Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6481 results found

1. Text wrap on anchored frame causes InDesign to freeze

1. InDesign CC 2018 13.1 on macOS 10.13.6
    2. When placing an object in a text frame, thus creating an anchored object, and then applying to the latter a text wrap method that is different from default (none), either via application ui, script or object style;
    3. Expected to apply the wanted text wrap option;
    4. Application freezes.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Double running header and multiple stories

Running headers will not reset to blank when used with multiple stories.
    Create a multi-page document, and flow some text into. Create two paragraph styles (Section # and a Section header). Create a running header using both with a page number (P [Section #:] [Section header]) on the master page.

Now, if you add a new section # and a Section header a couple pages in, the footer will update. If you put a blank Section # paragraph, the section number will disappear from the footer (as it should). Now, if you start a new the story on a new…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Tagged Text file import randomly places URLs throughout text

I can't import an InDesign Tagged Text file without getting randomly inserted footnote URLs placed throughout the text and all footnote links being broken.

Since I'm working on a book and have hundreds of footnotes, I thought AITT would be my best option for backing up and recovering chapter text.

InDesign 13.1.0.76
    macOS 10.13.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Text Wrap is no longer available or working on our IMacs. Please help!

This major feature no longer works and has left us without one of the most important layout tools. Please fix ASAP!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. missing dialog box

When i clicked on the effect (example; gradient feather) for my image, there is no dialog box popping out. I'm unable to click on other tools and I've to use the escape key to close the 'invisible' dialog box before I can use the other tools. Hence, I'm unable to apply any effect on my image.

I'm using the Indesign CC (13.0.1) on Windows.

It feels like it's a programme bug. I've tried to reinstall the programme but it still persists.

Please assist.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. spreadsheet

InDesign CS4 - CC2018
    j'ai créé un tableau sous indesign sur le plan de montage et dès que je le glisse sur la page les spécifications de cellules n'agissent plus. (cf capture ecran) certain textes sautent. avez-vous deja rencontré ce probleme?
    et trouvé une solution ?

InDesign CS4 - CC2018
    I created a table under indesign on the timeline and as I drag it on the page the cell specifications no longer work. (see screenshot) some texts jump. have you ever encountered this problem?
    and found a solution?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

7. Font outlined when exporting to pdf

When I export to pdf and open the document in Acrobat, I have no issues with fonts. But, if I want to open the file in Illustrator (we have a special procedure to add the pdf file to one drawing in iIllustrator), I get this alert: To preserve appearance, some text has been outlined. When I checked the Background tasks in InDesign, it gives me the following alert - image attached.
    We have the copyrights on fonts. Glyphs are mentioned in the alert, but not all of them are outlined. Using CC 2018 13.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. linked files ignored upon packaging

1. Adobe InDesign Version 13.1 x64 on Windows
    2. images are linked within the document and shown as such. When I package the document, it shows "0 links found" and no linked files are packaged
    3. This is the first time I've packaged a document since upgrading to INDD 2018. Have never had it ignore links before
    4. No linked files are packaged
    5. It sees the links... but not in the "package" menu
    5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. new document preview crash

I'm crashing in the 2018 version of ID in the New Document dialog whenever I make changes to the margins with the Preview checkbox checked. This happens each and every time, consistently.

This occurs in both the new, New Document dialog format (Preview checkbox added in 2018) as well as the Legacy dialog format (enabled with General Preferences setting).

This does not occur in the 2017 CC version of ID. (Legacy dialog only — no Preview checkbox in the new format.)

This does not occur when changing any other page attribute, including page size, slug, and bleed; only Margin.

Testing:…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Hyperlink shows up red in hyperlinks panel despite the URL working

The following URL shows up in the hyperlinks panel as red (meaning it should not work) but actually works when a PDF is made:
    https://academic.oup.com/journals
    This is the same for any links based on the above URL.
    Is there anything that would cause this?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. search all documents

Search / Find "All Documents" opens unrelated docs, causes error crash.

Sometimes, when doing a "find" on "All Documents," InDesign will suddenly open a document (a document that is linked in my current document, but that wasn't open before) that has the looked-for text in it. Attempting to close this unwanted document causes a crash error.

This has been a problem since at least CS6 if not earlier. Shocked to find it in CC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. incopy workspace bar crash

InCopy CC 13.0.1 and InDesign CC

When clicking on Character, Character style or Paragraph style the program freezes for 20 secs or more, and this bar appears. (See image)

It happens when I open a New file, as well as InDesign linked.

It disappears if I wait, and click to reset workspace. Then it returns.

I have tried reinstalling software (and switching PC off and on again)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Data Merge is not working as expected on Windows 10 - but fine on Mac Book Pro

Data merge is not working as it was previously or as described in Help for Windows 10 - it works fine on Mac Book Pro - High Sierra... see attached images... on Windows it creates individual pages for each mail label instead of multiple instances of the text field on the same page... please repair... I have used this feature many times in the past - it is not working as expected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign suddenly has problems selecting the most basic things

For about the past two weeks, I've been experiencing a frustrating problem on two Mac installations of InDesign 13.1. When an object is selected and I click on a color swatch to change its color, about 30% of the time it will not take effect. If I have multiple objects selected and I click on one of those objects again, instead of assigning that object as the key object like it should, the entire group of objects moves slightly to the left. I am absolutely sure I am not moving the mouse when this happens. Also, regarding the color change…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. "Preview images" not updated or created in certain circumstances

Description: The previews are not updated in the following cases:

• When the file is saved in IDML file format (you need to save in in INDD format before)
    • When the saving options are changed (under "Preferences > File handling") and the file is saved. You need to save the file with another name or make changes in order to have InDesign updating the previews.

Basically, from our tests, the preview images are only generated when the file is changed and saved in INDD format.

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
      13.1 (but past CC releases were also impacted)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. can't load paragraph styles from another document

1. Potential bug in InDesign CC version 13.1:

2. Open a book, select a document from the list, add a paragraph style, and save. Open another document and attempt to load paragraph styles from first document.

3. Expect new paragraph styles to be added to the second document.

4. Actual result, new paragraph styles are not even listed in the dialog.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign crashes when highlighting open Acrobat comment text

This is a wild one that has happened multiple times now. InDesign will crash on my machine in the following specific circumstance:
    1) I have a text box selected in a file that I want to copy text into,
    2) I navigate to an ultimately unconnected PDF in Acrobat that has text I want to copy from,
    3) the PDF has an open comment box with currently highlighted text,
    4) I try to highlight other text within the comment box in order to copy that instead,
    5) and InDesign crashes hard (closes completely).

In case it matters, InDesign crashes before…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. workspace close when changing scale

1. Adobe CC (latest update)
    2. Up-scale or down-scale an item (picture, text, etc.)
    3. Up-scaling or down-scaling the item correctly.
    4. Unable to scaling properly and all the workspace disappear. The scaling seems to works without any Enter key being press. So ...when I press Enter or Tab, the workspace disappear. I have to go to the menu, change it to another one before reset it to mine.
    5. The printscreen won't help in this case.
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base