Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6486 results found

1. paragraph lines don't fit rounded frame-line

When using rounded corners on textframes, paragraph-lines don't fit to the right frame.
    We use it with 0,5-pt-framelines and there is a small distance between both lines.
    Depending on typesize (and perhaps on other parameters), the distance has different measures.
    InDesignCC (14.0.2) / OSX HighSierra (10.13.6)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Menu Items Opens Webpage to Buy InDesign

Indesign CC 2019
    Multiple clicks on menu items with the same results.
    When clicking on menu items the menu item should appear.
    When clicking on Type>Tabs, About InDesign opens a webpage (see attached) to buy Indesign. Each menu item goes to the same webpage. First time I have had this happen.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Effects not working correctly

Some of the "effects" (inner glow, outer glow, basic feather, etc.) do not work as they are supposed to. For example, I cannot get the "outer glow" effect to apply only to text, it either applies itself to the whole object or it applies a very faint glow that can hardly be seen and that no amount of adjusting will fix (yes, I know that I have to choose "text" from the drop-down menu and unclick the effect for the "object"). And, just now (11/8/2018, 1:30 pm), I was trying to apply a gradient feather to just the "fill" of…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe

Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe :

Hello, just like this guy below :

Help! Unable to activate fonts InDesign 2019

I can't sync fonts on indesign from Adobe Fonts. Nothing works. Tried everything.

Tried syncing them from the Adobe Font website, tried in Indesign, uninstalled all indesign versions, restarted preferences, uninstalled adobe cloud.

tried everything,

Deactivating fonts on adobe font website, reactivating them. Doing the same in the cloud app. No fix.

FONTS HAVING ISSUES : Source Sans pro, Open Sans, League Gothic, Fire Sans , Fire Sans 2.

The error message is : "unable to sync one…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve seen this issue happen when you have the same Font already installed on your machine.

So you may try going to where your Fonts are installed on Windows machine – (Control panel > Fonts) and uninstall/remove the Fonts that you are unable to Sync from Adobe Fonts.

Hopefully, the problem should get resolved.

Adobe InDesign team

5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Inaccessible URL Link in preflight panel

Inaccessible URL link option in Preflight panel is not working after implementing Adobe CC version. It was working in CS5 but in all CC version still CC 2019 is not working.

For Digital purpose we need this option. I attached screen shot for your reference

In the attached screen shot there is one dead link it shows red color in Hyperlink window, but the indesign preflight panel shows No Error. If its working properly mean it need to be show error

Thanks

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Shortcuts and keyboard keys stop working.

CC2018, Windows 10, latest update as of 01/18/18, x64 system with 12GB RAM. I often have to close and reopen documents or InDesign itself for shortcuts and some keys to work. There does not seem to be a common cause or specific file(s) that sets it off and it may or may not happen to all open documents if more than one is open. Generally closing the document and reopening it helps, but there have been times where I have to restart the program for anything to work. The issue includes any shortcuts and sometimes keys such as the arrow…

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. indesign 2019 crashing upon being opened

as soon as i open indesign 2019, it freezes before i can do anything. i have to force quit, but it it doesn't fix it. it still happens every time. i've resorted back to using indesign 2018.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Endnotes in text flow - Not on a separate page

Import endnotes as plain text in the text flow. NOT on a separate page! How hard is this to understand? I groom text in one document and then copy and paste the magazine article/book chapter into another Indesign file. I can't do this if you put the endnotes in a separate text flow. It's really terrible! Dynamic notes has just been a complete failure!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. export

When exporting a PDF, the progress bar has two frames reversed. As the progress bar moves downwards, it goes from leaving the four bottom lines filled, to the bottom three, bottom two, then an empty bar, then one bar filled. Those last two frames are out of order.

InDesign CC 2019 v14.0

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Export to Fixed Layout EPUB - Poor Image Quality

I am currently working on a graphic novel project that I am planning on submitting to apple books as an epub file. The files were created in adobe illustrator and subsequently, linked into adobe indesign to create the final published product. I have noticed that the image quality when exported to epub is far inferior to when that same file is exported to a pdf file. That is regardless of the alterations that you make to PPI or other options (such as altering between PNG, JPG and other file formats) prior to exporting to epub. I have adjusted the PPI…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. No Font Spacing Between Words in InDesign 2019 14.0.x-2 on Mojave 10.14.x-4, Works fine in InDesign 2014 (v10.0.70) on Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted it here too: https://forums.adobe.com/message/11049072#11049072

So, we've had this issue on our new MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave v10.14.4 ever since last year in August when we were on High Sierra (what came with the Mac).

Basically, InDesign is unusable with Gujarati Sangam MN on the 2019 version but on 2014 (v10.0.0.70) version on my old Mac (OS X Yosemite, v10.10.5) it works fine.

What's causing this issue?

We've tried the following:

• Contacted Adobe & Apple support: Apple said to contact Adobe, Adobe was unhelpful, they suggested we look up if the font was installed it it is on the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Fonts menu selection doesn't work well (it skips some fonts randomly)

On a 2011 27" iMac 3,1 Ghz with SSD drive, with the last High Sierra and InDesign CC 2019 (14.0.2) versions, the fonts selection menu doesn't work well. Please see attached video. This is really annoying because it seems to happen randomly. Thanks for your help. Regards.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. full swatch list not displaying bug

In the first image, the scroll bar is all the way to the bottom, but it's not showing the rest of the list, when I expand the box (image 2) it displays them... please help/fix?

IndesignCC 13.1 osx high sierra.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
    2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents?
    3. Does it happen with Swatches panel only or all other panels while expanding ?
    4. Have you added any extra swatches or it happens with the default swatches ?
    5. Please specify your Platform, OS version and InDesign version.

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful.

15. Can't drag objects

I am unable to drag objects/textbox/etc in InDesign. I can resize using corner handles but I'm unable to click and drag object to desired location I've uninstalled, reinstalled, shutdown, restarted, cleared all settings, etc and nothing seems to work. I have never encountered this issue in all my years of using InDesign. Please help!

71 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

248 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

We thank you for your patience all this while.

Addressing this problem has been tricky for us given the random nature of the issue.
    Determined to resolve the issue, we had launched our investigation into the matter to identify the root cause and fix it.

Many of you must have received email from us seeking more details about the issue.

We have concluded our investigation and came up with the below mentioned finding:

It was found that, most of the times, users were trying to drag an empty polygon which was leading the confusion because the legacy behaviour of InDesign allows dragging of polygon only from its edges or the centre most point.
    If the user tries to drag it from any other position, the object cannot be moved.

We have tried to improve the user experience in this regard. You can try the same in InDesign’s latest…

16. properties panel tab order for changing document size

In the properties panel, please change the tab order for document size/number of pages.

When typing new dimensions for a document I would expect to type the new width for the layout and press tab to then type the new height for the layout, instead, tab takes you to number of pages!

Madness!!!

The number of times I have gone to resize a document and changed the width to a new measurement and then added 594 new pages instead of altering the new height to 594mm.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Programs hangs after having selected a text and then opening the font drop down list.

After having selected some text and then opening the drop down font menu, the program starts doing an infinte number of calculations and never stops (the CPU core being used is maxed and remains like that).

FFS hire someone who can fix it.. its been ages.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Stroke on outside of shape breaks for compound paths

This bug has existed for some time and is still in InDesign 14.0.1.209 for Macintosh.

A stoke aligned to the outside of a compound path is on the outside of the outer paths, but on the inside of the inner paths. The attached image shows a stroke on the outside of text, as it should appear, and on the outside of the same text converted to paths. The stroke on the counters of A, O, and R is on the wrong side of the path.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Bug: Mac AppleScript change text returns replacement except last character

Search ("find what") and replace ("change to") does not return the expected results when replacing text. It truncates the replacement by one character.

Steps to reproduce
    1. Create a new InDesign file (see attached test.indd)
    2. Create a text box
    3. Add text in the text box including the word "test"
    4. Run the following script (see attached) test.scpt
    5. Expected the return results to be "foo" but it returns "fo"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2019"
    set find text preferences to nothing
    set change text preferences to nothing
    set properties of find text preferences to {find what:"test"}
    set properties…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

20. Can't open .idap files

We can package .icap files and send them to the proofreader, but when we get the .idap files back we can't open them. We get the error "The selected package file requires an InDesign document “^1” that cannot be found."

Others seem to be having the same issue here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2551100
    The plugin listed in that forum thread does not fix the problem either.

The problem started when our team updated to CC 2019... had no problems until the update. We're on Apple's Mojave OS and 2019 InDesign.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base