Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• or

219 results found

1. Remove Story panel, make optical alignment a paragraph attribute.

The Story panel has only one option, optical alignment, and it is badly implemented. It applies to an entire story across multiple text frames, columns, and pages, and has one value for point size regardless of the point size of the various styles used throughout the story.

Instead, make optical alignment and hanging punctuation two paragraph attributes. Allow the point size to be left black, forcing InDesign to apply the current size for each paragraph.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Easier to find Span columns

I teach InDesign to beginners so we use the Properties panel a lot. I would like an easy way to find span columns directly in the Properties panel. Now you have to go to the Control panel and if it fits the screen you will find it at the right, otherwise in the Paragraph panelmenu. Such a great feature should be easier to access

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Automatically Apply Character and/or Paragraph Styles to Text Frame.

It would be helpful to have the text character and/or paragraph style in any given frame change dynamically as the text re-flows.

For example... If I have three columns of type and the middle column is reversed white type in a black frame, then I always want whatever text flows in the black frame to be white, even if it was previously formatted as black. And the white text in the black frame should automatically change back to black if it flows out of the frame.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Custom spaces between paragraphs 2.0

To get much more than »only« custom spaces - an extented idea:

I think to make it nearly perfect, we need to implement another Group inside the ParagraphStyles - say »Exceptions« and built like the nested styles area, for example:

No intend ------- after ParagraphStyle --- Head
    No intend ------- after ParagraphStyle --- Subline
    (etc.)
    (for List 1)
    Space before --- after ParagraphStyle --- List 1 --- 2mm
    Space before --- after ParagraphStyle --- List 2 --- 2mm
    (and for List 2 etc.)
    Space before --- after ParagraphStyle --- List 1 --- 1mm

With something like this we…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Apply gabarits with conditions

Hello, after a long research, I notice that there is no possibility to apply gabarits according to rules (presence of text, grep, presence of image, percentage of filled text block, presence of style, etc.) to specific pages (on the first/last page, between some pages, grep-like operation, etc.). This could be done by giving several templates to a page and giving rules to choose which one to apply (with an option to choose the pages dynamically).
    For my part, I'm desperately looking for a dynamic and automated way to hide the folio/page number when it's an empty (no text) or almost…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Image Borders for Selected Edges

1. Make it possible to select the edges a graphic or image receives a border.
    2. This matters because it can be nice to e.g. only give a top and bottom border to an image when it's layouted in a column in order to separate it more from the typography. Without the feature you have to create line objects, keep them properly spaced manually etc. which is tedious

An example would be how you can choose borders for cells in Apple's Numbers

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. New way to select individual text characters by marquee or dragging a box etc.

Text selection via marquee like the lasso tool in Illustrator or photoshop. This would select individual characters in live (not outlined) text for formatting just the selected characters in interesting ways. This also helps to select a column if you are working in tabbed text rather than text in a table. Also, picture a large body of text where you could highlight say a circle for instance in the middle and make it a bolder font. There used to be a plug in for Quark that did this exact thing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Text Frame Row Rule Options

It would be brilliant to have this feature added in the Text Frame Options in order to be able to add a number of rows (and its attributes) along with the number of colums.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Long, NOT complicated, password requirements

Can you please stop asking me to write password with ridiculously complicate rules to try and make them more secure?! What's more is you force people to use something they have never used before as a password every time it gets re-set. What you have to remember is that REAL PEOPLE with REAL WORKING BRAINS need to be able to actually REMEMBER their password. Rather than spending 10-15 minutes every time they need to login to an application/ server re-setting their password because they can't remember it, how about you just make them use a long, random collection of words,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Include Paragraph Styles in Table Styles

There needs to be a way of assigning paragraph styles to header rows and individual columns, not just cell styles/table styles. For example, I have a paragraph style for each of three columns in the table's header row, One for the Item Category, Regular Price heading, and Effective (sale) Price Heading. Then I have four paragraph styles for the rest of the table based on the column, one for item number, one for item description, then of course the style for regular price adn effective (sale) price. I should be able to include these paragraph styles in…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add a feature that allows you to predefine paragraph style spacing based on which style comes before or after it

I have set up some paragraph styles in my InDesign document that have space-before and space-after set on them. Some of the styles are for headers. When the headers precede a regular paragraph, I want the space to be there, but when they precede another header, I want there to be less space. In web development, I can write rules in CSS that say things like this:

p { margin-top:10px; }
    h2 + p { margin-top:5px }

I am able to make the margin-top narrower on a <p> tag that is immediately preceded by an <h2> tag, but otherwise, it's…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. User Dictionary specifications for some languages

Unlike English, where the declension of nouns in cases is made using prepositions, there are many languages ​​in which the declension is made according to other rules, for example, by changing part of the word itself.

For these languages, we add the same word to the dictionary dozens of times, but many words are built and changed according to the same rules. (Russian, Ukrainian, Byelorussian and many Eastern-European languages).

Here is an example (not complete) for two Ukrainian words ("dissertation" and "compilation").

ди~~сер~~та~~ція, ком~~пі~~ля~~ція
    ди~~сер~~та~~цію, ком~~пі~~ля~~цію
    ди~~сер~~та~~ції, ком~~пі~~ля~~ції
    ди~~сер~~та~~цією, ком~~пі~~ля~~цією
    ди~~сер~~та~~цій~~ний, ком~~пі~~ля~~цій~~ний
    ди~~сер~~та~~цій~~на, ком~~пі~~ля~~цій~~на
    ди~~сер~~та~~цій~~ні, ком~~пі~~ля~~цій~~ні
    ди~~сер~~та~~цій~~ним, ком~~пі~~ля~~цій~~ним…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. More powerful use of Conditional Text

Conditional text is a great tool, but limited. It could be used to apply formatting to text that would survive the "clear overrides" of para or char styles.

I can see that conditional formatting that changed the text itself could be difficult to implement (such as font size, applying italics, small caps, no break, no hyphenation...) but if it could do that, it could prove very handy to giving a persistent formatting "style" that would not be affected by clearing overrides.

Also: Sometimes highlighting or underlining is not appropriate. I'd like a flag in the margin that marks the beginning…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Edit Description in Links Panel

It would be great to have a the ability to edit the "Description" column directly in the links panel instead of having to click on every object and then "Object Export Options." Would save sooooo much time to be able to edit the alt text right from the links panel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Scale stroke proportionaly in object-based rule il liquid layout

The stroke doesn't scale when changing page size either manually or with the page tool in object-based rule in the liquid layout. It does work in scale rule. It would be great if there was an option to choose between scaling the stroke or not.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Text form field with several columns

In the case of a text form field, text areas that extend over several columns are automatically recognised and can also be continued in the form.

Good for the following use case: If templates are created where the text is displayed in columns, it would be good if the form fields could also be linked together. So that the maximum number of characters is automatically distributed over the specified number of columns.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Merge Across

In Excell, you can highlight several columns and there is an option to "Merge Across" where it will merge each row individually for the entire column. I'm working with a list of items that includes some html tags that InDesign treated as tabs, so it turned them into extra columns. In order to get them back to what they should be, I'm forced to merge each row individually, whereas this feature would allow me to highlight the original and extra columns and merge them all at once, keeping them in each of their rows.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Apply more than one cell style to a cell

With more complex tables, such as those for financial reports, the number of cell styles required becomes very slow to work with.

This is because you may want one column in one colour, another in a different colour, but then a row stroke cuts across all the columns.

At the moment, InDesign only allows you to have one cell style applied per cell. This means that when you've styled your table using one cell style, e.g. a colour, when you then add the other cell style for a row stroke, it will override the first cell style.

You then…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. horizontal table flow in text boxes

Right now, if you have a table that has more rows than the text box can handle vertically, the table will auto-flow into a new/threaded text box, or another column within the text box. It would be really helpful if tables could the same thing horizontally.

For example, let's say you set up a table with 3 rows, first with images, a second with item numbers, and a third with descriptions. Each column for this set up is an inch wide, and you have 30 items that each need their own column, but you want it to fill an…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base