Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. CC 2019 Repeated Crashing when switching to the text tool from the move tool

Experiencing repeated crashes when selecting the Text tool. Does not happen every time, but has happened at least 5 times in the last 10 minutes. Windows 10, newest version of CC2019.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

2. In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

118 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Following up on the comments stating that the issue is yet not fixed, we did our investigation and found that, the issues being called out in the comment section, though maybe relevant but are different than the one for which this thread was originally created.

This particular thread caters to a very specific case which has been fixed in the last update of InDesign.

If you continue to face performance related issues with InDesign, we sincerely request you to create a separate thread so that we can categorize the performance related issues and address them completely.
    In addition to track the performance issues effectively, it will also enable us to reach out to you in a organised manner when we investigate into each category of performance issues.

We are extremely sorry for the troubles you are facing with InDesign and we are determined to resolve them as efficiently…

3. InDesign 2019 Fails to open properly and freezes.

I recently updated to InDesign 2019 and had no problem using it last week.
    Today it is not opening properly, taking around 10 minutes to open a file, then freezes the second I try to do anything in a text box.

It has occurred with every file I've tried, multiple times.
    I have also tried ending all InDesign processes and restarting my computer.

Not sure if anyone else has come across this issue?

InDesign CC 2019: v 14.0
    Windows 10: v 1803

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

4. PDF Export

InDesign CC2019 / PDF Export Print (Druck)
    It is no longer possible to export correctly to PDF x3 or x4; and it is no longer possible to change the export settings of colour profiles (for example to FOGRA 39 or ISO Coated etc…)

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign 14.0. freezes after opening

After opening InDesign 14.0 I can open project. But as soon a leave first running screen with InDesign, work on 2nd Screen or even just opening explorer or browse in the internet, InDesign 14.0 is freezing. I cannot even close it. I have to restart the system. In fact I cannot work with it. I have to run 13.1 (2018) to work with ID.
    I am working with Desktop PC and Win10

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

6. 65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Regards,
    InDesign Team

7. Clicking document-installed font from font list gives error to "activate font" and doesn't change font.

InDesign 14.0 on Windows 10 x64

I just upgraded to InDesign 14.0, and there appears to be a bug when clicking a document-installed font from the font list. The font list gives an error message to "Click 'Activate' button to activate fonts" and the text frame keeps the existing font, instead of changing to the new font.

Expected result:
    The expected result would be the same behavior as InDesign 13.1, where you could click a document-installed font from the font list, and the text frame would update to the newly selected font.

Actual result:
    In InDesign 14.0, clicking a document-installed…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Regards,
    InDesign Team

8. Embedded Publish Online doc fails in Firefox

Embedded Publish Online pages do not behave properly (i.e., go to full screen mode) in the latest release of Firefox 62.0.3 on Mac.

Please go to these two websites and click on the embedded document. It will attempt to go to full screen, but the cover only is jammed in the upper left corner of the screen. You can't navigate or do anything to fix that I've found. This is a serious problem, as many people have embedded Publish Online pages in their websites.

http://www.andreanienhaus.de/
    http://www.atlasdergisi.com/dijital/yaban-karacadag.html

Could someone else check this with Firefox and let me know the result?

And…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. ID 13.1 – no longer accepts mp4 media format?

InDesign 13.1

EXISTING mp4s placed in ID file (for viewing in exported Interactive PDF) no longer work (link not found (yellow triangle), and then when manually re-linked, link shows error in palette (red circle question mark).

Trying to place NEW mp4s, and although file(s) can be found, nothing is placed. Have googled and found nothing.

Updates to CC appear to have happened overnight, and I didn't have any issues last week.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know if the issue is resolved for you in InDesign 14.0.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

11. Indesign keeps crashing whatever i do I have cleared preferences and deleted recovery files please help

Indesign keeps crashing whatever i do I have cleared preferences and deleted recovery files please help

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

12. Based-on Master Pages don't inherit Primary Text Frame

When we create new documents with facing pages and Primary Text Frames on, new master pages are then created based on that original master page.

I would expect them to inherit the same threading and Primary Text Frame designation as the original, but they don't. Only the text frame on the right hand master page is designated as part of the primary text flow, and the frames are no longer threaded. Designers have to check every based-on master, re-designate the primary text flow, and re-thread the frames.

The steps to reproduce are:
    1. Create a new document with Facing Pages…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Placed ICML files do not appear in the Assignments panel

Placed InCopy ICML files should appear in the Assignments panel. They do not. This is under InDesign CC2018.1.

The only step needed to reproduce this is to create an InCopy file. Save it and then place in InDesign.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

14. InDesign 13.1 Crash when show "Margins and Columns" Dialog and click "OK"

1. Version InDesign 13.1
    Testing Windows 10(1709) and macos 10.13.4, same results

2. Steps
    1 Execute InDesign 13.1
    2 Show "Margins and Columns" Dialog (Application Default)
    3 Click "OK" button
    3. Expected result
    Crash InDesign
    4. Actual result
    Don't crash

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

15. excel import filter fails formatting

When importing an Excel spreadsheet, formatted cells are incorrectly imported.

E.g., place the following one-cell spreadsheet in CC 2018 (not tested in earlier, but I imagine it's true there), and you'll see either "10,000,000,000,000.0." in the cell (under macOS) or "1,000.0" (under Windows).

Needless to say, this is a critical bug for people using Excel with InDesign, since it causes serious mis-representations of imported numbers.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Publish Online Dashboard Analytics disappearing...

Apparently, the analytics for Publish Online are disappearing. Possibly anything before the most recent 25 are gone. Will those be returning? Can we recover that data? My clients need the info and sometimes request it months later, and we publish a ton of stuff using the system.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Closed: Fixed  ·  1 comment  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Repeatable InDesign Crash with Open Office Data in the Clipboard

I am running InDesign CC, the current version as of March 2018, however I have seen this same bug in older versions of the program. It is not unique to this version.

We use Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0. If there is ANYTHING in the clipboard copied from ANY part of Open Office, it will cause a repeatable InDesign crash. The clipboard data could be text from the OpenOffice Writer program or cell data from the OpenOffice Calc program...it doesn't matter.

With Open Office data in the clipboard, if I attempt to use any of the right-click menus, or choose an item…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest March ’18 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

18. cross-references bug introduced with 2018.1 update

The 2018.1 "search" added to cross-references is great and will be very helpful. Unfortunately it appears that a bug was introduced in the process of adding this feature.

When you double-click on a cross-reference in the Cross-References panel, it opens the Edit Cross References window. This used to open the window to the cross-reference you selected so you could edit it. Now, it opens the window at [All Paragraphs] with the first paragraph in this list selected.

This is a MESS for my workflow, as I now have to search through the cross-references to find and select the one I…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. BUG Keypress doesn´t respond

With updating to 13.1 March 2018 Update: When you type to a text frame you have to do it twice before the character appears in the frame. I have this problem on two Windows 10 machines...

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

95 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

20. Table header is missing after copy/paste

When I copy/paste a table, the header line is missing. My workaround is to change the height of the next line, then the header line appears. Then I change the height back to the actual height.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base