Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. 21 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update:
    Few of our users have commented that the issue is still not fixed for them. We sincerely regret the trouble caused.
    In our attempt to eliminate the problem completely, we could identify few scenarios in the which the problem would manifest. While we acknowledge that the list of scenarios may not be exhaustive, we assure you that we are continuously working towards solving the problem completely.

As far this thread is concerned, we are closing it for now. If you continue to face the issue, please reach out directly at sharewithid@adobe.com.
    -———————————————————————————————-

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu…

2. No Panels at Start

Many times CC apps start with no panels at all or panels which won't expand when clicked.

Also happens in Photoshop, Illustrator in my experience and on different machines (Mac Pro at home, different iMacs at the office).

Has been going on for many iterations of CC apps.

macOS High Sierra 13.13.3 / CC 2018 InDesign 13.0.1

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    As per some recent comments on this thread, customers have confirmed that the issue is fixed.
    We are closing the thread. In case issue is encountered again, please log a new thread.

-InDesign Team

3. Font Weight Not Changing

In the Character panel often it is not possible to change a font weight from Regular to Bold for example. I have to go in the font menu and select the font specifically.

Also, in the character panel the menu to change weights does not change anymore when I select a different font. For example: Metropilis Black becomes Calibri Black (which does not exist).

Clearing caches and trashing preferences does not help.

Happens on different machines, Mac Pro at home and different iMacs at work / CC 2018 InDesign 13.01

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Gradient Feather -180° Shows Hard Edge

Gradient Feather Bug @ -180°

This bug has been in InDesign for many years.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. High Sierra 無法開啟 cs3 indesign

無法開啟cs3indesign

安裝了macOS 10.13 High Sierra後。開啟cs3 indesign時。呈現空白對話框。既無法繼續操作也無法結束 . 請問有無解絕的辦法

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. datamerge crashes after updating placeholder

The Crash happened after selecting the word between the data merge tags << WORD >> and then clicking on the placeholder name in the data merge panel. I had to do that to update a datamerge placeholder that lost its link to its source after converting the document back from cc18 to cc17.
    After relinking the data merge document, some of its tags still worked throughout the document and some didnt.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Wrong characters exported to PDF.

My InDesign-Document uses 1 font only. After exporting a PDF, some character-combinations are replaced by a special character (see Screenshot). After closing and re-opening the document, the error doesn't appear again and the PDF file is exported normally.

InDesign Mac CC 2018 (13.0.1)
    OS X Sierra 12.12.5
    Monotype Fontexplorer 6.0.3

Thank you all!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

8. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Changing Font Family on Bullet Options causes my computer to immediately crash and logout?

In the "Bullets and Numbering" section of the Paragraph Style Options, when I try to open the dropdown for Font Family, it seems to crash, and my computer acts like it logged out.

Screen goes black, then shows the user login screen. When I log in, it's like my computer was shut down unexpectedly. All other application windows reappear but have to reload, like it was shut down, not just logged out.

Why's this happenning?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. multiple display drop down issue

When using two displays extended vertically rather than horizontally (eg, Display 1 arranged to be above Display 2 rather than to the left or right of), if a dialog drop down is longer than can be fit on one of the displays and is positioned in screenspace such that it should spill onto the other display, it is cut off at the edge instead. Screenshot attached. Running latest OS X and latest InDesign CC. Only occurs in dialogs: parent window drop downs don't try to extend beyond the active display.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Cursor size in working area is huge InDesign CC 2018 Win

The ID cursor (black) when over the workspace is huge. It is normal size when hovering over the tool bars (white), but when you move over the workspace it is supersized. This occurs when working on an external monitor, but is scaled appropriately on HD Laptop Screen.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. InDesign 2018 can't differentiate between two similiar font names

Our company works with two fonts called "CalloutTS" and "CalloutTS2". They are similiar, but not the same. For years everything worked fine. But since the CC 2018 update, InDesign can't differentiate between these two fonts anymore. You can now only select "CalloutTS". But depending on which computer your working on it randomly shows either the glyphs of "CalloutTS" or of "CalloutTS2". InDesign reads the font name of "CalloutTS2" now also as "CalloutTS" and can't decide which font to show. It seems like a simple digit isn't enough anymore to differentiate between two font names. This is a huge problem because…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. drop shadow issues

Hello!

I'm trying to do an A3 poster with two layers:
    Layer one: A rectangle a white-black gradient fill and some line option and drop shadow applied.
    Layer two: Some text frames with white text with black strokes.

When I add drop shadow to the text it looks just as intended on screen.

But when I print it out on a big, expensive Samsung X7600 Series printer, I get a kind of gradient color in bottom of text frames. As if I had applied some color to the frame.
    (Please see the attached file "indd cc print screen".)

I have…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Indesign performance issue : Object movement

Indesign is always giving me rainbow wheel even if I edit small slides.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.

In the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3
    We have fixed multiple scenarios where the movement of objects was found to be slow.

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

16. crash font style

Unfortunately, the Mac crashes when you want to create a new character format in Indesign. I deleted the default settings and restarted Indesign -Mac. But unfortunately that didn't help.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. postscript file

Print dialog set to print 3 x 3 thumbnails. I selected Postscript File in the Printer menu, and it blocked the thumbnails options. I saved the .ps file, but it was not usable:

When the file was converted [whether with Acrobat Distiller or Preview], the layout was for a vertical page layout, with the right page of each spread cut off.

Question: How can I create a usable Postscript or PDF file for thumbnails?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Loading saved ase swatches come in wrong order

This is driving me bonkers. I have a group of custom swatches that I use in InDesign. I have them in a specific order. then I "save swatches" and create the ase file. When you "load swatches" and bring them back in.. they are out of order. this Is new behavior. I have been ding this since CS6 and it was never an issue. They would load in the same order they were in when you saved them. I can load them out of order and then reorder them. with no document open and it will stay that way for…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Choosing a link's page or layer right in the links panel

I would love to be able to change the page of my links without having to replace the file and select the page through import options. I use a lot of nested indesign files where I'm duping up business cards with multiple sides. It gets timely when I have 4 sides and I have to replace them all 8 times. Keep it in mind guys! You're doing an awesome job! I <3 adobe people!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. No longer able to use arrow keys in outer glow size

I used to be able to arrow up or down in the "size" for an outer glow and other transparency effects and the increment would increase or decrease. I am no longer able to do that. It is a bit frustrating. I'm working on a Mac with the latest operating system and my programs are all up to date. Please fix this bug!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base