Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6507 results found

1. Dragging the zero point to a new location will not work in rotated spreads

If you rotated a spread view and you want to move the zero point from the origin to a different location the landing point is never the one you dragged the cross-hairs of the rulers to.

It needs a sophisticated script that will workaround this bug. Currently I'm writing one, that should overcome this issue.

Nevertheless, that should be fixed.

Watch the movie clip where I like to drag the zero point to a new loaction and always fail.

Regards,
    Uwe

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. copy multiple text-frames > crash

When I try to copy more then one text-frame InDesign (latest version, Mac, El Capitan) crashes.

Sad to say that this does not happen in every document (but in more than one), so it's hard to find the cause.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign CC 2018 Crashing Several Times Daily

After updating to InDesign 2018 the application suffered from crashing. I applied the CopyPlugin_MAC.app patch, but it did not fix the issue.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Can't scroll through pages in presentation mode

2017.1 Release, 12.1.0.56 Build
    macOS Sierra version 10.12.6

When I go to the presentation mode, I am not able to scroll through the pages. Whether i use the trackpad, arrow keys, or change the keyboard shortcuts.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    There has to be a scenario in which the scrolling of the document is not working in presentation mode because, otherwise it is not reproducible at our end.
    I can observe that, pages do not scroll while making a vertical gesture on the mouse, but through other methods such as, click, arrow key pages can be scrolled easily.

Are you able to scroll using clicks and arrow keys?
    Is it the case that, the issue is intermittent or only happens in a specific scenario?
    Also, let us know your machine details such its configuration, OS version and Id version

This can help us to get to the bottom of the issue

Thanks,
    Abhinav

5. Indesign cuts off effects on PDF Export

InDesign cuts off effects on PDF Exports if they get too large. (Also to mention... menues look different fot Font or Object Effects... someone realigned one of them and forgot the others.)

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: CC 2017.1 with Tablefix
    Steps to reproduce the issues: Create a new Document that's wide enough e.g. 5000mm (happend to us on a big Banner) – Write Text - Use Effect "Bevel" - Export to PDF and watch it fail.
    Expected result: A Text with the applied effect
    Actual result: The Effect gets cut off (we almost printed a job…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

6. Open Sans

Open Sans not working in Indesign 13.0.1. Have cleared font cache, reinstalled clean font from google and still it doesn't recognise it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Fast save is taking 37 seconds

I imported a Word file that has a lot of linked footnotes into InDesign 2018. Spread by spread, I touch each paragraph to fix overrides. There is no reflow of text when I do this step. Yet when I do a plain "save" before going to the next spread, InDesign is taking 37 seconds to save. 37 seconds of watching the rainbow spin. InDesign is acting like it is reflowing every page in the background as it quick saves. That should not be necessary. The last time I experienced this type of slowness was back in the PageMaker days. The…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Page Hyperlinks Defaulting to page 1 when Exporting to PDF

I have a multiple documents in a InDesign book. Each document has several page hyperlinks between all of the documents. I have exported this in the past and everything worked fine. Since updating to CC2018 the page hyperlinks no longer work. They all default to page 1.

I had to update some image links and make some text changes so the books and documents are all now in CC2018. I do not see a way to save the indb file as a idml so I think I am stuck on CC 2018.

I am exporting as a print pdf and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InDesign CC 2018 macOS High Sierra - BUG FIX REQUEST - Text Variable File Extension

Steps: TYPE/ TEXT VARIABLE/ DEFINE/ FILE NAME/ EDIT / Select or de-select "Include File Extension"

Expected results: Should be able to add or remove file extension by select or de-selecting the "Include File Extension" check box.

Actual results: File extension cannot be removed by un-checking the "Include File Extension" box, when adding a text variable under the File name field... See attached...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. page not displayed

I am editing a long document (over 300 pages). Several non-consecutive spreads are displaying blank. When I change screen mode from normal to preview, it displays the content correctly. The same happens if I change Display Performance prom Typical to either Fast display or High Quality Display.
    Also selecting all the text (ctrl+A) takes more than 5 seconds. The same operation in MS Word is instant.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign Shortcuts set to retro QuarkXPress Shortcuts not working after High Sierra update

Edit/Keyboard Shortcuts/Set to [Shortcuts for QuarkXPress 4.0]

InDesign CC shortcuts set to retro Quark shortcuts not working after updating to High Sierra 10.13.2

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Document Fonts Package Between WINDOWS & MAC Not Recognized

Hello.

There is a problem when doings packages between Windows & Mac OS : since years when you do a package on an OS through another the fonts saved in the folder "Document Fonts" is not recognized by the OS...

So we can't open & modify the document when we received a package from Windows when we are on MAC OS or vice-versa.

So we need the client to supply the fonts one by one which is quite annoying.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. PDF Exporting Issue - Linked EPS wrong color

When exporting files created w/ Id CC 2018 13.0.1, some linked eps files appear in the PDF in a totally incorrect color. I've tried embedding the files and saving as an interactive PDF, to no avail. This has happened with multiple docs . Given this issue, I'm rendered unable to print any of my projects. Any insight appreciated!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Trying to copy any item or group of items crashes InDesign

Attempting to copy any item or group of items to the pasteboard in InDesign crashes the application.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Links from CC Library suddely missing and can't be relinked

I sometimes have a problem with links from the CC Libraries, the links work fine when I save and close the file. But then sometimes when I open the INDD-file the day after it says that the links are missing, and when I try to relink it just say that "Either the file doesn't excist, you do not have read permissions to it or the file is used in another application".

But none of the options in the dialog box are correct, the files in the library still works fine in other documents. I have no idea how to fix…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Recent file panel

When Indesign first opens, the time stamp on the recent file is not correct. Some of the files are marked "in an hour" as when they were opened. Others are just marked as 4 hours ago.

The normal keyboard shortcut for hide does not work either on this screen.

Indesign CC 2017.1 release 12.1.0.56 build

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Dialog Box Disappears

From time to time the Move dialogue box will not show up when called using the hotkey Shift-Command-M. InDesign then thinks a dialogue box is open and will not perform other tasks. You cannot exit the phantom dialogue box with escape. You cannot save your document. You cannot quit InDesign without manually force quitting.

I am on Mac High-Sierra OS 10.13.1 (17B1003) and the latest Creative Cloud version of InDesign. I have had this happen on multiple computers and on multiple versions of InDesign.

I do not have multiple monitors - however, I do use the Spaces function on the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. EPUB Interactivity panel resizes

In the release version of InDesign CC 2018, when you resize the EIP panel, then close it or make it part of a workspace, it should open at the same size you left it.

In CC 2018, it opens in the size you last left it, but immediately snaps to a very small size, forcing you to resize it EVERY time.

This makes working with interactive features very cumbersome. Please fix! Thank you.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

19. Object Layer Options not working using Photoshop files

I've placed the same layered photoshop files into ID three times to show how an animation works. Going to 'Object Layer Options' and clicking 'Keep Visibility Layer Overrides' is meant to keep your selected layers visible, even if the Photoshop is resaved. This no longer works. Once the link updates, all three update to look the same and forget which layers i've told it to show. Why?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. CRASH REPORT EVERY TIME I QUIT INDESIGN

Now I have Ctrl Changes installed (software that tracks changes) InDesign produces a Crash Report every single time I quit InDesign.

Attached is a copy of the Crash Report.

Please help fix this bug.

Thank you, Robert

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base