Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

186 results found

1. InDesign 2019 Fails to open properly and freezes.

I recently updated to InDesign 2019 and had no problem using it last week.
    Today it is not opening properly, taking around 10 minutes to open a file, then freezes the second I try to do anything in a text box.

It has occurred with every file I've tried, multiple times.
    I have also tried ending all InDesign processes and restarting my computer.

Not sure if anyone else has come across this issue?

InDesign CC 2019: v 14.0
    Windows 10: v 1803

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

2. Installing InDesign 2024 wiped all my preferences and workspaces

Just as the title said - preferences and workspaces wiped, despite ensuring the checkbox 'import exisiting preferences' was turned on during install.

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2024(v19.0.1.205). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. png transparent background showing black

Importing this icon and the transparent background is showing as black in current inDesign CC. Didn't have issues with similar icons from same site.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.0.96). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. [Break in CC 2018] Text frame properties lost when copying and pasting frames across document

I have a document that uses top justification in a text frame, and bottom justification in another text frame. When I copy these frames, with or without any other objects, into a new document (think business card imposition), the bottom justification changes to top justification, altering the layout of the document.

I have reset my preferences, and tried the fixes described here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2402361 and here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2401857

With no success.

Attached is a 1UP file (Original with mixed justification) and a 24UP file (with resulting error)

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

6. content aware fit and linked images problem

Content aware fit is a great idea and is potentially a real timesaver when importing images but I've had to disable it as when updating existing linked images that have been adjusted, rather than keep their size/scale as before they all auto-fit and this is a nightmare when you have carefully placed images such as logos in a long document.

Could do with an option to auto fit on image import only, or an option to override when updating image links. Unless I've missed something?

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

7. CC2018 exporting pixelated PDF

Every export setting is giving same result.. Some have hidden items showing up. all have pixilations. Illustrator is exporting perfectly, I use 1 of 2 export settings for everything we do here.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

8. InDesign 14.0. freezes after opening

After opening InDesign 14.0 I can open project. But as soon a leave first running screen with InDesign, work on 2nd Screen or even just opening explorer or browse in the internet, InDesign 14.0 is freezing. I cannot even close it. I have to restart the system. In fact I cannot work with it. I have to run 13.1 (2018) to work with ID.
    I am working with Desktop PC and Win10

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

9. InDesign CC 2018 workspace loading incorrectly

Since InDesign 2015 I have had the workspace customised for daily use however every time I restart InDesign my workspace shows it’s still selected however the panels collapse and some disappear entirely. I need to select reset workspace every single time without changing anything else and it goes back to my setup.

Is there a way to make this remember, as I thought saving workspaces is what this is supposed to be doing? And considering that I can reset my workspace and it does come back then something else is happening.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

10. 2019 workspace not sticking

upon opening a new document in Indesign 2019, workspace needs to be reset every time to return to preferred working environment.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

11. PDF Export

InDesign CC2019 / PDF Export Print (Druck)
    It is no longer possible to export correctly to PDF x3 or x4; and it is no longer possible to change the export settings of colour profiles (for example to FOGRA 39 or ISO Coated etc…)

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. InDesign 2024 starts with "CreateObject("InDesign.Application.2023")" in an environment where 2023 and 2024 coexist.

Reproduction steps
    1. InDesign 2023 (18.x) is installed on Windows
    2. Install InDesign 2024 (19.0) there.
    3. Run the following code in VBScript.
    Set myInDesign = CreateObject("InDesign.Application.2023")

Expected result
    InDesign 2024 (19.0) will start.

Actual result
    InDesign 2023 (18.0) will start.

cause
    InDesign 2024 installer is overwriting the 2023 registry.
    \HKCR\CLSID{231441AB-8969-4F6D-8CD1-B596C4047898}
    is the registry for InDesign 2023, but the InDesign 2024 installer has rewritten the contents to InDesign 2024. The same goes for related registries.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2024(v19.0.1.205). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Multiple variables in a TOC

While having headlines with zwo or more variables in the document, the TOC will be horrible wrong - it looks like a variable-puzzle.

This mistake destroys any dream of creating efficiently catalogues and users are forced to use any kind of dirty-trick or handle on very expensive way a "handmade-process".

This Bug is known since CS5.x.
    So please: Repair this Bug - now!

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

14. 24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Type 1 font warning for no reason

I am getting a warning that my document contains type 1 fonts (10 of them) when they do not (contains 4 OTF fonts).

As far as I know, I have never used a type one font in any document on my current computer which is only a few weeks old ... Mac mini with t1 chip.

InDesign version 17.0.1

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Indesign CC 2018 Crash

Issues with the updated Indesign crashing when inserting any text or images. Comes up with Indesign stopped working crash error.

Major issue as this is part of my job... How do I revert back to the old one whilst this is fixed??

Thanks

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

17. 23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Changing font in Character Panel frequently causes a crash in Indesign CC 2018

Since 2018 version, changing a font in the character panel frequently crashes the application, but not 100% of the time. Font worked fine in older version and sometimes works fine in 2018, but the same issue has happened a good few times in the last week or so.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

19. Export PDF, cannot cancel background task

Sometimes, there is no way to cancel a background pdf export task.

No way to close the document either, only hard quitting works.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

20. Adobe InDesign 2024(v19.0) - Users are facing issues while scrolling using Trackpad/Touchpad

I have installed the upgrade to Adobe InDesign 2024 (build 19.0) while keeping version 2023 (build 18.5) and have encountered the following problem:

• After opening a document, the mouse scroll wheel does not seem to work (i.e. it is not possible to scroll up or down the contents of a page). However, this condition still works in InDesign version 2023.

Has anyone encountered the same problem and found a solution?

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base