Bug details

Type Tool Deselects Itself

InDesign 14.0

When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

29 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Christie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Larry Wahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed 100% with comment below.
        This is still an issue—a very bad one when you're trying to work on layout.
        And IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THE CONTROL BAR IS VISIBLE.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same, happens when I have the Control toolbar visible (which I need).
        NOT FIXED. Please re-look into this!

• Aaron Sullivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To clarify, I've discovered this only happens for me when I have the "Control" toolbar visible. If I remove that then the issue goes away.

• Cheryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not fixed!! - Updated to Id 14.0.1 but still have the exact same problem with the Type Tool (T) shortcut. When I press "T" it jumps to the Type Tool for a second, then jumps back to the previous used tool again.

• Hugo Miramontes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is happening to me too! I find myself drawing a box with the move tool sometimes instead of the type tool. It seems to happen when there's a pause in the program such as loading something in the background or switching to preview.

Here's how I can get it to happen fairly consistently. I think the busier the document, the more it will occur.
        Be in preview mode with the Move tool selected.
        Press T, then W, and then drag. The actions should happen quickly after each other.
        At some point, sometimes, the tool will have switched to the Move tool and a selection box is made instead of a type box because of the sudden tool change. I get the loading cursor sometimes and that's when it's more likely the tool will change.

This is on Windows 7 as well, though it seems it's happen on other system configurations as well.

Have the same issue. Mailed you a .mov with WeTransfer. Thanks for having a look.
        I only had this issue sinds InDesign CC 2019 (don't have Mojave yet).

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After upgrading to InDesign 2019, when I use the shortcut key for the text tool (T), it switches to the text tool briefly, but then switches back to the previous tool. If I click on the text tool in the tool panel it works.

InDesign 2019 on OS 10.12.6

• Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been dealing with this issue for a few years now. I've used different versions of InDesign, on different computers... What's wild is when I demonstrate it to other artists in my department, and they say they've never experienced it. I recorded a gif if anyone's interested https://gph.is/2yyKJys

• Štefan Kováč commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same buggy behavior for me on Windows 10 after the latest update. (T) shortcut switches back to Selection tool

• Patrick Hofweber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is happening to me as well. Same issue as Steven describes.
        I press (T), the cursor changes to a bracket. I click on a text box, the tool reverts to the previous tool.

This doesn’t happen when selecting the type tool via the tools panel.

- Other shortcuts are working as intended.
        - The shortcut in settings is listed as Default: T
        - OS X 10.13.4

- Indesign 13.1

• Patrick Hofweber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is happening to me as well. Same issue as Steven describes.

- Other shortcuts are working as intended.
        - The shortcut in settings is listed as Default: T
        - OS X 10.13.4
        - Indesign 13.1

• Isaiah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having a similar issue! It seem to only happen on larger files though. I've tried reproducing it on a smaller file luckily tough hitting T brings up the type tool. I have a video of me switching to the other tools with my keyboard just fine but when i pull up the type tool it refuses and goes back the the previous tool I was using. It's hard to tell but you can see the type tool only pops up for a short second before switching back.

https://adobe.ly/2GlZwCc

Hopefully this helps!

• AdminAbhinav Kaushik (Quality Engineer, Adobe InDesign) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I have tried this at my end but unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce it. Hence, I may need more information from you. Would it be possible for you to share a small screen-video with me showing what is happening?

Also, tell me, is it a consistent issue or an intermittent one?

You can share the video using any file sharing platform eg, Dropbox, Creative Cloud files etc and share the link with me at abkaushi@adobe.com

Regards,
        Abhinav Kaushik

Hello, this is also happening to me. Whenever I press "T" to use the Type Tool, it will switch to the Type Tool for a second but switch back to whatever tool I was previously using before. Very irritating.

Using InDesign CC 13.1 on
        MacOS High Sierra v. 10.13.3.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base