Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6481 results found

1. Objects on canvas move down when new page created

Have just noticed that when I create a new page in the middle of a multipage document, objects on the canvas of following pages are all pushed down an extra page - i've screen capped before/after. I tested on two other documents and one other computer and was able to reproduce the issue every time...

Version: 13.0/CC 2018
    Reproduce issue by: Create multipage document with objects on the canvas. Insert pages using pages palette in the middle of the document; watch all your canvas content move down!
    Expected result: for the content to stay on the canvas of the pages…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

2. Anchored frame looses the XML tag information as soon as anchor is released/anchor point is moved forward.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create an anchored text/graphic frame with some inline text/image. Tag the frame with some XML Tag (say 'tag1').

2. Now release the anchor.

Expected output
    - On releasing the anchor, there should be no changes in the XML tag on frame.

Actual output
    - On releasing the anchor, the frame gets untagged.

Additional note: Similar thing happens when anchor is moved forward to another position in inline text. In this case also, frames gets untagged

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. InDesign Crashes when Scrolling the document

My file continually crashes whenever I attempt to scroll down on the document.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve fixed the issue with InDesign’s latest Mar’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-march-2018-13-1-release-notes.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

5. Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1

Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1
    App is OK after restart. Once working on the document for 10 min the navigation around the document and any command request, ie duplicate a image slows down and becomes sluggish until app is restarted once more.
    Im working on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB.
    (Display performance at "Typical Displace)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Find text and replace doesn't work with this new update!

1. Find text and replace doesn't work with this new update!
    2. I (and many others) have requested that footnotes work in tables - is this ever going to happen?? Please..!
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Can you please add a small video (on WeTransfer/Youtube/Dropbox) and post a link here so that it can be looked into?
    We have tried to reproduce it but unable to do it.
    Also, please try once after clearing your cache and preferences. forums.adobe.com/thread/526990
    -Aman

7. eyedropper

Eyedropper not working in CC2018 (ME enabled). When I click a blank square then use eyedropper tool to copy color values from an existing vector graphic, the vector graphic container changes color instead. And while testing just now, if I draw two squares, one black one white, then select one to copy the color of the other, the selected square disappears. Text blocks fail to copy too and all eyedropper options are selected. This wasn't an issue with CC17.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi

There are two different issues mentioned here, and let me address them separately:
    1. Clicking a blank square then using eyedropper tool to copy color values from an existing vector graphic, the vector graphic container changes color instead.
    >>> Are you facing this problem with a specific vector graphic or with any graphic as I am unable to reproduce this issue with InDesign CC (13.0.1)? If possible, please share your indd file as a package with anasgupt@adobe.com and a small video demonstrating the issue will be really helpful.

2. If I draw two squares, one black one white, then select one to copy the color of the other, the selected square disappears.
    >>> With InDesign CC (13.0) the transform options have been added to the Eyedropper settings, this includes size and position. It seems that these options for you are checked and when you click on the square to…

8. text outside of text frame

Text suddenly appears outside of frame. This happened on two different pages. In one instance, the number (which is the result of a numbered list) did not appear at all, but it had been previously there, and in other instances, the number appeared outside of the text frame. There were no overrides on the style. This suddenly happened. If i placed my cursor and started typing where the number should have been (and was with all other numbered bullets), then the disappearing number reappeared in the one case, and, in the others, the number moved back into the text frame.…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Layers with visibility or printing turned off still appears when printed.

layers that have visibility turned off and layers with the layer option set to "do not print" don't show up on the monitor but are present when printed.

Mac Pro 2013, OS 10.12.6
    ID CC 2018, 13.0.1

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Page wont show in page panel

There are some pages that are created from before. They even have a master applied on them but the page panel wont show all my pages. I can not select them or move them. Please help.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Data missing when importing a spreadsheet (Exel) into InDesign

When I insert an excel document into my indesign document some values of some cells do not appear in Indesign document. I tried to save the excel document in an older version and that's the only way it worked.I think it's a compatibility issue. See this link that have the same problem: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/65160/data-missing-when-importing-a-spreadsheet-into-indesign
    I need that this issue resolved to can work in editorial work design.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Data Merge causes crash/lock-up when displaying panels on second screen

When displaying my panels on a second monitor using InDesign and then trying to begin a data merge the application crashes and becomes unresponsive.

If I change the layout of the panels to one screen (the default layout) it works fine.

I've uninstalled InDesign and reinstalled, also deleting my preferences folders/files.

I can select the data source and insert one field, but then clicking on anything else after the first field has been inserted causes the application to stop responding.

I've attached a screenshot of the panels on the second screen for your reference - there are no panels on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Copying multiple objects and switching documents causes InDesign to crash every single time.

Copying multiple objects and switching documents causes InDesign to crash every single time. Copying text from inside of a box or copying a single object doesn't seem to cause the crash to happen.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Cannot export to PDF in a Google Drive folder

When exporting a large file to PDF which is located in a Google Drive folder, the background (export) process will stop with an error "cannot export to PDF" and sometimes ID will crash.
    Tried several times and kept on stopping. Worked well when exported to the desktop (or any other non Google drive location).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Incompatible with Windows 10, won't even open

My Windows 10 laptop simply will not open InDesign.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Bad performance InDesign to InCopy

InDesign 13.0.1 and InCopy 13.0.1.
    I right click multible text blocks in InDesign to export them to InCopy and then save.
    After saving I inmediately get and new window asking to save the links again with a different name. I have to cancel the second save dialog window.
    The InCopy links do work in InCopy, but My collegues complain that InCopy is slow!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. object feather tool is no longer working properly

why is the object feather tool is no longer working properly?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. XML structure

I'm working with a client that needs to use InDesign and InCopy to create documents that are marked up with XML. After relinking stories or updating graphics in InCopy, it destroys any special structure set up with the XML. For example, I have a handful of charts that are nested under a parent tag which is then nested another parent tag. Inserted a chart into this frame in InCopy--saved and closed. Opening this file in InDesign, all nested XML is blown open.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. The button malfunction in Indesign CC

The button sometimes function in Epub and sometimes it does not work.

If I restart the software, it works. There is a bug.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base