Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• or

248 results found

1. Tags - Improve UX and UI for using Standard PDF Tags

Make the Standard PDF Tags available for quick, one-click import into the InDesign Tags Panel from the Tag Panel Menu. The UX/UI could be similar to importing common color libraries (e.g., Pantone Coated) into Illustrator Color Panel.

By "Standard PDF Tags" I mean https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/editing-document-structure-content-tags.html#standard_pdf_tags

Basically any UI that is quicker than manually adding all the Standard PDF Tags, exporting to XML, and then in the future having to remember where they are saved and importing. Also helpful when user frequently changes computers, temporarily doesn't have access to a shared network drive, etc.

Bonus Points

• Color Grouping: Preset the Standard…
    6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. one document multiple user

Allow different users to access the same document files simultaneously to edit. Like in CAD programms were you can lock layers or pages so you can have one project sharing file within your working group.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Background Tasks Pane animation

Create an animation setting for the Background Task Pane so that the pane gives feedback while in a closed, docked position.

Why this is important is simple. Even with the larger and larger monitors with more and more real estate, simple things like the Background Tasks Pane having to be fully open to be examined is counterintuitive and by extension counterproductive. I would like to be able, with a simple glance at a docked pane to tell exactly what state the background task is in and if further detail is desired or needed, then it can be expanded with the…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Redesign keyboard shortcut system to mimic that of After Effects

After effects uses a mappable graphic interface of a keyboard. Utilizing this interface would make reassigning keyboard shortcuts a much simpler and more intuitive endeavor. Along with allowing any command to be assignable to any keystroke/key combination it would be unbeatable. I don't understand why this isn't just the Adobe standard for all desktop applications. Can they not share? They put so much effort into syncing through the cloud but they don't put effort into matching their programs up to each other.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. adding PMS colors to color books

Rahul Sharma: Hello. Welcome to Adobe Technical Support.
    Mirjam Pijning: Hi
    Rahul Sharma: Please allow me 1-2 minutes while I review your issue.
    Rahul Sharma: As I can understand, you want to use PMS 2148C swatch color, is that correct ?
    Mirjam Pijning: That is correct
    Mirjam Pijning: But it is not available in the color book PMS Solid Coated
    Rahul Sharma: I apologize for the inconvenience.
    Rahul Sharma: I'll be glad to help you with your issue today.
    Rahul Sharma: May I have your phone number to update your profile?
    Mirjam Pijning: +31 6 46 23 03 62
    Rahul…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please add InDesign as a supported Creative Cloud file type

I was very excited to learn more about CC files and libraries during Max. I wanted to start implementing CC files to take advantage of versions and file sharing. It's very disappointing to learn that InDesign isn't currently a program that's supported for CC file saving. Please add it.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Text Variable "Running Header" to work across indvidual Indesign files within a Indesign Book

"Running Header" working across multiple indesign files within a book would allow a more modular approach to book production: common elements such as headers and footers can changed globally within a book, that shares some of its content i.e. individual indesign files, with another book but whose headers and footers must be different.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. DATA MERGE

Importing an image via .CSV or .TXT file requires the use of an absolute @IMAGE link, it would be very convenient, for file sharing purposes, for this link to recall the files from the folder where the INDESING file resides, using a relative @IMAGE link, using a relative @IMAGE link.

EXAMBLE:

Volumes:BK2:PACK HD:CLIENT:PROJECT 1:PACK:LINK:file.ai (ABSOLUTE LINK)

LINK/file.ai (RELATIVE LINK)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Adobe's Collaborate should alert user when someone else is viewing/ editing the file

InDesign Files shared with team members through Adobe's Collaborate features do not alert users when someone else is viewing/ editing a file. Instead, conflicted copies are created.

A team member opening a file someone else is viewing / editing should see an alert to avoid the creation of conflicting copies / improve collaboration.

Without this, our team is unlikely to use Adobe's Collaborate feature.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Keep Comments on the Spread When Resolved

My reviewers love being able to see the conversation and comments all the other reviewers are making, saving them time by not making the same comment over and over. My proposal team thinks the interaction between InDesign and SFR is wonderful!! In our large documents, we have found as we start to make the edits, the comments disappear making it challenging for the document editor to find where they were. The comment totally disappears or it throws them to the end of the list in a pile of "unmapped comments." BUT it then totally moves the comment off…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Use links with CC Libraries

I think it would be great to be able to use linked files in CC Libraries. We have a lot of master art on shared drives, and it wouldn't be practical to have it all in the cloud in a Library. For our team, this would be a huge addition... to store a shard-drive link to the file and a thumbnail, instead of uploading the entire asset.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Preview Image for InDesign Published Documents

It would be great if published InDesign files could have an image preview option for the link. It make sharing the link easier

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add ability to convert a cross-document shared destination hyperlink to a regular URL without losing/re-entering the link

FEATURE REQUEST

In order to help avoid broken and/or inadvertent cross-document shared links, please:

1. Add a function to the Edit Hyperlink dialog to CONVERT a hyperlink url currently shared from another document into a normal self-sufficient url unlinked from the source document. (Currently, making this change to a hyperlink requires the user to change the selection in the "Link To:" dropdown menu from "Shared Destination" to "URL" which clears the previous the URL, and then hunt down the source URL and manually re-input it.)

2. Add the ability to apply this conversion to multiple selected hyperlinks at…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Have a shared dashboard for adobe cloud documents (InDesign) so any studio team member can publish/update documents

Have a shared dashboard for adobe cloud documents (InDesign) so any studio team member can publish/update documents

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Online InDesign document for client text edits — like InCopy but online without the need for technical know-how or files to move around

I wish there was a way to post InDesign files online that would easily allow proofreaders, editors, clients or anyone without a lot of technical know-how to log in and make text edits. Freeing up designers from spending countless hours making text edits.

We tried InCopy, but we store files on a shared server and move files up and down through a project management tool. Being able to properly move the InDesign and linked icml files was way too confusing for our writers and proofreaders and out of the question for clients.

When we work on PPT presentations, we…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add option to embed placed INDD like other placed files

Indesign can embed all linked files into an INDD, except for at least one file type: INDD. You place an external INDD, you can't embed it. If you share the main INDD with other people, they have the external files separately, but Indesign cannot find them, because of different paths.

Also, embedding files into an INDD is used to create a snapshot or final version, which isn't possible in this case. The reason to embed an INDD instead of a PDF created from it is the work flow. If you modify the external INDD, which may be used in several…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. ‘nth of type’ conditions for paragraph styles

In CSS, we can use an nth-of-type() selector to define behaviour for the nth instance of a style. For example, we can make all paragraphs have a first line indent, but use nth-of-type(1) to remove the indent from the first paragraph on the page. This feature also supports (odd) and (even) values for n.

This feature would be extremely useful in Indesign for a range of use cases. Importantly, it would eliminate the need for several styles when typesetting multiple-paragraph block quotes, interview dialogue (indenting/outdenting), drop caps on chapter openings, etc.

For full flexibility, I imagine the feature would offer…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. "sketch mode"

i would like the ability to create a mockup right from a working document to share with a client. this "sketch mode" would put placeholder horizontal lines in the text frames, x’s in the image frames, and assign an architectural-drawing-inspired, hand-sketched stroke around all the frames. there could be a layer for notes and flexible arrows for labels and client-focused descriptions, and any actual text, images, or page furniture already placed could be hidden. the designer could export the pages in a large thumbnail-size presentation and then modify the document based on client comments without leaving the working document. this…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Lyft background check?

It is an honor to be able to join the Lyft driver community, which sounds like one exciting environment. I am currently in the course of getting through the application steps. As I go through all the steps, I have thought about the thoroughness of Lyft with respect to what it looks for in a background check. While doing some research, I stumbled across this informative article (https://consumerattorneys.com/article/what-does-lyft-look-for-in-a-background-check), shedding light on the subject. I am very sure that your collective wisdom can provide more details.

Just for those of you who have firsthand experience in driving for Lyft…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Leave links in the CC library when packaging a document.

Many of my links in my InDesign documents point to a shared CC library. So that I don't have to resend all the data when I package the document, it would be good to have a function that leaves the links of the document in the CC library and only collects the images that are not in the CC library.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base