1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Table of Contents

Table of Contents styles should be able to take a selected page range, and generate a TOC based on only that page range.

Many books have multiple TOCs these days — a master TOC up front, and TOCs at the beginning of each chapter or section, and often a hidden TOC that is used to generate PDF bookmarks.

Being able to limit page ranges would mean less manually edited of generated TOCs, faster TOC generation, and needing to use fewer paragraph/character styles to handle them!

67 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to add color labels to individual styles to better organize and manage large lists of styles

Similar to how pages can be labeled with a color (also see layer colors in Photoshop).

67 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow native generation of barcodes

The new QR code capability in InDesign is very handy and speeds up workflow. Please include similar functionality for all barcode types, including those such as: EAN, PostNet, UPC-A, UPC-E, KIX, ISBN, ISSN and others. The user should simply select the barcode type, enter the relevant data, and then InDesign will create a barcode in the proper size according to the standards. Of course, if the user wants to change the size for some reason, the object could be scaled. Allow selection of foreground and background color for the barcode, including transparency as the default. This will greatly speed up…

66 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Repeat last action feature

Please, make something like MS Word, that you can repeat your last action just pressing F4. That could save a lot of time.

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SVG Export

InDesign should be able to export either entire pages or selections into SVG. The JavaScript for exporting SVG is crap. The export should also include the fonts as well as checkboxes from forms. Form fields are not supported in most of the plug-ins. SVG is a very important standard. We used ist for maps, layouts etc. shown as small preview e.g. the cover of a book, forms, adverts etc.

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "Force quit" a background task

In all the years that we've had background tasks, I've almost never been able to cancel one successfully. Whenever a task hangs up for unknown reasons, and I hit cancel, it just hangs on the 'cancelling' step and the only way to stop it is to force-quit InDesign, which can equal lost work and damaged files.

I would like to see a more assertive way to force shut down of a background task that isn't cooperating.

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Footnotes in Separate Detached Frame.

It is a very important feature to be able to customise the layout of footnotes with full control. Currently footnotes in InDesign are attached to the main text frame, & you have no control over it.

We suggest being able to have footnotes in a separate fully customisable text frame, while still being linked to the main frame!

63 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make the »instructions.txt« file choosable when packaging

Just add a button so that it will be possible to unclick the writing of the (often useless) instructions.txt file when packaging an InDesign file.

63 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Wavy line needs customize option!

We need “Wavy line” customize option, such as:
    (1) weight (2) wave height (3) wavelength (4) single/double line selection
    (see fig1.png and fig2.png)

Current wavy line design is not good for professional.
    When we change weight, the wavy size is automatically changed. We can’t control the size of wave.
    When we need to control the size and shape of wavy line, we have to create appropriate one by Illustrator, then link them. This takes lots of times of us.
    "Wavy line" customize option will definitely help us a lot.
    Japanese clients often designate to use wavy lines to underline.
    With…

62 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. select similar

It would be helpful to have a select similar feature for lines and other drawn objects like in illustrator because sometimes I need to change a bunch of things to a different line weight and currently must manually find and change them. I always miss it when I'm working in Indesign instead of Illustrator.

62 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Border also as character style instead of only paragraph style

Title describes itself. I would like to have the ability to "span" one or more characters instead of a whole paragraph and assign a border to them. Just like I'm able to do with css

62 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Endnotes as bibliography, reference one source multiple times.

When creating a bibliography often times you must reference one source multiple times.

the way that it is set up now, adding a new endnote creates a new entry at the bottom. there is no way to reference something twice.

Obviously this creates concerns when considering navigation, as it works both ways now.

61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. please add the tools math and chemistry equation,

please add the tools or plugins ,how can create a math and chemistry equation in adobe indesign cs6 or cc upgrade version, i can't create a equation. i used olad applcaition adobe pagemaker 5 or 7 i can create the math and chemistry equation in it , but i cant create a equitation in it i used the 3rd party plugin
    http://www.mathmagic.com/product/pro.html , this appcation i used it in adobe pagemaker, but this plugin i can't used it in indign cc or cs6 , i want a eqautiion in text document in default setting , size and font ,
    reply…

61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. GREP code table

Make a GREP code for table in Find/Change box dialogue

60 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need More Info  ·  Anonymous responded

Hi All,

Can you explain how this would be used, is the end goal to find a some stuff restricting the search to Tables, or is it something else. It would really help if you can share how you plan to use this new GREP code for tables.

Thanks
    Javed

15. Relative Link Paths for InDesign

At this company we work in teams on many project simultaneously along with a massive server of shared assets. Talking to my colleagues in other companies this is quite a common thing these days. We mostly work off of InDesign for the majority of our projects. As InDesign uses linked files for composition/layout, we keep our server organized. All IDD files are worked from directly off of our server, no files are stored on any person's computer locally.

We don't need to package everything (only rarely, for sharing to external entities) because all of the content already exists on the…

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Outline stroke

I think it'd be handy if you could draw a line and convert it to a shape, like in Illustrator.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Table of Contents: Character Style Improvements

TOCs need to be able to do three different things with character styles that are included in text in a generated TOC:

1. The Character Style stays present in the TOC (this is currently what InDesign does)

2. The Character Style is stripped.

3. The Character Style is mapped to another character style.

These settings should accessible in the Style: <stylename> section of the TOC options -- customizable for each paragraph style used to generate the TOC.

The most notable use for the mapping style is when the typeface between the TOC and the body text of the book differs, or when the…

57 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. GREP styles as stand-alone named styles

I use GREP styles a lot, and they are very convenient! But I often have to use the same GREP styles in different paragraph styles. Sometimes they consist of rather complex long expressions, and their transfer to another publication becomes difficult and time-consuming. GREP styles should be placed in a separate list, similar to the other stylesheets, and each of them must have its own name, with which they can be included in the paragraph style.

57 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Text variables to include auto numbers

When creating a text variable, it would be great to have it capture the auto numbering, e.g. if the heading is "1. Introduction" and the number is set as an auto number to the paragraph style, then the text variable that references that paragraph style should also pick up the number. At the moment, all you get from the text variable is "Introduction". Or at least have that as an option!

57 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow bullets and numbers to hang outside of the text frame

There is currently no way to make a bullet or number hang outside of a text frame properly. The "optical margin alignment" feature control is iffy at best.

Attached are two photos that show what I mean.

In the first example, the "Correct" green bullets are not achievable in InDesign unless every other paragraph except for the bulleted paragraph has an additional positive left indent on all of its lines. It would be so much easier if we could just add a negative left indent to the first line of the bulleted paragraphs.

In the second example, a document that…

56 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base