Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. The link is set to "anyone with link can comment" but it's still requiring a password

I have created a share for review link for others to comment on, however it's requiring them to log into an account even though it's set to "Anyone with the link can comment". This was not the case before, others could comment as a guest. Using InDesign 2024 v19.0.1

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. M1 Mac Graphic Problems Continue

As others have mentioned InDesign graphic performance on M1 Macs is unacceptable. This was marked as "fixed" but it continues with macOS Ventura 13.0.1 and InDesign 18. For example, the screen does not always redraw when scrolling or jumping to a different page until you move your pointer. Switching to a different program and then back to InDesign also fixes the problem for a while. It doesn't matter whether GPU Performance is on or off. This is the most fundamental functionality. Please figure it out and fix it once and for all.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. GPU Performance makes colours dull/desaturated

With GPU Performance enabled, all colours appear desaturated. In fact, it looks like colour management is simply turned off. Please note, this is not a Transparency Blend Space issue. It affects Spot, RGB and CMYK colours.

With GPU Performance disabled, colours appear vibrant and correct. It would be great to have this issue resolved, as I certainly want to take advantage of the GPU when using InDesign.

InDesign 2023 v18.0
    MacOS Ventura 13.0
    MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB RAM

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Issues with epub quality on the new 2023 update

I'm a book publisher. I downloaded the latest InDesign update last week. I created the files and saved them like in the previous software. However, the vendors are all rejecting the epub files stating they're not validating in their epub software. I had to go redownload the prior version of InDesign, and it works like a charm. The glitch seems to be in the new version of the InDesign software.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Window and panels moving when Mac goes to sleep

There is an issue with Adobe apps while using Mac M1 with an external monitor. When put in sleep, the windows and palettes move to the bottom half of the screen.

There are comments on this thread that confirm

this is an issue with specifically Adobe apps(illustrator, photoshop and indesign at least):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/window-and-panels-moving-when-mac-goes-to-sle...

please, Adobe support, address this issue.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Menu bar gets stuck - Indesign on M1 Pro mac

On a regular basis the pull down menus in Indesign will stop reacting properly: Clicking menu item will select the topic (screenshot 1), but not pull down the menu. A second click AND hold will pull down the menu, but all the sub-menus remain unavailable, they will not pull out. The issue is persisent: Restarting Indesign does not fix it once it starts occuring, but restarting the computer will fix it. The issue may be OS related, but it only occurs in Indesign, and only on my M1 Pro computer, not my older Intel mac.

The issue usually occurs after…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Indesign 2022 (17.1.0.50) IDLK file does not lock

This problem was recently flagged as resolved, but despite the newest InDesign and MacOS versions it is still possible for two users to open the same Indesign file. We are working on a network volume over SMB and it is possible for my colleague to open the same file I am working with. The *.idlk file was generated by the first user, but it is not recognized by the second Indesign user and sometimes subsequently just disappears.

I also tried to reproduce this issue with Indesign 2020 but all worked just as expected.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Missing Glyphs on PDF export in InDesign v17.0

using the google font Signika, quotation marks and colons give me a missing glyph upon export to pdf. When using v16.4, this is not an issue.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Indesign M1 Beta expired

The beta suddenly stopped working and won't allow med to access InDesign on the M1 machine, no update on the Creative cloud installer beta section, and removing and reinstalling the app doesn't solve it.

Will there come a new beta update soon?

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Find ‘Book’ font style bug

In InDesign 2021 (the latest version both on Mac and Windows), I add a text frame and fill it with placeholder text which is set, by default, to Minion Pro - Regular.
    Then I go to the find-change dialog box and set 'find format > basic character format > font style' to Book.
    And guess what happens when I hit the ‘find next’ button? It selects all the ‘regular text. (The document has no text with the 'book' font style applied!)
    Selecting another style — e.g. Bold, Italic, etc. — results, as expected, in the 'cannot find match' alert.
    Looks…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. hyperlink accessibility

Hyperlinks with alt text added in the accessibility section get lost when saving to .idml.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. indesign review keeps reverting to resolved

This happens very frequently.

I will be going through user comments given online in the Indesign Review tab. As I do them I resolve them. This works fine.

But then suddenly and randomly it will just decide to change my filter to show all resolved! Then all the old issues magically appear in the tab again until I go back to filter and unselect the Resolved button.

Then it happens again. And again. It happens only when I go to change something in the document but it doesn't seem to matter what type of issue i'm doing. Replacing text. Deleting,…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Drop shadow in exported PDF is a different size

Certain drop shadows have a different size when they appear in an exported PDF.

In the attached example, the black shapes each have a drop shadow effect in yellow. When exported, the shadows appear shorter and narrower. The difference is approximately 20 pt narrower and 1 pt shorter. (Note the difference in proportion of the yellow drop shadow and black shape in the screenshots.) I've also included the drop shadow effect attributes.

This occurs with multiple PDF export settings including the default [High Quality Print]. I am able to reproduce this behavior in both InDesign versions 15.1.2 and 16.0.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting. We will review the issue shortly.

-InDesign Team

15. cross-reference bug InDesign 2020

I'm working with a 50-page document using the latest version of InDesign (15.1.1 x64) on Windows 10. Cross-reference not only takes minutes to create but also takes that amount of time to update. It's become a useless feature of InDesign.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Share for Review SYNC Broken

I use "Share" > "Share for Review" on a Program for review by multiple departments for edits. I received notifications of over 200 edits, but upon opening the InDesign file to begin changes, the "Window" > "Comments" > "Review" Panel data is empty and again says "Create Review".

So the connection from my online review and the source InDesign is broken. Additionally, there is no option to save that online version as a pdf to import the comments via that option in "Window" > "Comments" > "PDF Comments"

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve released an update to InDesign – 15.1.2

Please update to this latest version and see if the issues you were facing earlier have got resolved.

Remember to check how you are signed into your CC account and if need be, sign out and sign in again. Since Share for Review is a service and dependent on your login to your Adobe ID account, it is important that CCD app is working well with your credentials.

Adobe InDesign team

17. Slow performance - spinning wheel - AdobeFnt22.lst

Hi Adobe, we are still having major issues with a lot of spinning wheels in InDesign version 15.1.1. because of the AdobeFnt22.lst files that are created with every document. Basically when we open a document it resyncs/updates the AdobeFnt22.lst file of every document that was previously worked from that Mac. This is causing a lot of network traffic and spinning wheels in InDesign. The problem is fixed if we restart the Mac or rename the "Document fonts" folder so that InDesign no longer uses the fonts so does not create an "AdobeFnt.lst" file. Can you please sort this out, it…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We will review it shortly.

-InDesign Team

18. Print doc from the "share for review" page

To review a document, some people like to print it to have a better look at it.

Currently there is no option to print from the new "share for review" page, but having it would be very useful for some.
    Otherwise we still need to make and send a separate pdfs for review.

So, it would be appreciated if you can somehow add it.

Sincerely
    JP

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign 2020 15.0.1 CEP panel size bug on Windows HiDPI with scaling > 100%

On some Windows workstations, my InDesign CEP panel has the wrong size (way too large). This looks like a re-surfacing of the old bug mentioned here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/get-started/cep-panel-wrong-size-in-cc2018/td-p/9660228?page=1

• Version:

InDesign version 15.0.1

• Steps to reproduce:

Install this dummy sample 'Hello World' panel into InDesign 15.0.1 on Windows 10 on a workstation with a HiDPI display. Make sure the Windows Display Scaling it set to 100%

https://rorohiko.com/downloads/ID2020PanelSizeBug/ID2020PanelSizeBug.1.0.0.zxp

Run InDesign, open the panel -> should be OK.

Quit InDesign, change the Windows display scaling to 200%

Run InDesign, open the panel -> panel is extraordinary large. See screenshots on

https://coppieters.nz/?p=333

• Expected result:

Panel…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Duplicating pages moves content

It seems duplicating pages in Indesign 2019 or 2020 moves content around the page. This is the first time I have experienced this after opening an old file, saving it as a new file and then trying to duplicate a page. The fix I found for this is to UNTICK 'Adjust layout' in the 'Layout/Margins and Columns' dialogue box and then try duplicating the page again. This time the content should not move. Definitely an adjust layout bug.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base