Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

41 results found

1. Using eyedropper to copy text attributes crashes InDesign CC 2018

Using the eyedropper tool to copy text attributes crashes InDesign every time.

90 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

2. Fehlercode 4/Errorcode 4 for not damaged documents

1. Adobe Indesin CC 13.01 After the last Update of Indesign time by time suddenly Indesign report a damaged file if you try to open any InDesign-Document.

Everytime after restarting the Mac everything is good and I'm fortunally able to open all o these documents.

Sometimes restarting Indesign helps, but not always.

The last 3 days it happens much to often und it nervs.

56 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign 2021 keeps crashing

InDesign has crashed about 5 times since updating the other day. My team is also having the same problem. Mac and PC.

55 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. InDesign 2019 Fails to open properly and freezes.

I recently updated to InDesign 2019 and had no problem using it last week.
    Today it is not opening properly, taking around 10 minutes to open a file, then freezes the second I try to do anything in a text box.

It has occurred with every file I've tried, multiple times.
    I have also tried ending all InDesign processes and restarting my computer.

Not sure if anyone else has come across this issue?

InDesign CC 2019: v 14.0
    Windows 10: v 1803

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

5. InDesign 14.0. freezes after opening

After opening InDesign 14.0 I can open project. But as soon a leave first running screen with InDesign, work on 2nd Screen or even just opening explorer or browse in the internet, InDesign 14.0 is freezing. I cannot even close it. I have to restart the system. In fact I cannot work with it. I have to run 13.1 (2018) to work with ID.
    I am working with Desktop PC and Win10

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

6. Indesign CC 2018 Crash

Issues with the updated Indesign crashing when inserting any text or images. Comes up with Indesign stopped working crash error.

Major issue as this is part of my job... How do I revert back to the old one whilst this is fixed??

Thanks

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

7. Changing font in Character Panel frequently causes a crash in Indesign CC 2018

Since 2018 version, changing a font in the character panel frequently crashes the application, but not 100% of the time. Font worked fine in older version and sometimes works fine in 2018, but the same issue has happened a good few times in the last week or so.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

8. 21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update:
    Few of our users have commented that the issue is still not fixed for them. We sincerely regret the trouble caused.
    In our attempt to eliminate the problem completely, we could identify few scenarios in the which the problem would manifest. While we acknowledge that the list of scenarios may not be exhaustive, we assure you that we are continuously working towards solving the problem completely.

As far this thread is concerned, we are closing it for now. If you continue to face the issue, please reach out directly at sharewithid@adobe.com.
    -———————————————————————————————-

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu…

9. InDesign 13.1 Crash when show "Margins and Columns" Dialog and click "OK"

1. Version InDesign 13.1
      Testing Windows 10(1709) and macos 10.13.4, same results

2. Steps
      1 Execute InDesign 13.1
      2 Show "Margins and Columns" Dialog (Application Default)
      3 Click "OK" button

3. Expected result
      Crash InDesign

4. Actual result
      Don't crash

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

10. indesign crashes very regularly

Indesign crashes very often these days giving this message [/Development/siriusr11/external/dva/adobe/dvaui/ui/src/OS_UI.cpp-4645], but not autosaving. It seems to happen at different times, can't pinpoint why it does

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face a crash issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, start a new thread providing the necessary information to reproduce the crash and send the
    information to santalwa@adobe.com as well.

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

11. 13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Let us know if the issue is resolved for you in InDesign 14.0.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

12. InDesign still crashing when saving to external server folder/alias

I updated to the new version of InDesignCC 2018 this morning (the November '17 update, version 13.0.1). Supposedly this was supposed to fix the Save/Save as crash but I just took the same steps as before and the crash is still happening. The steps are as follows:
    1. Create new document
    2. Save As
    3. Select folder within our shared folder (this is linked to another computer, the other computer is the "momma" so to speak in that its part of the hard drive of the other Mac (version 10.12.6). I am also running Mac version 10.12.6. We have a…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Please update to the latest version of InDesign, Id 13.1 for the fix of the problem.

Thanks,
    Abhinav

13. InDesign 2018 crashes when I update the links in the links panel

InDesign 2018 crashes when I update the links in the links panel. It does not matter which size they have.
    I'm using Indesign 2018 since yesterday. Running on a power Mac 2017.
    To finish my document I had to install indesign 2017 again and start all over! What can I do?

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

14. InDesign crashes while accessing printer setup or printing on Windows

I've had no issues in writing documents, but printing an existing one crashed InDesign2018. A crash report was automatically generated and sent to you &/ or Apple.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. InDesign CC 2018 crashes when copying a text box

I just downloaded ID CC 2018 and every time I copy and paste a text box, whether inside the same document or a different one, the entire program crashes.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

16. InDesign freezes while Adding New/Editing Cross-References

1. InDesign 13.1 x64 2a. Select the text, go to Insert Cross References either via Type > Hyperlinks & Cross References or via the Cross References Panel. 2b. Select text that already has a cross reference, go to Cross-Reference Options either via Type > Hyperlinks and Cross References of the Cross References panel.
    2. The New Cross-Reference or Edit Cross-Reference dialog box should open and function.
    3. InDesign freezes and has to be force quit. I've waited as long as 20 minutes for the system to function properly before having to force it to quit.
    6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign Crashes when Scrolling the document

My file continually crashes whenever I attempt to scroll down on the document.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve fixed the issue with InDesign’s latest Mar’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.1) for the fix.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-march-2018-13-1-release-notes.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

18. InDesign crashes on launch in "PlugPlugOwl.dll"

InDesign 2019 doesn't open after the first loading box on startup. I downloaded 2018, 2017 and 2015. 2015 is the only one that works at the moment but the others have the same issue.
    My computers processor is Intel Pentium 1.5 GHz
    I've attached the crash report.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit: This thread addresses the specific case of crash on launch due to issues with PlugPlugOwl.dll.
    If you are facing crash on launch please reach out to us on sharewithid@adobe.com
    Closing this thread.

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

19. voice dictation

Macos Big sur 11.1: when using voice dictation in combination with Indesign, in a new simple document, nothing else open in ID: when starting voice dictation , text cursor blinking and already inputting text, after a few words ID crashes. Tried it 3 times, ID crashes each time.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign crashes when mounting/updating another InDesign document with overset text

InDesign Version: Adobe InDesign CC 13.0.1
    Operating System: macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2
    Computer: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. Create a new document in InDesign with at least 3 pages.
    2. Make a textbox on one of the pages (e.g. page 1) and fill it with some text.
    3. Resize the textbox so that some text overset and preflight shows 1 error - overflowing text.
    4. Save and close the document
    5. Create a new InDesign document
    6. Place the InDesign file with the overflowing textbox in the new InDesign document (NOTE: You…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Let us know if the issue is resolved for you in InDesign 14.0.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base