editing Cross-Reference

1. InDesign 13.1
    2. Select text, got to Type > Hyperlinks & Cross-References > Insert Cross-Reference
    3. Should be able to open/edit Cross-References
    4. Entire program freezes and has to be force quit.
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the customer, the issue was specific to a corrupt element. Deleting or modifying the corrupt element resolved the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

7. There isn't vertical justification in the control panel

There isn't vertical justification in the control panel, and I've no idea how to fix that...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. can't move elements

I could not move an element on a page (happens to be a circle, with a stroke applied to it). I tried creating a new circle with the ellipse tool and copying the attributes with the eye dropper tool; this too I could not move. I tried creating a new circle and applying the attributes manually; again, this too I could not move.

I must say, I am REALLY not impressed with this latest "update" to inDesign. The amount of bizarre behavior by the software is making my work a struggle lately.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Unable to update to latest InDesign version

I am trying to open an organizational chart file that was last edited 2 months ago on InDesign 13.1, but I get a prompt that the file was created in 14.0 so I need to convert it.

In the Creative Cloud desktop app, there are no available updates for me to install, so I am stuck with converting the file and having to manually re-link the 20 profile pictures in the document. I would rather just update the InDesign version to be able to properly open and edit the file, if that was actually the issue.

I have already restarted…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. pages palette

When viewing page icons in Extra Large or Jumbo sizes in the Pages palette, it is impossible to drag a page icon to the end of the list.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Publish Online is converting two pages of a spread into one wide page, and overriding PDF settings on the download

I am publishing a document that is made up of 8.5 x 11" pages, set up as spreads. I want to publish it online with the view setting set to spreads, but be able to download it as a normal single page PDF.

When I publish the document, I have to choose export as spreads so that two pages show up side by side on screen. The PDF export settings I am using under advanced are for single pages, but for some reason the PDF that is created is combining pages. So, for example, my 9 page document (a cover…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

12. PDF image import appears corrupt

BUG: Importing PDF images into InDesign 2019, after the update today, and they appear corrupt when rendered on screen (see screenshot) but when I export out PDFs they appear okay..

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Placing objects with gradient from illustrator.

Hi, I - and not only I - expierenced ugly 'new feature' that is can't copy objects with gradients from Illustrator 23.0.1 to new version of InDesign 14.0.1 (in previous version all works fine) in editable format. Yes I heard about placing ext. file - but this not the sollution. For many version of InDesign this works perfectly then why now this feature is broken?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

14. References

Problem

There does not seem to be a straight forward way to manage references in a scientific text.[1-3] While simple references[1] may be managed by bending the cross-reference tool[2] more advanced referencing situations[1,3] are not easily dealt with.

Suggestion

In the raw text, cite-keys can be inserted. The cite-keys are unique identifiers for the text entries (either in a table at the end of the document or in a separate bibtext file). Then a relatively simple functionality that basically does search-and-replace work could do the rest. Search for the first cite-key in the document, replace all its occurrences with 1.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Bug - Indesign loses almost all settings when crashing

When InDesign crashes (harder than usual) it loses almost all personal settings.
    Example:
    Saved document presets
    Some shortcut bindings

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Bug - Paragraph style folder starts acting as paragraph style

Paragraph style folder starts acting as paragraph style. Individual styles inside the folder are no longer associated with paragraphs, just the folder. When changing name of folder the paragraph style settings are shown instead of the plain change folder name dialog.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign CS6 Hangs with customized plug-ins

Hello,
    Our company develops InDesign plug-ins as our product. Now we have a hanging problem when dealing with one InDesign document. The problem happens on both Windows and macOS.
    According to the log collected on Mac, InDesign CS6 hangs at com.adobe.InDesign.Text. We cannot find a way to fix it so far. This problem stopped us to support our customers.

Could you please have a check why the hanging happens?

We made a simple document to reproduce the problem. The plug-ins inside "InDesign-CS6-Windows-Plugins" are used to make InDesign CS6 open the document without crash.
    The detail steps are:
    1. On Windows,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page

InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page.
    The code attached in file "Script.txt" crashes when executing "item.appliedMaster = masterSpread;".
    The file "File.indd" is on which I execute the script.
    I works properly in InDesign CS6 and InDesign CC 2018.1.
    I've been searching on Internet and I couldn't find any issue similar to mine.
    I think it is a bug but maybe I'm missing something prior to execute that sentence.
    Thanks.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

FIXED  ·  1 comment  ·  Crash/Freeze/Hang  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Anchored objects in text on path have inconsistent vertical & horizontal positioning

Pasting the same graphic in text on a path appears at different vertical and horizontal locations relative to the baseline depending on where on the path it's pasted. CC 14.0.1, no character or paragraph styles applied.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign CC 2018—Page shifts when browsing with key commands

Browsing pages using Command+Page Up/Down or Fn+Shift+Arrow Up/Down shifts page slightly left and down. Infuriating when trying to see if elements are properly aligned between pages. The rulers seem to shift as well.

I'm using Indesign CC 2018 version 13.1

My document size is 4k 3840 x 2160 px. When my doc is 1920 x 1080 px the page shifting does NOT happen.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base