Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Drag-Duplicating using Alt/Opt key does not work if key is pressed after dragging

InDesign 2020 OPTION Duplicate is now broken, just like Photoshop has always been.

Don't make me commit to the duplicate before moving an item.

Sometimes I'll move a box, then realize I intended to duplicate it, so then I'll press OPTION... now I have to commit to it FIRST.

Fix this and stop breaking things!

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

18 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we’re still working to make the fix available for this issue, we suggest a workaround to overcome it.

Open Preferences > Interface. At the bottom of this dialog, change “Live Screen Drawing” to “Never”.

As mentioned above, we’re working to fix this issue.
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

2. Indesign incredibly slow or crashes with more than one document open

InDesign (15.0.2) becomes almost unusable with more than (1) document open. Trying to copy text or images from one document to the next or just work in one of the documents while the other is open results in minutes-long wait times (or complete crash) to even select a text box, type a character, etc.

Steps to reproduce:
    Open INDD doc (either on network or desktop)
    Open second INDD doc
    Attempt to edit text in either doc or copy over text from one document to the next

Set-up info:
    InDesign 15.0.2
    Windows 10 Enterprise // 10.0.17763

Trouble-shooting included:
    - Turned off…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Khmer Script Punctuation Line Breaking Is Broken

Regression Bug (used to work in InDesign CS 5.5)

Adobe InDesign CC 15.03 currently will break lines between Khmer script and its punctuation even though no space is present (Khmer Unicode Punctuation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmerscript#Spacingand_punctuation ) as pictured in the attachment.

Desired Result: Khmer punctuation should stay with the Khmer script preceding it (just like an English period, comma, question mark, etc. does). The whole word should line break with the punctuation (currently Khmer uses zero-width spaces [U+200B] to indicate a word-boundary).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Crashes when copying and then pasting into Photoshop

Latest version release 15.1.
    Copied artwork that had eps file and spot color. Selected the group. Copied. Tried to open Photoshop screen (was already opened). InDesign then froze. Then crashed. Seperate elements work fine.. Not the grouped artwork.
    Expected results: Artwork is pasted onto a photoshop layer.
    Actual result: Crashes InDesign. No copy is shown to be pasted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.1.1(v15.1.1.103) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. On the latest release the spell checker does not like plurals and some other words - Allows, remembers,

On the latest release the spell checker does not like plurals and some other words - Allows, remembers, contains, including, appears, asks, adjusting to name a few come up underlined in red since I updated to version 15.1 this morning. I am working on a proofed document and so I now the spelling were right yesterday. I have attached a screenshot to show what I mean.
    Very frustrating as being dyslexic I rely heavily on the spell checking function.

Also can we also have back the auto corrections for grammar errors - ie missing caps etc, you used to right…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign v15.1 slow to open and poor performance generally

Another decrease in performance between v15.0 (whcih was already very slow compared to v14) and v15.1 on Windows 10 x64 with a very high-spec workstation.

Particularly frustrating is when you click on the icon in the taskbar to launch the app it appears as though nothing has happened and takes 30 seconds or so before the splash screen appears and the app appears to have launched. By which time you usually tried launching it again a few times!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Tab indent of RTL Numbered List does not line up

See two screenshots attached, both are using the exact same settings, (Default, just changed to Hebrew numbering)
    in InDesign 2019 (14.0.3) Everything is nicely aligned, vs in InDesign 2020 (15.0) it's jagged, and I'm not able to align it in any way (Tabs, Indenting, etc.).
    I'm using InDesign 2020 תומך עיברית, on Windows 10

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Live Preflight reporting a false error with OpenType Type 1 fonts

InDesign's Live Preflight will wrongly flag an OpenType Type 1 (PostScript flavored) font as invalid when the font appears in a linked graphic.

To recreate:
    1. Create an InDesign Preflight Profile
    2. Set it to flag Type 1 fonts as Font Type Not allowed.
    3. Create a new InDesign document.
    4. Add text using an OpenType Type 1 font.
    5. Turn on the preflight.
    The preflight will not signal an error. This is expected and correct.
    6. Now export a PDF of the document created.
    7. Create a new InDesign document.
    8. Place the PDF as a linked graphic into…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Update to the latest version not possible

After reinstalling Adobe Creative Cloud and Adobe InDesign CC 2018 (version 13.1) on a new Windows computer, it is not possible to update to the latest version 13.1.1.
    Even with a new installation of Adobe InDesign, version 13.0, no update is offered.
    All update installers should be available for all authorized versions * of the Creative Cloud.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Style Override Highlighter not highlighted when in use

When I make some style changes in my text, the "Style Override Highlighter" marks theses changes. Great feature, no problem at all.

But when I 1) quit InDesign and 2) start it again, the changed text is highlighted but the "Style Override Highlighter" icon [+a] is highlighted not at all.

Solution shortcurt: Click on [+a] in character style panel, then on [+a] in paragraph style panel and it should behave the way it should. But it would be better if it'd be working the way it should.

German InDesign 2020, Mac OSX 10.14.16

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. IDML: missing Font Style property in Character Style after export

Version: InDesign CC 2020 15.0.1

How to reproduce the bug:
    1. Create a Character Style with "Bold" Font Style and apply it to a word/character range
    2. Save in INDD file format
    3. Export the IDML
    4. Open the IDML and you will notice that the bold property for the Character Style was lost

Expected result: the Character Style should be the same as in the original INDD file

Actual result: the "bold" property was lost during the export process. The INDD file is fine.

I verified that InDesign CC 2019 14.0.3 is not affected by this bug.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Unable to Save Document

Indesign 15.1
    Opened file I have worked on before. Added some text. Went to 'undo' an action and couldn't with key command or 'Edit>Undo'.
    Then thought I would try and close out of Indesign and restart to see if that helped. Tried to save file. Could not save file with key command or 'File>Save'.
    Options—Save, Save As, CheckIn, Save A Copy, and Revert—are all grayed out and unusable, as well as many options under the Edit menu as well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. placing text at cursor jumps in rtl in InDesign 15.1.1.103

When placing a story at cursor using a right-to-left story frame, the cursor is in the wrong place.

This has also been filed as Bug ID-4219127

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. ScriptUI: Opening Dialog while dialog is open breaks InDesign

I'm running InDesign 14.0.2 on a macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

In a script i created I have a Dialog. It has a button that opens another dialog.

Before my last indesign-update (CC 14.0.2) the second dialog would open and when i closed it, i could use the previous dialog window again.

Now with the Update when I open the second dialog and close it again, i cant use (or close) the previous dialog and it blocks me from using InDesign. I can move the dialogwindow around but thats it so i have to restart indesign.

I tested this on two…

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

15. Cells formatted as Number/Currency etc. in Excel without decimal places or as Date not imported correctly into InDesign.

InDesign CC : 2020 / 15.0.0.155
    MacOS : 10.13.6
    MS Excel : 16.30 for Mac

We were able since ever (last version ID CC 2019) to import Excel data-cells by InDesign with the placing functionality. With the actual version of InDesign CC 2020 numbers without any decimal places (e.g. 153) are not imported from Excel files and are displayed in InDesign with a "0" - (e.g. 153 imports to InDesign as 0). If the numbers in the Excel files have at least 1 decimal place numbers are imported correctly (e.g. 153.6 imports to InDesign as 153.6). Please fix this InDesign…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Crash Adobe InDesign CC v15.02-v15.1

It freezes when openning the program (Starting up Service Registry...) Adobe InDesign CC v15.02-15.1 (Installed Language: English International)

(But Adobe Creative Cloud for Teams: Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge and Acrobat DC are fine.)

My Computer:

PC Dell Inspiron 5680
    Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz.
    HDD: 256GB SSD
    RAM: 16GB
    Display card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070
    Display resolution: 1920x1080 Refresh rate: 60Hz.
    Monitor: Dell S2718H/HX

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.1.1(v15.1.1.103) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Share for review

During this pandemic, I'm am trying to use the 'share for review' feature for a book I'm laying out. It is 600 pages, 300 spreads, about 333 MB file. It includes images and text.
    I've designed other books -- the printer had no problem with the files
    I'm using a Mac with InDesign 15.1.
    When I tried to share the file, 4 pages - 2 spreads uploaded. I tried again and 8 pages - 4 spread, appeared for sharing. I didn't choose them, it is what InDesign randomly chose.
    As an experiment, I created another file and tried to upload…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

FIXED  ·  2 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Disappointed with Adobe

For me the last 2-3 InDesign updates have been just misery; I cannot work without the spinning wheel showing for every little change I do, so I have had to work on an older version. I was hoping the last update (15.1) would fix this, but no; I had to install an older version again. When will you fix this lagging problem which has been present in every update the last 1-2 years?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Kerning (spacing) issue with small caps active

There's an annoying issue with kerning (or in general with characters spacing) on characters without small caps when small caps is active on preceding characters.
    This appens randomly on a full text document but seems always with text imported from Word.
    The strange thing is that if I deactivate small caps from only a white space before the badly spaced text, the problem disappear. Likewise if I deactivate small caps from preceding word but keep it in the white space before the badly spaced text, the problem disappear again. However if I deactivate small caps from preceding text, keeping it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Spinning wheel keeps running make program not responding

When starting up InDesign 2020 (15.0.3) it runs a ok for a couple of minutes, then the spinning wheel comes on/off randomly. When on its impossible to use the program.
    Its the program CEP Html Engine causing the problem. A lot of instances is started up (se attached image). Tried to debug the problem and found that its the file cef.pak (in CEP Program folder) that’s the problem. When removing this, everything is fine except that the startup popup is missing.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base