Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6480 results found

1. Changing case from caps to lowercase

The first letter of a new paragraph has automatically changed from caps to lower case after an A level heading in my document. It only relates to this heading levels and occurs in 85% of instances in a 90 page document. I have checked the Word file and cannot find an issue there. I have not been able to replicate the issue since it has been picked up in the proof reading process. I am using the current inDesign CC version and Adobe Typekit fonts.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Cannot enter text size if document is on second display

When using 2 displays, if the document is not on the same page as the menu bar, typing a new text size in the text-size field does not work. Moving the document to the same page as the application frame makes the bug go away.

InDesign CC 2018 13.1
    Mac iMac 27 Late 2013, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 4GB

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. links labeled as "modified" when actually "OK"

ID= v13.1
    MacOS= 10.13.4

Problem: Open any ID file and links that should be "OK" are labeled as "modified". I do not get any error window that pops up notifying me this. Without taking any action, I close the ID file and reopen it and links are now labeled as "OK". Open it up a third time and links are "OK". I QUIT out of ID and open that same file and see links as "OK" and now they are labeled as "modified". This process repeats. Attached video to show. All links in these ID files are not modified or…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while, We have concluded our investigation into the issue and below is our finding.

This issue is due to the use of a specific version of Extensis Universal Type client: version 6.1.6.
    The issue is reproducible only with Id 2018 as Extensis UTC 6.1.6 is not compatible with Id 2019.

Please note:
    If you are using Extensis UTC 6.1.6 with InDesign 2018 please use any other version of Extensis UTC which is compatible with Id 2018 to avoid this issue.

Or you can upgrade to Id 2019 and used compatible version of Extensis UTC.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

4. proof colors grayscale

Indesign 13.1, OSX

Placed grayscale images are not displayed correctly when Proof colours is on. In fact, their appearance does not chang in any way when proofing is turned on. I'm using the WAN-IFRANewspaper profile.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Data Merge - Can't preview without errors

The apparently long-running Data Merge previewing error!
    Occasionally previewing a data merge will permanently ruin exports. The only solution is to create a new document. Happened to me on almost every project I tried - wasted hours and hours.
    See this thread and video for more information:
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/10337647#10337647

(Also colons in csv titles makes file unusable??)

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. OSX Ruler units can't be changed using mouse button

1. Indesign CC 13.1
    2. Try to change using mouse: Ruler units to (fe.) millimeters
    3. The units change
    4. The dropdown menu opens, but units won't change (scrolling and arrow keys works)
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. gabarit

je ne peux plus changer le gabarit d'une page

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

8. Publish Online Dashboard empty

My Publish Online Dashboard doesn't show any of my publications (the section "Document Trends" remains totally empy after I publish or update a document. Though I manage to push the documents online and the share-link URLs do work.

Thx in advance for your concern

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. page tool causes crash

Every time I try to use the page tool, the app crashes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Paste/ paste in place doesn't paste properly

when I try to copy, either one or several objects at one page in indesign. Either paste or paste in place, won't paste the whole text or image as their original format. When I paste it will paste and combine everything as one Image. which I couldn't edit anymore. also paste in place doesnt work.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. doesn't recognize new files copied to my hard drive

latest InDesign CC doesn't show new files copied to my hard drive - If I re-name files it shows the old name - no phone no chat no thing!

I can confirm files are there with explorer but when I go FILE OPEN they aren't there - tried copying to other directories - still not there - tried re-booting, closing opening program again all that

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

13. Issues printing with Xerox C75. Duplex printing, save and print features don't work. Doesn't save print settings.

Issues printing with Xerox C75. Duplex printing, save and print features don't work. Doesn't save print settings. Prints fine with a pdf.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Crash and shifting of text markups

Exporting to IDML, to rtf or select all + paste lead to a system crash in InDesign CC 2017 (18.1.2). The export to pdf was possible. Using exclusion techniques, the typesetter was able to locate a bad paragraph in the middle of the document that crashes when selecting + pasting. She deleted this paragraph in text mode and re-inserted it. Now idml and rtf export works. But starting from this paragraph, all text markups in italic are now shifted (after the idml cleanup) by about 195 characters to the front. This error occurred shortly before printing and no one noticed.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. pages tab unable to scroll past spread 42-43

I have a book with 56 pages. The 'Pages' tab can only scroll to pages 42-43. I can't get to the pages below. This makes it impossible to rearrange pages below 42-43.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. InDesign application does not render correctly upon program launch in Windows 10

When launching InDesign in Windows 10, the window renders with missing icons, input boxes (eg: coordinates and size boxes) and backgrounds. When a new document is opened and it launches, random graphics from the document also are displayed.

Please see attached image for example. I am able to reproduce. Each time, the window must be moved or hovered over by mouse to fix.

This has been going on since upgrading from CS6 to CC from CC 2017 to CC 2018 (current) in Windows 10. Please let me know if you require details of my hardware or software specifications.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Graphics shift when using Publish Online

When using Publish Online, graphic elements (mostly color blocks) move in the published version. Oddly enough, when you click to view thumbnails, the thumbnails look correct. (Example: navy color block on right page should align with color block on left page).

Using InDesignCC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. URLs breaking when used inside a table

I have a InDesign doc that has several columns (name, address, website link, etc). When converting to pdf the urls break. The urls are too long for the column so they wrap onto 2-3 lines. When I copy the url and paste it outside the table and extend the text box so the url is on one line then it works as should be.

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: InDesign CC v9.2 x64
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. thick thin rules with fill, the inner corner radius leaves a gap

5 point thick thin rules with fill the inner corner radius needs to be smaller.
    currently it leaves a small gap. which looks bad when trapping for printing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Inconsistent Text Wrap across two column layout

Text wrap is applied inconsistently from column to column, i.e. text will offset by uneven amounts in adjacent columns. This happens for all types of Text Wrap except for the Jump Wrap, which does not misalign the top two lines of text!
    The only fix I could manage was to Force All Lines to the Baseline Grid, and redraw the bottom Text Wrap line unevenly for the two columns. The images attached show first the problem and second the fix.
    I believe this started happening with the introduction of CC versions, but I'm not 100% sure of that timing.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base