Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6514 results found

1. CC Library after last update now puts white box around all graphics

After the latest update, when I use my library to place a logo on a page in InDesign, it now almost looks like a white background PNG instead of the logo without any background. Running into printing issues with white boxes around all of our CC Library Graphics.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. roman punctuation

It would be great if InDesign had a Roman punctuation (hanging punctuation) option similar to Illustrator, where it was set with a toggle. The optical alignment in Story is useful; however, the Illustrator implementation of hanging punctuation is useful in many situations, too.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    This issue was present in an earlier version of InDesign. Please confirm if you are facing this bug with InDesign version 14.0.2

If you face the issue with the latest version then please share a sample document at amaarora@adobe.com with which we can reproduce the issue in-house.

Thanks,
    Aman

4. windows 10

I am opening InDesign from the start menu but it crashes each time. it will open ok from CC.
    1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server- InDesign CC 2019 14.0
    2. Steps to reproduce the issues – Tried installing oolder versions but seeing the same issue
    3. Expected result – Indesign to open
    4. Actual result – Crash report page appears

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Shortkeys causing program to freeze

Hi, I'm using the latest Indesign CC on my windows 10 laptop
    Indesign keeping freezing and doesn't recover when i use any shortcut keys.
    E.g ctrl E to export a PDF will crash the program, so i need to go the long way of file - export etc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. InDesign CC 2019 - font error issues with PDFs

When latest InDesign CC 2019 creates a PDF using certain fonts, an error message appears when opening PDF in Acrobat Pro DC: "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JLUSWO+fontname'. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

Never had this issue with previous InDesign versions. The same PDF opens, views and prints perfectly in Preview. Creating PDFs by other applications with the same font are fine.

HELP!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Drag or transform creates unwanted duplicate of object

Moving any object (text, image, etc) with either the Move tool or Direct Selection tool creates a duplicate without having any other keys pressed (eg, option/alt).
    Also when repositioning an object with Properties > Transform it also creates a duplicate of the object.

Mac OS 10.14.4
    Indesign 14.0.2.324

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Burmese character composing

InDesign ME CC 14.0.1
    WorldScript doesn't compose Burmese Unicode characters correctly, shifting the location of some characters and not positioning some accents correctly, do you have a plan to fix this as it has been like it for a long time?? Other languages like Lao and Khmer have been fixed over time, but not Burmese.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. reverse layout crash

InDesign CC14.0.1 ME always crashes when using the Reverse Layout option if you click on "yes" when the message "The publication contains frame linked between pages. Would you like to break the link?"

If you click "no" it works OK, but "Yes" crashes. Even happens if there is only one page in the document.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Text variables consistently break export to fixed epub, resulting in crash.

When there are multiple text variables (say in a running foot, or TOC) the export to fixed epub causes InDesign to crash. When the variables are resolved to actual text, the export works fine. I tried this in InDesign 14.0.2 and also in the Beta Build (14.0.3.407) with the same (crash) result.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. split layout view is changing so both views are the same page when I copy paste

Split layout view is changing so both views are the same page when I copy/paste. So the left is Page A, and the right is Page B. If I copy something from page A, then click on the right view to paste into Page B, the left view also becomes Page B. Rather than staying Page A. It didn't do this before, but it started a few months ago.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. HTML export creates random "id" values for Object styles tags

When exporting html and I check include classes, InDesign generates "id" values for Object Styles.

This could be be useful if there was a way to define the "id" value, but there seems to be no way to do that. Nor is there a way to turn it off outside of unchecking export class

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Foot note enters the main text body after dividing a paragraph into 2 columns

Foot note enters the main text body after dividing a paragraph into 2 columns… look at the video. It says everything.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign CC display error thin white line

InDesign CC 13.1 x64

In every document I open, everytime there's a single line in the top area of the document/artboard. It appears when you activate the

Overprint Preview with high quality. Then InDesign generates a thin white line 1px thick and 101px away from the top of the document. It

also keeps this position when I zoom in or out. Only if I begin to drag the view via the hand tool then the line is broken (obviously it

has some trouble to refresh complete).
    The line generates on all pages no matter if there're images or graphics or…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. CC library window reappears when adding new paragraph style

Please stop the CC library pane appearing every time a new paragraph style is created. Seems to be a bug as there's no clear relationship between the features.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Smart folder (Mac) not showing items

When trying to place a file with "File/Place", smart folders in the file browser do not load any items to select from. Same also with image relinks.
    Strangely the same thing with "File/Save as" works fine.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Unable to export to pdf

Hi there, I am unable to package some of the InDesign files I am working on at the moment. It shows the error messages attached. Initially, it showed a conversion error however now this no longer shows and it just refuses to allow me to export to pdf and therefore package the document. I have no idea how to fix the issue as it doesn't give any indication at to why it isn't working which is super frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. button links missing after TOC update

If I use TOC bookmarks as my destinations for interactive buttons, the Button destinations get lost after updating the TOC. All the button destinations revert to the first item on the buttons and forms list. So it makes it impossible/hard to create a working interactive pdf.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign Performance issue: Lag in reflowing of text in a document with large number of footnotes

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)
    macOS Sierra
    2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
    16gb Ram
    Indesign 14.0.1

Reflowing Bug when Resizing Text Box with Footnotes. As you can see in the video, the following page turns blank when I resize a text box to fit more content. Also, every I do this, the lag is noticeable. I tried with InDesign CC2018 and its more responsive.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

20. Ligatures

I loaded the Adobe InDesign CC Ap from Creative cloud, version 14.0.2 x64. The file I had used before now has missing text! Specifically the "fl" in the Active Ingredients list "Isoxaflutole" which now appears as Isoxa utole" throughout the whole book with empty space for the "fl". Even the word "flowables" appears as " owables".

The file seems to have "Ligatures" checked in the character palette which I did not check. I'm using Helvetica fonts.
    Any suggestion as to how to get my text back? See attached files.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base