Bug details

Type Tool Deselects Itself

InDesign 14.0

When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

33 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Christie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am still having this issue even with the 14.0.1 update. As others have mentioned the issue goes away if the Control bar is not open, but that's quite a tradeoff and woefully inefficient as well.

THIS IS NOT FIXED!
    Problem is happening when I open indesign documents received from macos on windows.
    This is very very annoying. Instead of adding useless and "fancy new functions" better keep the old ones and not break them.

• Jesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue has not been fixed in 14.0.1. Occasionally when switching to another tool, like the line tool, and then using the keyboard shortcut (T) to select the type tool, the action works. However, it still does not work when you have the move tool selected. In the screencap below, every time the tool quickly selects the type tool I'm pressing (T) on my keyboard and every time it switches back to the move tool, I'm not touching anything. So, it seems like it was partially fixed, but, still has major issues.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CorWTi1pnCl5Ik9ud_0GByB9rvBnS-JW

• Craig Slade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still happening to me and has been for a few versions now. Windows 10, 14.0.1 x64

This has been messing with my workflow for months, would really appreciate some movement from Adobe to resolve.

• Larry Wahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed 100% with comment below.
    This is still an issue—a very bad one when you're trying to work on layout.
    And IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THE CONTROL BAR IS VISIBLE.

Same, happens when I have the Control toolbar visible (which I need).
    NOT FIXED. Please re-look into this!

• Aaron Sullivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To clarify, I've discovered this only happens for me when I have the "Control" toolbar visible. If I remove that then the issue goes away.

• Cheryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not fixed!! - Updated to Id 14.0.1 but still have the exact same problem with the Type Tool (T) shortcut. When I press "T" it jumps to the Type Tool for a second, then jumps back to the previous used tool again.

• Hugo Miramontes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is happening to me too! I find myself drawing a box with the move tool sometimes instead of the type tool. It seems to happen when there's a pause in the program such as loading something in the background or switching to preview.

Here's how I can get it to happen fairly consistently. I think the busier the document, the more it will occur.
    Be in preview mode with the Move tool selected.
    Press T, then W, and then drag. The actions should happen quickly after each other.
    At some point, sometimes, the tool will have switched to the Move tool and a selection box is made instead of a type box because of the sudden tool change. I get the loading cursor sometimes and that's when it's more likely the tool will change.

This is on Windows 7 as well, though it seems it's happen on other system configurations as well.

Have the same issue. Mailed you a .mov with WeTransfer. Thanks for having a look.
    I only had this issue sinds InDesign CC 2019 (don't have Mojave yet).

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base