Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• or

445 results found

1. Drag Edited Images in Lightroom Directly to InDesign which automates Export and Creates Shadow File Folder Structure of Edited Files.

Drag Edited Images in Lightroom Directly to InDesign which automates Export and Creates "Shadow File Folder Structure" of Exported Edited Files. This would allow easy Image Navigation for visually identifying assets from Lightbox environment and directly linking them to INDD files without the cumbersome and redundant step of Exporting and then searching for exported file in FINDER. This is a no brainer for LR IND Integrated workflows! Please prioritize!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Update only some pages of an earlier exported PDF

When Exporting a big document, sometimes after a change it would be nice to update only the changed page in the exported file.
    - it would save time as the export would complete faster
    - no need to have all the linked files of the whole document locally just to update one page
    - it would save me exporting one one some pages and then opening the old PDF file in Acrobat and replacing the updated page manually.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Auto Package INDD files by Default

It would be helpful if InDesign packaged documents by default when they are created. Ideally, as fonts and linked images are added to/deleted in the document, they are auto added/deleted in the package.

This would be a time saver and would ideally eliminate the unnecessary duplicate INDD file created in the current package output and ensure all the current assets are in the file without ever having to manually update.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Text form field with several columns

In the case of a text form field, text areas that extend over several columns are automatically recognised and can also be continued in the form.

Good for the following use case: If templates are created where the text is displayed in columns, it would be good if the form fields could also be linked together. So that the maximum number of characters is automatically distributed over the specified number of columns.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Network package issue

I get a error message when I try to export a PDF or make other package from a file that I packaged from company network server. Is like I can't access the links files anymore. And I even can't delete them!

I'm using the Indesign 13.1 and macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Indesign 2024

To the developers:

I am in charge of a newspaper in the north of Spain, ALERTA. I am considering whether to switch to the new InDesign 2024 following the information from the presentation meeting your company held. It has taken me time to adapt our catalog to your new policy on Type 1 fonts. Once this issue was resolved, and I was able to look at the new features of the new version, I found that some of the things said in that presentation are either false or not entirely true to reality. That story about the new paragraph styles…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Keep saved video attributes when opening packaged file and relinking media

I am working on documents that are published online, with video and sound features. If a file is packaged and sent to other members of a team, upon opening the Indesign file, you are required to relink all media in the Links folder. However, some features are then lost, like the Poster frame settings for Video files (set in the Media panel).
    It would also be useful to be able to have the option to have sound on or off when publishing online, without having to do this in another application.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. color profile black listing and/or whitelisting in preflight

Not everything that is RGB is bad in today's print publishing. While we certainly don't want to use sRGB images if we can avoid it, there are some good options for color spaces in media-neutral design workflows (e.g. eciRGB, Adobe RGB).
    Being warned that certain undesirable color profiles are being used in linked images, and skipping those that are considered okay, should improve any modern desktop publishing workflow.
    A "missing/no profile" option should also be included, as these cases completely defeat the purpose of color management workflows.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Preflight profile to target certain problem fonts

Would be nice to have a preflight profile or be able to customize a preflight profile to target certain fonts that are used in linked pdfs from customers. We Use Enfocus to process art and whenever Customers use Free or unlicensed versions of a certain font it causes Enfocus server to crash. Identifying these fonts when first placed in indesign would save our designers and printers time and many headaches. I do get warnings every once in a while, but it doesn't catch all of them. A preflight profile as a secondary check would be most helpful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a warning in dynamic spell Control when writing two or more spaces between words

Add a warning in dynamic spelling control when writing two or more spaces between words like most document softwares have like Windows Word .

This wish I have asked for some years ago but with no result.

I use InDesign mostly to write booktext directly in the books which I prefere to be able to combine text with pictures (in my last book there were more than 700 links tp pictures in 352 pages)..
    When you change a text you have written it is very easy to add an extra space which the automattic text placement often makes it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow the 'import options' dialog window to be scaled up

When re-linking or placing a layered file it would be useful if the relevant dialog window can be scaled up. This would make it easier to select which layers are imported, especially when importing artwork that has a large number of layers (e.g. an Illustrator file). At the moment a lot of scrolling is needed especially if each layer needs to be imported into InDesign individually. Would be useful for workflow to be able to scale up the dialog window to see all layers at one time, and then select/de-select layers them from there.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Fix "Analytics" on Publish Online

The company I work for creates ebooks and then updates it by request of the clients. The links can't be changed as people use them in their communication so we have to update the ebooks instead of uploading new ones. By doing this we're unfortunately resetting all the analytics for the ebook. Trying to get the analytics with a delay of "approximately 90 minutes" is a joke in itself. So if I need to update a document I can't wait 90 minutes to eventually see the analytics and then save them somewhere. I suggest fixing this and turning it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Choosing the number separator yourself

When you translate a pricing table the decimal comma might change to a decimal point. E.g. German to English. Even when i changed the language of the file to english, there was no way for me to change the decimal comma to a decimal point. I used a GREP search and replace for that. But as soon as the linked excel table updates, i have to remember to do the GREP search. I managed to change the decimal seperator in excel, but indesign seems to override it by using the systems language.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. repeat action for specified pages

while working on a document, it occasionally becomes necessary to apply a transformation to each page in a sequence of pages, for example, rotating an instance of a linked file on every other page, scaling the content of certain pages to prepare for printing in a slightly modified format, etc.

It would be very useful to have a button that performs what is essentially the "repeat last action" or "repeat sequence again", but rather than applying said function to a selected object, records the marquis selection area as part of the sequence, and perform the selection and action on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Want to check if Adobe has been 'hacked' because I've received an unusual email supposedly from an Adobe ID Product Manager

After sitting in the phone cue for an hour because there are no appropriate option choices for 'contact Adobe about suspicious emails asking for detailed questions about my account'. I thought I'd post it here because the email claims to have links to the InDesign team. Email content raises a number of security flags which require IT in my company to check it out and as I am IT, I tried - but if you can't get through to anyone at Adobe and there's nowhere to deal with security issues in the 'contact' section of Adobe, then guess I…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Package convert images to specific format

For architects, urban designers, and artists, InDesign has become an essential tool. However, our needs differ from those of graphic designers, introducing unique challenges. We often maintain specific folder structures for original files, repurposing them for various mediums - be it print, websites, or emails. For instance, when delivering a poster, it's inefficient to include large PSD images in both the 'links' folder and another location. Notably, for academic submissions, recipients often don't require layered files; they need images suitable for websites, emails, etc. Considering that most competition or submission layouts remain static after submission, a "convert images…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. aic

Please Make it possible for InDesign to read aic-files, since it is a huge part of working with InDesign to Place ai-files
    There can be a lot of ways to do that.
    The easiest way is just to allow InDesign to open the "gate" to the "cloud-folder" and read it from there, since it is already done from Illustrator and Photoshop.
    another way could be th make a "ghost-file" in the local CC-folder that shows a mirror or links to the file from there.

And there is possibly a lot of other opportunities aswell.

I just don't understand…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Would like to add a separate gradient applied just to text, not related to textframe, just to the word (or any textcharacter)

I would like to apply a gradient to characters and words only, not related to the textframe in which they are printed.

If I have one or a few words in a gradient designed, and due to a textedit the word flows to the other (or a previous) line, the gradient appears different than how I designed it.

At this time it is either only related to the textframe, or I'd have to convert the text to outlines.

Or, as a workaround I can take the word out, place it in a separate textframe, apply the gradient, and place it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add option to embed placed INDD like other placed files

Indesign can embed all linked files into an INDD, except for at least one file type: INDD. You place an external INDD, you can't embed it. If you share the main INDD with other people, they have the external files separately, but Indesign cannot find them, because of different paths.

Also, embedding files into an INDD is used to create a snapshot or final version, which isn't possible in this case. The reason to embed an INDD instead of a PDF created from it is the work flow. If you modify the external INDD, which may be used in…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Capacity to ignore external plug-in

Hi all.
    I have a work made in Aquafadas (now Rakuten). The plug-in for digital publishing will not be developer again because the brand wil close the business. So, I switch the plug-in to another one (InPublishing) and everything goes fine on 2020. But with InDesign 2021 it seems to be impossible to work. InDesign 2021 made a ceck on files and it seems impossibile to add a file made with a plug-in that is not installed on a Book.
    That's very stupid, because It seems that I cannot work with 2021 because the original plug-in is not installed. BTW…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base