Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. File rename

InDesign 13.0 running Mac OX 10.12.6

If and INDD file is renamed in the Finder when it's open in InDesign, saving the file will cause an error dialog to appear saying "Changes cannot be save as InDesign can no longer access the '[filepath:newfilename]' file. Place the file in the original location and try again." This error message appears whether trying to do a simple save or even Save As.

This error appears even though both the window header and the file name in the error message both reflect the changed (not the original) file name.

Unless file is restored to…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

2. InDesign CC 2018 crashes when copying a text box

I just downloaded ID CC 2018 and every time I copy and paste a text box, whether inside the same document or a different one, the entire program crashes.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

3. Placing and Moving Images Changes Opacity

If I place an image and then try to move it within the bounding box, the opacity appears to change to around 50%. However, the opacity is still set to 100%. I can correct it by hitting Undo which reverts the image back to normal. From what I can tell, it is only a visual bug. Exporting the image doesn't show the change in opacity.

I haven't been able to reproduce this issue consistently but would say it happens around 80% of the time I try to move an image. Another interesting thing is that if the issue happens and…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Closed: Fixed  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. We are already aware about this issue inside “InDesign CC2017”.
    Hence, we have fixed this issue inside our latest release “InDesign CC2018”. Please try it out.

If you still face this issue inside our new release please do let us know.

4. Based-on Master Pages don't inherit Primary Text Frame

When we create new documents with facing pages and Primary Text Frames on, new master pages are then created based on that original master page.

I would expect them to inherit the same threading and Primary Text Frame designation as the original, but they don't. Only the text frame on the right hand master page is designated as part of the primary text flow, and the frames are no longer threaded. Designers have to check every based-on master, re-designate the primary text flow, and re-thread the frames.

The steps to reproduce are:
    1. Create a new document with Facing Pages…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. endnote

There appears to be a bug in the endnote linking when exported to PDF from InDesign. I'm running InDesign 13.0.1 x64 (Windows).

When I export an InDesign document as a PDF, endnote linking (from the reference to the text and v.v.) is incorrect.

Please see https://forums.adobe.com/message/10048963 for the full discussion. In short:

Create a document with multiple sections (e.g. 1st section with 9 pages, 2nd section with 125 pages). Endnotes in second section will link nine pages too early (e.g., if you have an endnote on page 122, clicking on the endnote in the PDF will link to page 113.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Object Style Size and Frame Fitting bug

Where is what I did:
    Create an Object style that has the size height and width set (I used 4x3in) AND the Frame Fitting Options set (I tried Fill Frame Proportionally with and without Auto-Fit). Import some photos. I did 4 at once and click-&-dragged them at different sizes. Frame size is correct, but frame fitting is ignored. It has to be applied manually after placement.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Gray box replaces images

Adobe InDesign 13.0.1
    Mac OS 10.11.6

Today for first time, I had three similar 8-page newspaper documents open and one of them displayed only a gray box where the front page photo (full page image) had displayed before. I tried checking all display settings and could not bring the image back. Meanwhile, other full page ads got gray boxes also. The other two documents displayed similar content with no problem.

I quit InDesign, and re-opend problem document. It then displayed all of the images properly.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Closed: Fixed  ·  8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. EPUB Interactivity panel resizes

In the release version of InDesign CC 2018, when you resize the EIP panel, then close it or make it part of a workspace, it should open at the same size you left it.

In CC 2018, it opens in the size you last left it, but immediately snaps to a very small size, forcing you to resize it EVERY time.

This makes working with interactive features very cumbersome. Please fix! Thank you.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

9. The "Find" function doesn't work properly. It writes backward or not at all

The "Find" function doesn't work properly. It writes backward or not at all

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign Crashes when Scrolling the document

My file continually crashes whenever I attempt to scroll down on the document.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve fixed the issue with InDesign’s latest Mar’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-march-2018-13-1-release-notes.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

11. Embedded Publish Online doc fails in Firefox

Embedded Publish Online pages do not behave properly (i.e., go to full screen mode) in the latest release of Firefox 62.0.3 on Mac.

Please go to these two websites and click on the embedded document. It will attempt to go to full screen, but the cover only is jammed in the upper left corner of the screen. You can't navigate or do anything to fix that I've found. This is a serious problem, as many people have embedded Publish Online pages in their websites.

http://www.andreanienhaus.de/
    http://www.atlasdergisi.com/dijital/yaban-karacadag.html

Could someone else check this with Firefox and let me know the result?

And…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. excel import filter fails formatting

When importing an Excel spreadsheet, formatted cells are incorrectly imported.

E.g., place the following one-cell spreadsheet in CC 2018 (not tested in earlier, but I imagine it's true there), and you'll see either "10,000,000,000,000.0." in the cell (under macOS) or "1,000.0" (under Windows).

Needless to say, this is a critical bug for people using Excel with InDesign, since it causes serious mis-representations of imported numbers.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Table header is missing after copy/paste

When I copy/paste a table, the header line is missing. My workaround is to change the height of the next line, then the header line appears. Then I change the height back to the actual height.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Indesign cuts off effects on PDF Export

InDesign cuts off effects on PDF Exports if they get too large. (Also to mention... menues look different fot Font or Object Effects... someone realigned one of them and forgot the others.)

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: CC 2017.1 with Tablefix
    Steps to reproduce the issues: Create a new Document that's wide enough e.g. 5000mm (happend to us on a big Banner) – Write Text - Use Effect "Bevel" - Export to PDF and watch it fail.
    Expected result: A Text with the applied effect
    Actual result: The Effect gets cut off (we almost printed a job…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

15. Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

CC 2018
    Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

When trying to PLACE an EPS file get the above error. Reinstalled CC 2017 and using the exact same file works. Attached is the EPS file that we used.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

16. Identical shapes on different layers end up different sizes when scaled together using the selection tool

1) This bug occurred on InDesign cc2017 and CS6. 2) Follow these steps to replicate the bug: create a shape, let's say a circle, and then copy this circle and paste it in a separate layer directly over the top of the first. To better see the effects of the bug, make the fill of the top circle red, and the bottom blue. At this point, the bottom blue circle is completely hidden by the red circle above it. Now put a 4pt stroke with an outside alignment on the bottom blue circle. The blue circle is still hidden, and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. story editor

In my notes, the first character is always substituted with a missing font symbol. It looks fine in the main layout window, but this odd behavior occurs both in the Notes panel, as well as the same note when displayed in the story editor.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. import options are collapsed (CC2017)

when importing a file, the import options are collapsed, so you always have to check if the "import options" are marked. can reproduce. should be uncollapsed like the versions before.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Change to gap tool made it useless for measurement

PRior to the latest update I could use the gap tool to hover between items and see in a moment the distance between them. Now the text color is so pale I can barely see it when hovering. Probably not an intentional change.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have made improvements to the readability aspect in the Control panel fields when using the Gap Tool in InDesign CC 2018. You will see a marked change as compared to InDesign CC 2017.
    Closing this thread as we are no more hearing from users about this issue.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

20. CC 2019 Repeated Crashing when switching to the text tool from the move tool

Experiencing repeated crashes when selecting the Text tool. Does not happen every time, but has happened at least 5 times in the last 10 minutes. Windows 10, newest version of CC2019.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base