Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6507 results found

1. excel import filter fails formatting

When importing an Excel spreadsheet, formatted cells are incorrectly imported.

E.g., place the following one-cell spreadsheet in CC 2018 (not tested in earlier, but I imagine it's true there), and you'll see either "10,000,000,000,000.0." in the cell (under macOS) or "1,000.0" (under Windows).

Needless to say, this is a critical bug for people using Excel with InDesign, since it causes serious mis-representations of imported numbers.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Indents not holding after page break

1. InDesign CC 2018, though I logged this bug for 2017 as well. It may also have existed as far back as CS6. I had hoped it would be fixed in this release.
    2. Create a paragraph style that has a left indent and set text in that paragraph style. Set enough text to flow onto a second page.
    3. The text should retain the left indent after the page break.
    4. Sometimes, the first line of text after the page break does not retain the indent.
    17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in InDesign’s latest version, id 14.0.3.
    Please update your InDesign to try out the fix.

Note:
    If you open a file which already has this issue, in the new version, you may continue to see the issue.
    To resolve such cases, you may SAVE AS the file or do a force text re-composition as the workaround

However, all the new files created in the new version will not have this issue anymore.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

3. Align Towards Spine/Away From Spine in Slug Area

Not sure if this is better as bug report or feature request . . .

Spine alignment options do not work for text in Slug Area. For example, text set to Align Towards Spine and positioned in the slug area beside a recto page does not align toward spine.

It makes sense why spine alignment for objects generally might not work for text not touching a page, since the pasteboard does not have a spine, but the slug area should be recognized as an extension of the page (or, at least, the requirements of the page).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Can't duplicate and drag pages in pages panel

If I select pages in the pages panel, drag and duplicate to sit somewhere else within the document, it wont duplicate. Even though the + symbol appears as I drag, it only moves the selected pages within the document, it doesn't make duplicates/ Only if I drag and duplicate to sit at the very end of the document, will this actually duplicate. This is the first I've noticed this bug today.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

5. Page panel and some others have some problems

Hi, I'm using Indesign CC (13.1 x64) on Windows 10. After the last upgrade (past week) there is a problem with the pages panel (see attached images): the last raw of page are without number (it seems it's hide under the panel frame) and even if i try to extend at maximum the panel, those numbers are still under the frame.
    Also I had the same problem with the link panel, but solved it extending the panel.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Align window is empty

After the latest update of InDesign CC 2018 to v. 13.1.0.76 the align window is empty (see my screenshot). I work on a Mac with El Capitan.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. drop shadow issues

Hello!

I'm trying to do an A3 poster with two layers:
    Layer one: A rectangle a white-black gradient fill and some line option and drop shadow applied.
    Layer two: Some text frames with white text with black strokes.

When I add drop shadow to the text it looks just as intended on screen.

But when I print it out on a big, expensive Samsung X7600 Series printer, I get a kind of gradient color in bottom of text frames. As if I had applied some color to the frame.
    (Please see the attached file "indd cc print screen".)

I have…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesign changing opacity for an unselected item

I am trying to place a slightly opaque rectangle over an image but when I select to lower the opacity on the rectangle, the image (regardless if it's above or below) changes as well.

What's more odd is when I select that photo after I do the action, the image says it is at 100%. The "change" has not been reflected. I have uploaded a 1-2-3 photo demo. Note the photo's slight change in transparency although set at 100%.

This happens when the photo and rectangle are in separate layers, as well. The two items are not placed within each…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The magic of InDesign’s effects all happens via Adobe’s transparency technology, which allows us to blend colors and detail from different objects. In order for it to all work there has to be a consistent color space for InDesign to use when it blends colors. This is called the Transparency Blend Space and it’s really important that you understand it in order to get the most out of InDesign’s effects. When we use transparency effects, InDesign compares different objects and combines their colors and detail. In order for objects to be blended, they have to be in the same color space. So when you apply transparency, InDesign converts everything on a spread to the Transparency Blend Space, regardless of whether that object is actually involved in the effect. And it’s important to note that when we say things are converted, we don’t mean that InDesign alters your placed files; they…

9. 'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, master same for both files

'Move Pages' causes the position of content to shift to the right on right-side pages, even though the master pages are the same for both files.

I am trying to take several page sets and combine them in one file, but I have to manually fix them after moving the pages over. Very concerning as I'm not sure if anything else is breaking or getting lost in the move.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. ICML export doesn't include <HyperlinkPageDestination> elements

(Affects all versions of InDesign that support ICML export)

Export the story in the attached document to ICML. Delete the story in InDesign and then re-import the ICML. The Hyperlinks panel shows "The referenced paragraph or text anchor is missing".

This is only a problem for the ICML export of internal links. Hyperlinks to pages in external documents are exported correctly. The information is also correctly stored when saved to IDML.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Curves from Illustrator are straight lines in InDesign but fine when exported to PDF

I have a graphic that I've created in Illustrator that one of the curves displays as straight lines when viewed in InDesign. Export it to PDF and it displays as it should. The grey circle that this element sits on renders correctly in both. We have had this on files in the past. Any ideas?

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Multiple variables in a TOC

While having headlines with zwo or more variables in the document, the TOC will be horrible wrong - it looks like a variable-puzzle.

This mistake destroys any dream of creating efficiently catalogues and users are forced to use any kind of dirty-trick or handle on very expensive way a "handmade-process".

This Bug is known since CS5.x.
    So please: Repair this Bug - now!

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

13. Typographer's Quotes bug?

I've encountered an issue with Typographer's Quotes not working. I've searched extensively online and tried all the usual suspects (Typographer's Quotes is on in preferences, both Document and without any documents open; reset preferences) but I've been unable to fix them.

After further investigation, it seems that the issue only occurs using a single typeface (Skolar Latin, installed as OTF versions in Windows 10 Pro itself, rather than via Typekit). When typing double or single quote marks in InDesign with any weight of this typeface, then the straight version is inserted, irrespective of the Typographer's Quotes setting. If I do…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When creating a EPUB with jpeg images there is always a .PNG file

When creating a EPUB with jpg images there is always a large .png file in the EPUB (it this is not an image). Publish Drive is refusing my EPUB because of this .PNG file.
    Please help

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Master Page

Master Page not reflected on some document pages. Adobe InDesign CC 2018. Workaround was to change the affected document pages to another master page, then change back to the original master page. The document pages then refreshed to the expected result.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

16. For some reason Indesign is still painstakingly slow...

The slightest movements take FOREVER!!!!

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

17. Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Steps to reproduce the issues:
    1. Create a new document.
    2. Select File > Place, check Show Import Options, select attached Columns_26.xlsx file.
    3. Note nonstandard default Cell Range: A1:A@10 (should be A1:Z10).
    4. Enter custom (valid) Cell Range "A1:E5"

Expected result:
    No error and a table containing cells A1 through E5.

Actual result:
    Error message, "You have not entered a valid 'Cell Range'. (See attached screenshot.)

This error is given for any sheet whose right-most column is a multiple of 26 (so Z, AZ, BZ, etc.). Place the attached…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

May 16, 1028

I am using macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.4 which I updated a few days ago.

I was/am using the InDesign CC 2018 version 13.1.

I got/am still getting the same error, after uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign.

1. New document in inDesign CC 2018.
    2. Letter size w/bleeding edges.
    3. Selected the document.
    4. Did a CMD+D and selected my .psd file, which was created on April 26, 2018.

Result: Error
    Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested information.

Thank you in advance.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Hanging Indent plus Left Justify makes words float out of text frame

I often use bulleted lists with the commmand/backslash (hanging indent) tool. If the text is aligned left, no problem. But when I use left justify, it sends some of the words off to the right — outside of the text frame! Please see examples below.

The text samples here were using Adobe Paragraph Composer. But when I switched it to World-Ready it fixed it!

I've been having this problem for a while. Before I updated to InDesign 2018 and after the update as well. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a Mid 2011 iMac.

Solved in this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2462045

Here…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Hyperlink

Hyperlinks are not working when exporting to PDF from InDesign.Please fix this bug.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base