Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6506 results found

1. pages tab unable to scroll past spread 42-43

I have a book with 56 pages. The 'Pages' tab can only scroll to pages 42-43. I can't get to the pages below. This makes it impossible to rearrange pages below 42-43.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. InDesign application does not render correctly upon program launch in Windows 10

When launching InDesign in Windows 10, the window renders with missing icons, input boxes (eg: coordinates and size boxes) and backgrounds. When a new document is opened and it launches, random graphics from the document also are displayed.

Please see attached image for example. I am able to reproduce. Each time, the window must be moved or hovered over by mouse to fix.

This has been going on since upgrading from CS6 to CC from CC 2017 to CC 2018 (current) in Windows 10. Please let me know if you require details of my hardware or software specifications.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Graphics shift when using Publish Online

When using Publish Online, graphic elements (mostly color blocks) move in the published version. Oddly enough, when you click to view thumbnails, the thumbnails look correct. (Example: navy color block on right page should align with color block on left page).

Using InDesignCC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. URLs breaking when used inside a table

I have a InDesign doc that has several columns (name, address, website link, etc). When converting to pdf the urls break. The urls are too long for the column so they wrap onto 2-3 lines. When I copy the url and paste it outside the table and extend the text box so the url is on one line then it works as should be.

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: InDesign CC v9.2 x64
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. thick thin rules with fill, the inner corner radius leaves a gap

5 point thick thin rules with fill the inner corner radius needs to be smaller.
    currently it leaves a small gap. which looks bad when trapping for printing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Inconsistent Text Wrap across two column layout

Text wrap is applied inconsistently from column to column, i.e. text will offset by uneven amounts in adjacent columns. This happens for all types of Text Wrap except for the Jump Wrap, which does not misalign the top two lines of text!
    The only fix I could manage was to Force All Lines to the Baseline Grid, and redraw the bottom Text Wrap line unevenly for the two columns. The images attached show first the problem and second the fix.
    I believe this started happening with the introduction of CC versions, but I'm not 100% sure of that timing.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. "Generating PDF" dialog opens randomly, crashes InDesign

Indesign version: 13.1 x 64

After updating to this version, I have been having an issue where the "Generating PDF" dialog box will open unprompted at seemingly random times. The "Generating PDF" and "Downloading Image" bars are present, and begin to fill up. The "Downloading Image" bar appears to finish, but the "Generating PDF" never fills up all the way. InDesign becomes entirely unresponsive during this process, and I have to Force Quit the application to proceed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Preview bug, always scrambled

Preview is always messed up. Images attached, text is often spliced like this until I zoom in and out. Sometimes overprint preview helps but it's happening frequently and I can't see what my work looks like...

Indesign CC 2017

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 10.13.4

OSX 10.13.4. InDesign is updated and will not open. Period.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Table cells tagged as form fields do not get tagged when using the Articles panel in an accessible PDF file.

If you convert a table cell to a graphic cell and then make it an interactive form field, if you use the Articles panel to control the order, the form fields do not get tagged.

1.) Create a table
    2.) Select a cell and choose Table > Convert to Graphic Cell
    3.) Open the articles panel and drag the frame containing the table to the Articles panel to create a new article.
    4.) Enable "Use for Reading order in tagged PDF" from the Articles panel menu.
    5.) Export to interactive PDF with tags enabled.

Result: If you open the PDF…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign CC 2018 ME text frame problem

InDesign CC ME 2018

I work with international magazine. Usually I work with English text but once i a while I have to do some Arabic content. I installed Indesign CC 2018 ME on my machine and it works perfectly well except. When I create a new document in InDesign CC ME which is normal meaning reads from left to right and try to place a doc document into it text frame appears to be right to left and this issue is totally inconvenient.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Extension option missing

Extension option is missing in Window menu. So, i can't the see my added extensions.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Placed ICML files do not appear in the Assignments panel

Placed InCopy ICML files should appear in the Assignments panel. They do not. This is under InDesign CC2018.1.

The only step needed to reproduce this is to create an InCopy file. Save it and then place in InDesign.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

14. Background Task Animation Error

Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.1 (latest version)
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (latest version)
    Expected result: When a Background Task is being run, the animated progress bar to rise and fall (ex. 0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1,0,1...)
    Actual result: When a Background Task is being run, the animated progress bar rises and falls incorrectly (ex. 0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,0,1,1,2...)

I notice this a lot since I am exporting multiple PDFs a day. As soon as each is done, I need to copy them to send via emails/upload to other servers/etc.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Beachball on start, takes 2 force quits before fully starting

When I start InDesign 13.1 on macOS 10.13.4 it take 3 attempt. I have to force quit the first two attempts because it almost always beachballs. Then on the third attempt it finally works. This behavior is pretty consistent. Sometime I completely restart the computer. Other times it take longer to start.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. mouse lag in indesign when photoshop window open

Experiencing terrible mouse lag in indesign, the cursor flickers constantly and it feels like the mouse is swimming through mud. Nearly enough to make the program unusable. Reinstall fixes the problem temporarily but it returns within 30mins.

I have identified that this only happens when a photoshop window is open behind or next to the indesign window.

Indesign 13.1
    Photoshop 19.1.2
    Mac os sierra 10.12.6

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Endnotes and multi-language layers

InDesign CC 13.1

As a long-time user of ID, I want to report what looks to me like a serious bug.

Working on a multi-language book project for the first time since the endnotes feature was introduced, I noticed that when importing the second language on a separate layer (as I have been doing for many years without any problems) the endnotes are imported with correct references in the text but the notes themselves lose their numbers, showing the dreaded <?> instead.
    Trying to work around the problem using David Blatner's DTP tools' "import layers" feature gives the same result. …

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. export book to pdf slows the mouse respond

Every time, when I export whole book into PDF file, my mouse starts to move with steps. Everything else is working more or less normally, but moving cursor is almost impossible.

Cursors respond with huge lag - around 1 sec, and moves in steps, what makes impossible to use the mouse.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Stops letting me type

I'm using InDesign 2018 and I will have my cursor in a text box and be typing when the program will stop letting me enter new text. The only way to continue entering text is to tab out of the program and back in. I have no idea what step lead to this issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base