2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

709 results found

1. Custom Tagging/Grouping Filter for Fonts

I'm posting this in InDesign, but the implementation may be easier as a Cloud feature so that it would be viable through all the Adobe programs that heavily use font (Photoshop/Illustrator/InCopy/etc.)

I'd love the ability to add custom tags to my fonts that are personalized to my individual account, and the subsequent ability to filter fonts by my tags.

Example: I might tag several fonts that I purchased a license for only a specific client under their name (PrivateCo). I might also tag several different fonts I received from a client to do a marketing campaign for under their name…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Ability to place 'live' endnotes at end of story, not in separate frame

Fairly straightforward - current 2018 endnotes are forced into a separate frame, rather than being at the end of the text in the story. This means having to constantly manually moved them about when text frames are being adjusted. Need the ability to have the same positional behaviour at the end of the body text within the same story frame as endnotes have always previously had (preferably whilst still being live, but failing that, the ability to turn off the new behaviour would be sufficient).

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Option to add Conditional Text to Paragraph/Character Styles

Would be extremely useful if you could automatically add a condition by applying a paragraph or character style (via data merge or an external Data Management System) to text without having to do a GREP find/change. Would make producing different versions more practical.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Improvements to "space between" feature

Hello, InDesign people!

The new "space between paragraphs using the same style" feature is a wonderful thing, and it is useful, but I feel it could be improved upon. In practice, there may be several different paragraph styles that should be regarded as the "same style" for this purpose. For instance, say I am designing a book with poetry extracts (block quotes) mixed into the main text. Before we had the "space between" feature, I had to make a paragraph style for the first line of a poem (with space before), a second style for the subsequent lines (no paragraph…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Deleting unused paragraph styles in one fell swoop

I highly recommend that Adobe updates a feature to delete all unused paragraph styles in one fell swoop instead of a file by file case.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Diagonal Strikethrough

An upgrade to the existing strike through option with new settings that allow for diagonal lines. I've added a mockup of the character style options.

This would be an awesome little update wich has many uses and make the life of a lot of InDesigners easier.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Defining a Drop Cap

If you define a Drop Cap in a paragraph style WITH a character style and also define a nested style, if there is a single letter word starting the paragraph, the nested style does not recognize it and will apply the nested style to an additional word beyond the deliminator. For example, a nested style through 3 words will apply to the first 4 if the paragraph starts with "I[space]" or "A[space]". It does not do this if [none] is chosen from the character style dropdown in Drop Caps, but only if one is chosen (even when nothing is defined…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue.
    However this behaviour seems to prevail since quite a long time.

I have marked it NeedsReview for consideration in the coming versions of InDesign.

-Aman

8. Spell Check in Reverse (Backward) direction.

When running spellcheck on a document.. Id like to be able to go back. I click through the spell check pretty fast in the interest of time. Id Like a "back button" instead of just a "skip" forward button or "ignore all" button... Instead of having to go through the entire document to get back to the word i saw that might be misspelled. I'd like to be able to click back to the word then proceed through the remainder of the document.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have implemented this feature in the latest version of InDesign (InDesign 15.0). Now in addition to Spell Check in Forward direction, you can choose “Backward” direction while checking spelling.

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out this feature.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Allow footnotes to renumber in same document

When importing a Word document with footnotes or endnotes that are continuous, add feature to begin renumbering footnotes from 1 for each chapter or section. It does not work in the current versions of InDesign CC even with the preferences set to renumber with each new section when the text file is linked from section to section.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Price format : Wordbased diagonal strike-through

1. Price formatting : we need a character style that allows BARRED PRICE styles : a diagonal strikethrough in a different colour, and needs a line style which allows a full line or a dotted line version . See screenshot

2. Millions of uses a day. For a lot of indesign brochure designers.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Underlined spaces at the ends of lines in running text

1. It would be nice if, when an underlined space falls at the end of a line in running text, the space "disappears" so that it's underline isn't hanging out in space like a ghost..
    2. It's valuable because it looks weird when an underlined space sticks out beyond the last nonwhite-space character in the line. It's particularly noticeable in justified type, but I think the same principal applies regardless of the justification.
    13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Full-width space is treated the same as Kanji

I've been using InDesign in a Japanese environment and have long been frustrated by the lack of distinction between kanji and double-byte spaces.
    When you want to select consecutive Kanji by double-clicking (or command + → etc.), adjacent double-byte spaces (0x3000) will be selected together.
    When you receive an unsatisfactory text manuscript, double-clicking a wasted double-byte space will select the adjacent kanji together.
    I can't imagine the single benefit of this specification. It's just inconvenient.
    I would like you to improve this.
    I hope you will get the approval of everyone. Thank you.

<Japanese>
    私はInDesignを日本語環境で使用していて、漢字と全角スペースの区別がついていないことを長年不満に思っています。
    ダブルクリック(あるいはcommand + →など)で連続した漢字を選択したいとき、隣接する全角スペース(0x3000)が一緒に選択されてしまう。
    美しくないテキスト原稿を受け取ったとき、無駄な全角スペースをダブルクリックすると隣接する漢字まで一緒に選択されてしまう。
    この仕様について、ただ1つのメリットも想像できません。ただ不便なだけです。…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Import Text Variables using .csv

Currently the only way I can see to import a list of text variables is via another .indd. It's tedious to manage a ~10,000 text variables (prices in a catalogue) within the text variable window in InDesign. It would be great to manage these variables in Excel and then be able to import the .csv into InDesign, to change the variables instantly.

The import table feature is a good way to do this, but only if the prices are displayed in a table. My prices are all separate text frames.

Thanks
    Nick

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. non-contigious text selections

I'm absolutely amazed that a product (inDesign) with the power to do everything from making a cup of coffee to managing the invasion of a small African republic does not provide a user with the ability to select non-contigious text. Given the value of this as a feature, I can only assume that it has been requested many times over but that Adobe has deemed it not important enough to warrant inclusion. Surely it is a rather simple coding exercise to include this.

I write books using inDesign and I waste many hours selecting different text items and making the…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Rotating a linear gradient used in paragraph shading

At the moment there is no level of control for rotating a linear gradient used in paragraph shading. Please add that functionality.

Thanks, René

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Fit frame to text WIDTH (not just height)

When working with text in a text frame, we have the FIT FRAME TO CONTENT button that collapses the frame height to the minimum height required to fit the existing text. That's great, use it all the time, but it doesn't collapse the width at all.

It would be nice if there was also a checkbox/option or different button that would also collapse the text frame's WIDTH to the width of the longest line.

This would make it quick and easy to distribute spacing between a bunch of little text boxes aligned in a row. Right now I have to…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Make "Paste without formatting" work for any type of text in clipboard

If I want to paste text into InDesign and use the destination formatting rather than whatever the source is, I'm hard-wired to use "ctrl + shift + V". However it appears that if the contents of the clipboard are plain text, this command isn't available, presumably because InDesign thinks it's not necessary.

This means that the interface is inconsistent, because sometimes you need ctrl + V and sometimes you need ctrl + shift + V, depending on what's on the clipboard.

The option should always be available so that if you want plain text you can use the ctrl +…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. OpenType User Interface

In this blog article there a great description how indesign can massively improving the handling with fonts and their opentype features...

https://klim.co.nz/blog/towards-an-ideal-opentype-user-interface/

https://ilovetypography.com/2014/10/25/why-a-better-opentype-user-interface-matters/

Also take a look at the Petition:
    https://ilovetypography.com/2014/10/22/better-ui-for-better-typography-adobe-petition/

Is there anything in the works?

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Indic Unicode font rendering is broken in InDesign

When writing text in certain Indic scripts, InDesign does not render the font correctly. For example, using the Padauk font for the Myanmar script, the following string renders the Medial Ra (U+103C) around the consonant Na (U+1014) instead of the consonant Ma (U+1019).

မြန်

This bug is a large blocker when dealing with Indic text in InDesign.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base