1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

4891 results found

1. Would like to be able to include fonts and links from linked Illustrator files when packaging an InDesign file for print

would like to be able to collect fonts and links in linked AI and PS files when packaging an ID file for print.

95 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style

I'd like the option to not add space between paragraphs of the same style, even if those paragraphs have space above or below. Microsoft Word has a checkbox that does this, and it's great for list styles. You can create a list style with space above and below and then check that box so that space only appears before and after the list, not between list items.

In order to achieve the same effect in InDesign, you need three or more styles (one with space above but not below for the first item, one without space above or below for…

95 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Move "missing links" prompt to before PDF export dialogue.

Please move the "missing fonts" or "missing links" prompts to BEFORE the PDF naming and features preferences. I makes me nuts when navigate to where I'm dropping the final export, then name it, only to have an alert pop up telling me I'm missing something. I should be told that IMMEDIATELY.

95 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. HEIF/HEIC

Ability to import heif/heic files just like any other vector format (.ai, .pdf, .eps, etc.)

94 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. disable "live-update" of cross-references

we are working on large document (about 600 pages) with many cross-references (over 3000).
    This leads to a very slow performance and makes working with the document a real test of patience.
    It would be great to have an option to temporarily disable the "live-update" of the cross-references!

92 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Dependent font sizes

Allow for Character styles to have a font size relative to the underlying Paragraph style by adding and subtracting (or even multiplication and division). A Character style’s font size could be -2 pt or +2 pt for example. If the Paragraph style’s font size is 14 pt, the Character style’s fonts size would result in 12 pt or 16 pt. This is very practical for optical adjustment of different typefaces for example, keeping everything dynamic.

92 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Grep style formatting for variables

Active linked variables and Grep styles do not work together.

When you use variables and paragraph formats with Grep styles, you have to set the variable back to text and lose the link, to enable formatting with the Grep style.

Variables should be handled by InDesign like normal text, with all features of formatting etc.

89 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. color picker isn't consistent with other software.

Please allow users to change color picker to Photoshop color picker. Indesign is great except for the nuisance of having a horrible UI for the color picker. I make all my colors in photoshop copy the code then paste it into Indesign.

86 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    Starting Id 16.0 we introduced HSB in Color Picker.
    Does that resolve inconsistency issue for you?

Please tell us in the comments.

Regards,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    Product Manager, InDesign

9. Repeat last action feature

Please, make something like MS Word, that you can repeat your last action just pressing F4. That could save a lot of time.

86 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Publish Online for INDB (book) file

Please extend Publish Online to Books. I use recurring elements as chapters in presentations and would like to publish online instead of exporting and transmitting PDF files.

86 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Groups, Smart Groups, and Searching in Links Panel

The links panel should support Groups and Smart Groups. Large numbers of links in projects -- especially those that include a lot of InCopy assignments -- get unwieldy.

Ideally you would be able to make groups and manually move links into them, and also create smart groups that would automatically update. Ideas for common filters that smart groups would be used for:

All CMKY images, all non-CMYK images, all InCopy links, all links that need to be updated, all links that are embedded or not, all links that are currently on a Hidden Layer or hidden via conditional text, etc.

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Easy way to convert text to outline while exporting

Most of our printers still ask for fonts to be outlined.
    Unfortunately the process to outline is very complicated and usually results in bullets, text box backgrounds and underline/over-lines disappearing. I also don't always want to flatten the whole document but simply rasterize the text. Especially when sending something to print that has different ink layers. Being able to outline text in the Export dialog box would be the best solution. This way I don't have to save a separate document or undo all my changes before saving so I retain my text in the Indd file.

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. SVG Export

InDesign should be able to export either entire pages or selections into SVG. The JavaScript for exporting SVG is crap. The export should also include the fonts as well as checkboxes from forms. Form fields are not supported in most of the plug-ins. SVG is a very important standard. We used ist for maps, layouts etc. shown as small preview e.g. the cover of a book, forms, adverts etc.

83 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. please add the tools math and chemistry equation,

please add the tools or plugins ,how can create a math and chemistry equation in adobe indesign cs6 or cc upgrade version, i can't create a equation. i used olad applcaition adobe pagemaker 5 or 7 i can create the math and chemistry equation in it , but i cant create a equitation in it i used the 3rd party plugin
    http://www.mathmagic.com/product/pro.html , this appcation i used it in adobe pagemaker, but this plugin i can't used it in indign cc or cs6 , i want a eqautiion in text document in default setting , size and font ,
    reply…

81 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Page range(s) and pages/spreads options in Share for Review

Export options for Share for Review

Ability to select page range(s), individual pages vs spreads, etc. directly in the export process, not buried in the last PDF export settings.

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Table of Contents

Table of Contents styles should be able to take a selected page range, and generate a TOC based on only that page range.

Many books have multiple TOCs these days — a master TOC up front, and TOCs at the beginning of each chapter or section, and often a hidden TOC that is used to generate PDF bookmarks.

Being able to limit page ranges would mean less manually edited of generated TOCs, faster TOC generation, and needing to use fewer paragraph/character styles to handle them!

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Properties Panel More Options

I quite like the idea of the new Properties Panel, but it would be great to have the options to have the "More Options" items to be expanded permanently. Right now the auto collapse once you change from item to item. I understand if you are working on a laptop, the fact that they auto collapse is helpful but when you are working on a large screen I don't want to keep looking for my options. Please add a preference that makes the expanded options sticky.
    Thanks, Julian

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Adobe InDesign team

18. Bug in Merge paragraph borders

There is a bug in merge paragraph borders of CC 13.1. In thread text frames, the border is displayed immediately after end of paragraph.

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Adds the option to create sidenotes on Indiesign

Adding a built-in option to create side-notes in Indiesign, such comments that come next to the text where they are numbered. In addition, there will be control over whether to insert a separator between them and the main text, as well as control of the numbering style, and the paragraph or character style applied to them. Adding or subtracting one comment will update the number and position of the other comments, and if one comment goes beyond the page boundaries - move its content to the next page.
    Also, the designer should be given the choice of three options -…

78 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Option to have list indents work near text-wrap objects

Currently, when text containing bulleted or numbered lists wraps around an object, all indents associated with the list settings are ignored (this might be related to tab settings, since those don't follow the wrap either). The typical workaround is to change the Text After to an en-space and add an "Indent to Here" character, but the en-space trick won't work for numbered lists and "Indent to Here" won't work if the text wrap edge is not perfectly straight vertical. See the attached screenshot for a demonstration based on real work I did yesterday. In order not to disrupt existing layouts,…

78 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is available in the latest InDesign version - InDesign 2023. The fix should solve most of the issues that were seen earlier.

A new option "Honor Text Indents in addition to Text Wrap" is introduced in Preferences > Composition dialog. It is turned ON by default for new documents created in ID2023. For documents created in previous InDesign versions, this option is turned off by default - which can be turned ON to see the improved behavior.

Please let us know how the fix is working for you.

--

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base