Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6428 results found

1. Through the single page PDF created from facing the text is displayed

Through the PDF size under specified conditions, will display the text. Print out also confirmed.
    Please see the link below.
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2483538

Translations by Microsoft® Translator

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Libraries menu name

The menu name for the CC Libraries needs to be consistent across programs... Photoshop/Illustrator it is called "Libraries" in Windows -> Libraries

In InDesign it is called "CC Libraries". It should be called "Libraries" just like the others.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. page number in page manu not shown

Hallo. Leider werden die letzten Seitenzahlen im Seitenmenü abgeschnitten.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

4. Interface not accurately displaying position of objects.

This has been happening ever since CC was released, and it drives me nuts.
    Example: I have a rectangle perfectly aligned to the grid, but the frame edge does not share the same screen pixel as the grid line when zoomed out. Check the image examples:

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Publish online - embedded videos no longer playing in Chrome

Have created an InDes file with embedded videos that I published online. Up until recently, all the videos have been playing in Chrome fine, however now they don't play. It loads the video, but when I click the play arrow, nothing happens. I can scrub through the video with the video controller, but not play it. The videos play fine on Safari.

If I set the videos to autoplay, they do, however there is no way to pause or stop them, so it doesn't work when there are multiple videos on one page.

This is a recent thing, last year…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Paragraph style changes when copy/pasting

Indesign 13.1/13.0.1, macOS, UTS 6.1.5

When copy-pasting text or text frames from one document to another or even in the same document, paragraph style is changed to "standard copy".
    The correct paragraph style is present, allocated and identical in all documents.
    The paragraph style "standard"/"standard copy" is not present in any document (german version) before copy-pasting.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Problème pointeur de souris. Il est instable et bug avec les outils sélection et texte

Le pointeur disparait, change de forme, est complètement instable

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. "Punched-in" values are not properly input. Possible latency issue.

For example, when punching in numbers to resize an object, the first number will often go ignored.

Also, when punching in new values for type (Font Size and Leading), when hitting TAB (from Font Size) to punch in a new Leading value, the value will not completely replace the current value if currently an "auto" value if I begin typing immediately. This results in an unwelcomed and unwarranted "invalid numeric value" popup.

This has been happening ever since I can remember (all CC versions)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Image color settings get lost when duplicating image or when data merging

If a placed image has an icc-profile different from the documents' profile, that profile assigment will get lost when the image is being duplicated. The same thing is going to happen if the document is being data merged for variable data printing. The image will have a wrong profile assignment in the additional records when creating the merged document. Only the first record will be properly printed, the duplicates won't. Test files attached.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

By default color profiles are not maintained while copy-pasting and this behavior exists since CS6.
    To enable the behavior of maintaining a color profile while performing copy-paste action, we need to apply the required settings at the application/document level under the color settings dialog from the edit menu.
    To do so, open color settings and set color management policies for CMYK to preserve embedded profiles.

Closing the issue as designed.

InDesign team

10. InDesign CC 2018 stalls to a spinning beachball right after opening for a brief time

On first opening InDesign in Sierra 10.2.4, after a couple of seconds of not taking any action, InDesign stalls briefly—about 3 to 4 seconds—not allowing any new action during that time. There is just a spinning beachball. I can postpone the beachball by immediately opening a menu; but after mousing away from the menu the beachball comes back. Not sure if it is trying to load something, but I currently don't have any extra extensions installed. I tried resetting preferences and removing all user install scripts, but it still did it. It's consistent every time I open the new version.…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue and allowing us some time to complete our investigation into the issue.
    As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email and we could come up with the below mentioned findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For the majority of the users the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    3. We also found few cases where the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

Please note that we have created separate threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread has become too generic to serve its purpose effectively. As per your feedback and the outcome of our investigation we have created…

11. The ability to resize all suitable dialogue boxes

There are some boxes that aren't resizable that make work frustrating to have to scroll back & forth - e.g. the "Table of Contents..." box - would like to be able to resize these sort of boxes to be able to see the entire list in a view. There are others but they escape me atm. I'll post the list as I come across them.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Converting text cell to graphic cell

If you convert a graphic cell to a text cell the vertical justification gets locked, cell appears to be anchored and is unable to be converted back to a graphic cell.

1) Create table
    2) Select cell > context menu > convert cell to graphic cell
    3) Select cell/object > convert to text cell
    4) Unable to convert back to graphic cell or adjust vertical justification within cell (options greyed out) and anchor symbol on top right of frame

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Indesign window appears on many desktops as identical

Indesign window appears on multiple desktops on MacOS 10.13.6 When changing desktop the window stays on top of everything

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Inconsistent Text Wrap across two column layout

Text wrap is applied inconsistently from column to column, i.e. text will offset by uneven amounts in adjacent columns. This happens for all types of Text Wrap except for the Jump Wrap, which does not misalign the top two lines of text!
    The only fix I could manage was to Force All Lines to the Baseline Grid, and redraw the bottom Text Wrap line unevenly for the two columns. The images attached show first the problem and second the fix.
    I believe this started happening with the introduction of CC versions, but I'm not 100% sure of that timing.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Based-on Master Pages don't inherit Primary Text Frame

When we create new documents with facing pages and Primary Text Frames on, new master pages are then created based on that original master page.

I would expect them to inherit the same threading and Primary Text Frame designation as the original, but they don't. Only the text frame on the right hand master page is designated as part of the primary text flow, and the frames are no longer threaded. Designers have to check every based-on master, re-designate the primary text flow, and re-thread the frames.

The steps to reproduce are:
    1. Create a new document with Facing Pages…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Adobe Indesign Ruler - Corrupt Display

Adobe Indesign Ruler - Corrupt Display.
    When opening a document and mousing thru the document the display of the ruler starts to add "marks" in the measurements.
    We have been able to reproduce this in versions 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018.
    We have gone and used the rename "enUS" method and it only works temporarily.
    The issue is sporadic and can happen on new documents or old.
    Also sporadic through out the versions as well - same document can happen on one version and not another version.
    All application updates have been applied as well as Mac OS updates for…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. indesign not printing

I recently upgraded to Mojave. I have the Adobe Creative Suite Premium and a Canon ip3500. Printing from the internet and PDF work fine. Illustrator CC 2019 and InDesign CC 2019 won't print directly from the app. I find it silly and inefficient to save a document as a PDF for printing.What happened and how do I fix it?

When I send the file to print, the printer goes through the motion but all I get is a super faint outline of the art. The image is a solid fill of 100% black. The printout is a 20% outline of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. short name in wrong order in TOC

In an index listing by surname of the author the name Li, J. is wrongly placed after Libeau, M. I put this to the forum but nobody can find a fault or fix. See https://forums.adobe.com/message/10822337#10822337

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Vector graphics randomly vanish upon transformation in high quality display mode

If I have a simple InDesign document with a placed .ai or .pdf graphic, and set display quality to "high quality", then proceed to transform the frame using ctrl+shift+drag, the content of the frame will randomly disappear. To get it to display again I have to zoom in or out, or toggle between preview mode. Where multiple objects are on the page sometimes just the one I'm transforming will go, and sometimes others will vanish as well. See the attached video for a demonstration.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Publish Online Does not work if you have Allow Download (Print) chosen.

Publish Online will get stuck at 98% if you choose the option to allow for download (Print). Even if you go to the Advanced tab and change the PDF settings, it still will not work.

Ver. 14.0.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base