Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. Pasting objects from Illustrator extremelly slow

Pasting objects from Illustrator is extremelly slow for me. It takes up to 10 seconds. The issue only occurs in direction. Copying graphics from Photoshop or Powerpoint to Indesign does not produce this issue. Copy paste from Indesign to Illustrator also has no issue. I have reinstal both the latest Illustrator and Indesign CC. See the video and my system performance. Clipboard settings are set to what worked recommended and what worked for me fine on a slower machine before.

Thank you for help

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. update notifications

My adobe indesign doesn't alert me when there are updates. I'm working in 13.1 and I my files were worked on in 14. This is a reoccurring problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. type tool stops working / document freezes

My Type / Text Frame button randomly stops working and then the whole document freezes. I then exit out of the document, open it again and it either works for a few edits until it freezes again or I need to close/open numerous times until it works. I've done all the updates and this has been happening for a few weeks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Unable to package some InDesign files, error message appears

Adobe InDesign CC 2017.1 release, 12.1.0.56 x64 build for Windows
    Open an .indd file, press File menu and select package menu item.
    Expected result: the file (catalog) is packaged.
    Actual result: the file (catalog) is NOT packaged. An error occurs about missing plugins: STEP-N-DESIGN.LOGIC.WIN.CC10.PLN EXTENSISFONTMANAGEMENTIDCC2014X64.APLN. (see attachment).
    Additional information: this problem occurs only by some files, not by all of them.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. PDF Comments Insert Issues

PDF Comments do not insert at the correct location when the Insert is marked at the start or the end of a paragraph. The insert at the start of the paragraph instead gets inserted at the end of the previous paragraph. The insert at the end of a paragraph instead gets inserted before the final character (tested with period and question mark and happened with both).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

6. Entire page missing elements and objects, and unable to select objects

After updating to 14.0.1, I opened a project and found that one of the pages (just this one page for some reason) had missing objects, missing elements, and the objects on the page were unable to be selected unless I clicked and dragged from the outside of the page to select everything at once. The missing images showed up elsewhere in the catalog and appeared in the links panel under the correct page, but did not appear in the page. After closing and re-opening the same file in InDesign CC 2018, everything was intact and totally fine. This issue rendered…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. panels keep moving

The tool panels keep changing position, flying out or closing in a seemingly random manner. Certainly their movement is counter productive to any given use.

I've just updated to ID 2019 and my panel positions are all lost. This is after several month of wrestling with the demented behaviour Adobe has given them.

In the 'old' days, one set up the panels how preferred and pretty much left them alone.

Could Adobe please return to this functional panel behaviour and stop them flying out, moving about, or getting lost on each update?

Having to click things open and close don…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. preview 'w' shortcut doesn't work

Regularly doesn't respond to the 'w' key shortcut to toggle between regular/preview views.

Closing entire program fixes the issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Preview bug, always scrambled

Preview is always messed up. Images attached, text is often spliced like this until I zoom in and out. Sometimes overprint preview helps but it's happening frequently and I can't see what my work looks like...

Indesign CC 2017

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Copying data from Excel table into InDesign table. Data goes into one cell, rather than all.

When pasting Excel table into InDesign table, all cells go into 1st cell as a complete table, rather than populating the table.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. ID 13.1 – no longer accepts mp4 media format?

InDesign 13.1

EXISTING mp4s placed in ID file (for viewing in exported Interactive PDF) no longer work (link not found (yellow triangle), and then when manually re-linked, link shows error in palette (red circle question mark).

Trying to place NEW mp4s, and although file(s) can be found, nothing is placed. Have googled and found nothing.

Updates to CC appear to have happened overnight, and I didn't have any issues last week.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Color Reading Completely Incorrectly

Adobe. This is an insane problem to have not fixed.

Colors are seriously displaying incorrectly. From one program to another the colors look different and they do not at all match the way the color read in 2018.

The attached shows the same color in Indesign 2019 (left) and Illustrator 2019 (right)

This is a serious issue that people have been having since the 2019 update and I cannot believe there is not an update to fix this yet.

Every time Adobe releases an update lately I hesitate to download. The ideas behind the updates are intended to increase functionality…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Cannot package file, missing plugin error

InDesign CC 2019, MacOS 10.14 Mojave,
    Trying to package a file and this error shows up that plugins needs to be installed - See attached.

How can I delete or install them?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. search all documents

Search / Find "All Documents" opens unrelated docs, causes error crash.

Sometimes, when doing a "find" on "All Documents," InDesign will suddenly open a document (a document that is linked in my current document, but that wasn't open before) that has the looked-for text in it. Attempting to close this unwanted document causes a crash error.

This has been a problem since at least CS6 if not earlier. Shocked to find it in CC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. incopy workspace bar crash

InCopy CC 13.0.1 and InDesign CC

When clicking on Character, Character style or Paragraph style the program freezes for 20 secs or more, and this bar appears. (See image)

It happens when I open a New file, as well as InDesign linked.

It disappears if I wait, and click to reset workspace. Then it returns.

I have tried reinstalling software (and switching PC off and on again)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. After pressing "Cancel" in "Relink..." dialog, the item is no longer selected in the Links panel

1. InDesign 13.1 x64, WIndows 10
    2. Select an image on the page, and it is highlighted in the links panel. Press "Relink...". Press "Cancel".
    3. The link should be highlighted in the links palette so I could press "Relink..." again immediately
    4. The frame is still selected but the image is no longer highlighted in the Links panel. You have to deselect the frame and re-select it (or manually click the link in the panel) to highlight it again.
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Jumbled Text

I'm having an issue with catalogs I'm working with. When I open the most recent version of an INDD file, there is jumbled text in the headings and subheadings, even though the PDF exported fine when the file was last opened. Advice?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Background Task Animation Error

Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.1 (latest version)
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (latest version)
    Expected result: When a Background Task is being run, the animated progress bar to rise and fall (ex. 0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1,0,1...)
    Actual result: When a Background Task is being run, the animated progress bar rises and falls incorrectly (ex. 0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,0,1,1,2...)

I notice this a lot since I am exporting multiple PDFs a day. As soon as each is done, I need to copy them to send via emails/upload to other servers/etc.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. mapping styles

After assigning a Class in the Para or Character Style definition dialog (in Export Tagging), the Class usually disappears. So when I go to Edit All Export Tags accessed from a flyout in the paragraph, character, or object styles panel, I have to reassign that Class.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Going to the end of the line includes the whitespace(s) also

Typing in illustrator has an issue when going to the end of the line - when pressing the End key moves the cursor to the end of the line, including the space; therefore typing again will prepend text to the word on the other line.
    To reproduce:
    - Type a text which is long enough to break on the next line. Let's say, the text will break between "word1 word2"
    - Go to the first line.
    - Hit End, then x on the keyboard.
    + Expected result: "word1x word2"
    + Actual result: "word1 xword2"
    All text editors prdouce the expected…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →