Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• or

219 results found

1. Create a text variable window to see and edit values faster

Right now you have to open each variable independently. Then if you want to change the value you have to save and exit each variable. Also you have to open each variable to see the value.

Please create a Text Variable Window with two columns. One for the Name the other for the value. This way we can see the variable and edit the variable. Add the add icon, and add duplicate variable icon.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Text Frame Row Options

Right now, text frames in Indesign only allow you to divide into columns. It should also give to divide into rows as well

In Illustrator, for text frames you have this option. See screenshot.
    You can do it with by creating a table, but you cannot make it reflowable like a normal text frame.

It would be a fabulous feature have.

Please do same for Indesign, PRETTY, PRETTY PLEASE.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Great new palettes

I like Adobe add great features to InDesign:
    1- Ligature Manager: to enable \disable specific ligature(s) in a document, since Unicode and opentype revolutionized the typography abilities.
    2- Kerning Manager: to enable \disable specific kerning pairs in a document, since many non-latin font metrics are badly calculated.
    3- Equation Editor: for maths, chemistry… etc.
    4- Footnote Improvement: to enable user to add marginal footnotes, put footnote in columns… etc.
    Very Much Thanks to Adobe Brains.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Changes to the review tools

First, I'm using ID 15.1.3 and I cannot upgrade at this time. Not sure how much of these ideas would be resolved by upgrading.
    -Is it possible to make pins and pencil lines transparent? There are two ways I can think of: a percentage slider just like alpha control in color settings, or a three point switch: hide/semisolid/solid. Either way I would like to see this as a control for each comment so you can choose it individually. Right now the pin or pencil line blocks the art somewhat, which is where the transparency would be handy.
    -Right now, you…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow the paragraph shading to 'knock out' paragraph border in some way for more usefullness

If I specify a border & use just the 'top' as a horizontal rule with the idea to have it appear only on either side of a line of text, there isn't an option to do that or for the shading to knock-out the 'border' or have one in front of the other so it would be handy to be able to specify that one is on top of the other & the option to knock it out or a gap size. I've achieved the desired effect in the 2nd image with a white stroke but that doesn't work well…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Ability to create a custom Glyph

I need to insert in text symbols that appear on products - I have the symbols as an image which can easily be converted into bitmap/eps or whatever is needed in Photoshop.
    It would be nice to be able to great a custom Glyph set and create your own library of regularly used symbols - I have about 200 of them from the technical writing I do. Inserting them and getting them to "stay put" is very time consuming and it would-be much easier if they worked just like putting in a symbol from a wingdings font or similar. It…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Multiple Document Measurements when Creating

@InDesign Can I please get an option to add more columns because I would like to see in picas, pixels, and inches - all at once https://t.co/4KPzedBqS4

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add table formatting with cell style rather than replace all existing formatting

When doing financial table I need to added extra space or strike to rows while also adding fills to some columns, also some columns have different text style eg Bold, Italic etc.
    With Cell Styles they override the existing formatting.
    I would like to be able to add these as a Cell Style to a row without replacing the existing format . This would be a bit like a nested style.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Better use of tags to create a barrier-free PDF with InDesign

Hello Adobe InDesign Team

for accessibility I have to use TAGs in PDFs. I creat my PDF out of InDesign and InDesign has already some features to add TAGs and structure to a PDF when exported but some features are buggy or incomplete so the PDF has to be revised manually, which is a big disadvantage especially when there are changes in the original InDesign file later.

So here some of the most imported things I would changes to make this process easier.

1. Add PDF/UA-1
      A barrier-free PDF need the PDF/UA-1 Note in the XMP-Metadata. I can only be done…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Have two systems of unit measurement operate simultaneously, depending on feature and function

I would like InDesign to operate simultaneously in two unit of measurement systems. I would like to be able to work and view typographic measurements such as point size, leading, paragraph spacing, baseline shift, and drop shadow amounts in Picas/Points; but at the same time see my page size, margins, object dimensions, column widths and such displayed in inches, or mm, or even pixels, according to my need. I don't want to have to switch back and forth to easily SEE and reference measurements in control panels. I want some to display in one system, but others to display in…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Last Sentence Nested Style Option

Add an option that will allow you to set up nested text at the end of a paragraph in addition to the beginning of paragraphs. Our magazine bolds the last sentences in one of columns and this would be a big time saver.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make Color Books available under Window menu, like in Illustrator

I can no longer view Window > Swatch Library > Color Books. This now missing function allowed me to view/choose Pantone and other color books PLUS opened a window with all the swatches at once, just like Illustrator does.
    Please reinstate this feature! of viewing the color book swatches arrayed in rows/columns in a scrolling window. See attached screenshot for how it used to look (matches how it works in Illustrator).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make gradients constant within the same table.

Gradients within table cells change direction when the rows are adjusted. If the columns are adjusted the gradients stay the same, why not the rows? It's extremely timely having to constantly fix the gradients within the cells if I have to adjust the rows in any way. The gold row gradient at the top is correct but after adding a row to the grid I have to manually manipulate each cell to get the gradient right.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Table option to disallow breaking across pages

I would like to be able to specify that a table should not break across columns, frames or pages. It could be an option in the Table Options ('Keep entire table together') that could then be specified in the Table Style. Alternatively, if it's easier, I'd be happy with the existing Cell Option 'Keep with next row' to be available as an option to set in the Cell Style, and I could then apply the appropriate cell style as the basic cell style in the Table Style. This would be much easier than manually selecting each individual table and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add Units selection in dialog boxes

It would be extremely helpful to have an option to switch between units in all dialog boxes where values can be entered in different units.

For instance when making a new document we have the option of selection units via a drop down menu.

Is there really any reason why this is not an option in all cases where the user can input values of certain units?

We could need it in the following dialogs:
    - Document Setup
    - Margins and Columns
    - Create Guides
    - All the Dialog boxes for setting paragraph, character object styles.
    - Print Dialog…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. PDF Export Formatting Issue

I found that no matter what export options I use or how I format my file, it exports incorrectly. My content is in 2 columns on InDesign but when exported it seems pretty random how the PDF is structured (see the image).

This poses a problem for parsing software to be able to read the document in the correct order. It's common practice within most companies to use this for resumes. I'm sure it's also used elsewhere as well.

I've contacted support and they tried to resolve the issue by using my computer remotely. They found that this feature…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make the Links Panel more efficient/less work to use

Make Links panel more usable by wrapping the information for links. For example, I can't even see most of the file path until I undock the panel and make it wide enough to view. Same with a long file name. Then you have to F around adjusting the **** columns so you can see both file name & file status. Wouldn't it make more sense to have an auto-size feature so info like this is easily viewable? Even wrap text to the next line. Also, why so much space between all the lines of info? It's a ridiculous amount…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. We need much more comprehensive word/character counts functionality

We need much better support for word counts than simply selecting some text or an active story and getting feedback on it through the info panel.

As others suggest, we need support for Books, entire documents, I want to know how many words are in tables, footnotes, how many words are duplicated from master pages, give me a breakdown of words by style/font/colour so that I can use these parameters to easily subtract them from a count.

Pretty much like Illustrator when nothing is selected can give you a breakdown of information document wide, and then specifics when you select…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Grid guide for graphic frames

In much the same way that the crop tool in Photoshop has optional grid overlays (rule of thirds, golden spiral etc), Indesign could have the option to toggle these on/off for graphic frames.

This would be immensely useful for positioning images in graphic frames – for example when placing a headshot and wanting to align the subjects eye using the rule of thirds or golden ratio.

This would be far better than having to crop/resize images in Photoshop in advance, particularly because you can then adjust the size of the graphic frame in Indesign without having to redo your crop…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 7 8 9 11 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base