Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6483 results found

1. shift key no longer works to gather objects into a group

shift key no longer works to gather objects into a group

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. InDesign crashes 2018 update-type ellipse path

InDesign will not allow me to type on an ellipse path and it crashes every time I try.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Pallette pop-up menus appear on dual monitor

I'm using InDesign CC (latest version) on a Macbook Pro 15" (OS 10.13.3) together with a Dell 24" monitor. Most of my pallettes (except the very basic ones) are on my Macbook, while I have my workfield on the bigger monitor. What happens is that the pop-up menus of the pallettes i keep on the on the Macscreen appear on the big monitor, for instance all the transparancy-options. Very annoying and time-consuming!
    I tried resetting the prefs, re-installed InDesign, but no effect. Does anybody recognize this and have a fix? Thanks a lot!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. finding font instance

Using the Find Font menu utility, I highlight the missing font then click Find Next, which many times does not work even if there are many instances of the font. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Very frustrating.

IDCS13.0.1, mac

and

THIS IS NOT AN IDEA -- it is a BUG ... try saying "BUG". Now write it out. See, it's hot so hard, is it?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When flowing text in multiple textboxes, Object Styles settings are ignored

1. Indesign 13.0.1 OSX
    2. Create an object style and set it as the default for new Text Frames. Create a new Text Frame. Click on the linking box at the corner and hold down alt to link the Text Frame to a number of new TF's. Draw a number of new linked TF's with the alt key pressed.
    3. All Text Frames should have the Object Style set as default
    4. The new TF's have an OS of [None]
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    This has been the behaviour since the beginning. See the link https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/object-styles.html where it states “This category is applicable only if the object is an unthreaded text frame.”

Please let us know any use-cases where this can be beneficial so that we can process this as a “Feature modification request”

You can ctrl(cmd)+a in a text frame and then apply the paragraph style as a workaround.
    -Aman

6. indesign cc2018 - IDML EXPORT INCORRECTLY

indesign cc2018 - IDML EXPORT INCORRECTLY
    Some paragraph and text format was changed

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. copy with drag and press alt makes two copies of the objekt. It used to copy once - now it produces two more objekts

Indesign 13.1
    Mac 10.11.6 El Capitan
    copyfunction drag + press alt makes two copies of the objekt. It used to copy one - now it produces two objects

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesign CC 2018 - Error message: "Ein Druckbogen kann maximal 10 Seiten enthalten."

Each time I place a new picture-box in a text the error message appears. Of course I don't have more than 2 pages on a "Druckbogen".
    Now I always have to wait until the message appears and have to click "OK". That's not funny. I Have to place more than 200 pics in the document...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

9. Bug copy and paste complex XML Element CC2018.1

Only on CC2018.1

The problem is highlighted by copying a complex XML TAG containing a nested structure of XML from one document to another.
    Only SOME TAG are pasted, not all and the parent TAG is missing.
    Both from programming and from interface

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. book file don't work

Hi,

unfortunately it looks like the book file isn't work anymore with InDesign CC 2018.1 in Windows 10.

On my Mac it is working! I have attached two hardcopies (the one with correct page numbers is from Mac, the other from Windows 10 pro).

Obviously I tried to create a new book file and added files manually – same result.

As a result all cross-references between documents are wrong.

Any ideas?

Ulrich

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Images pixelated when published online, if the frame is scaled

Images inside scaled frames can be pixelated when published. It looks like the frame scaling is applied to the resolution i.e. a 10% scaled frame will have 10% of the desired resolution. Reproducible if 'Adjust scaling percentage' preference is set. Setting a higher export resolution in the 'Publish Online' dialogue doesn't fix it.

InDesign CC 2018, probably older versions with Publish online.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. cross-references bug introduced with 2018.1 update

The 2018.1 "search" added to cross-references is great and will be very helpful. Unfortunately it appears that a bug was introduced in the process of adding this feature.

When you double-click on a cross-reference in the Cross-References panel, it opens the Edit Cross References window. This used to open the window to the cross-reference you selected so you could edit it. Now, it opens the window at [All Paragraphs] with the first paragraph in this list selected.

This is a MESS for my workflow, as I now have to search through the cross-references to find and select the one I…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. search document and all documents

Since today's update (03/15/2018) in Indesign CC2018. The Search Box, even if you chose "Document" or "All documents" only performs searches in "Story"

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have tried the scenario on latest InDesign 13.1 and we are able to find the in “document” “all document” as set in dialog without any problem.
    Please elaborate the steps for reproducing the issue. That would be really helpful.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

14. Publish Online thumbnail navigation has disappeared

The cursor changes on hover and link works but the graphics are missing for forward and back.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Data Merge to PDF (using the new single page export feature) does not work properly

Using the packaged folder attached, go to the Data Merge panel and select Export to PDF. Click OK on the first dialog box and in the second dialog box, make sure the "Create Separate PDF files" checkbox is checked.
    Expected result - 6 PDFs that have correct content in each PDF.
    Actual result - 6 PDFs that have incorrect content. PDF 1 is fine, but PDFs 2-6 are the same content as PDF 2.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Shared document on server crashing upon opening

I am working with colleagues on a file stored on a shared server. When they try to work on a document that I have worked on (documents that I have changed, not just created), InDesign crashes upon trying to open the file. If they then try to restart InDesign it continues to crash upon starting until they restart their computer. We have both tried updating InDesign and it is still occurring. Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Placement cropping set to "Art" when relinking an Indd file to a pdf

1. A bug in Indesign 13.0.1. Mac OSX

2. Place an Indd document inside one.
      Relink all instances of said link to a pdf file created from the linked Indd file.
      The placement option changes to "Art" regardless of what has been the last option set when placing pdf:s.

3. Expected to the pdf's retain cropping to media as is the case with Indd files OR retain cropping from last set option in the Place pdf dialog.

4. Pdfs cropped to "Art".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Numbering and section options

If you have multiple types of numbering options in one document, (say using Roman for your intro pages, and then convert to regular numbers for the main document) you can't change them even though the option is not grayed out in the Numbering and Sections Options dialogue box. If you click on it, it just reverts back to what the document started as and won't select that other numbering option.

Exact same document, and I (on 13.1) cannot change it, but my co-worker who has 13.0.1 can.

Adobe INDD CC 13.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please provide further details so that we can try to reproduce the issue in-house.

1. Which OS version are you using?
    2. Is it specific to a document?
    3. Does the issue happen with other dropdowns as well?

-Abhinav Kaushik

20. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base