Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Mongolian

Issue: InDesign does not support Mongolian vertical text direction from left-to-right.

Version: InDesign 2019, 14.0.2 x64

Steps:
    1. Place or paste Mongolian text into an InDesign text frame by using the attached Word document
    2. Skew the text frame 90 degrees (as done with vertical Chinese and Japanese).

Expected result: Please see the attached Word document and screenshot.

Actual result: Notice that the vertical text direction is right-to-left and not left-to-right. Even if the text frame is skewed in the opposite direction (minus 90 degrees) the text is just mirrored and thus not readable.

Test files and screenshot: They are…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Indesign performance issue : CC 2019 uses all the system memory on Mojave

So basically i cant't use InDesign since updating to the new version. Even if it's idle without anything open, it starts to use up all the system memory in macOs Mojave.

This is what happens:
    1. Open InDesign
    2. Doesn't matter if im working or it's just open
    3. After about 5 minutes, there's a system alert of Mojave saying, InDesign is using 550 GB of system memory and there's nothing left to work with.

System:
    iMac Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14)
    3 GHz Intel Xeon W (10 cores)
    64 GB RAM
    Radeon Pro Vega 64

It's a new iMac with…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. GREP, odd behaviour in InDesign v. 14.0.2

Search and replace with GREP in InDesign version 14.0.2 behaves oddly.

This simple GREP used to work fine:
    (?<=\s)([\u\s\,]+)$

It matches upper case letters, commas and space between them at the end of a paragraph. But now it only matches some of them.

Really strange.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Interactive PDF go to destination not working

Using InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1

I have a 24 page report designed for print, with an additional layer which when visible adds interactive buttons to the top left corner of each page so I can also export an interactive PDF. The buttons are:

Go to previous page
    Go to next page
    Go to destination linking to the contents page

The document also contains URL hyperlinks and the contents links to each section of the report using bookmarks, but is not set up as a TOC. I'm not using any functions under the SWF/EPUB only section.

When exported as an interactive…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Indesign performance issue : slow opening, saving, exporting files

InDesign taking up to 5 minutes to open a file. The file is a one-page document. Two minutes of nothing, then 2 minutes of a blue status bar, then another minute watching the tiny status bar on the application icon in the doc. Once the file is "open" it isn't visible until I toggle back and forth between InDesign and another application. Saving, even after changing only one text character, takes 55 seconds. Exporting a 30 page document to PDF took 20 minutes.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

6. Indesign causes screen to enter a strobe flicker effect and no choice but to shut down

Sometimes when I drag a text box to a different position the screen starts to flicker then goes crazy - like a strobe effect. It's applied to all software that's open and there is no choice but to have a frenzied time trying to shut down applications and saving work before the screen either goes completely blank or white. There is no choice but to restrt the imac.

It happened around 5 times in the space of an hour and then won't happen for weeks.

iMac - Intel Core i7 - 4 GHz - Memory 32 GB - AMD Radeon…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Data Merge won't include emoji unicode characters

I've created a test file with links and images and test text to try and replicate the fault. Follow the steps in the InDesign file attached.

Put simply, text – whether it is UTF-8 or UTF-16 can import unicode characters that are meant to represent emojis etc, and this is demonstrated in the test file. While not in the minion character set, I've created a GREP style that looks for unicode characters and changes them to apple color emoji. That bit works.
    What does NOT work is when importing the text as part of a data merge... instead the unicode…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign, latest version. GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Please can you confirm if this GREP query works for small text ranges? (for example text selection containing around 10K characters)
    For me, the query works for just in a document containing one (.) followed by one endnote marker

If it works for you as well on small documents, your issue may be same as https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37286893-cc-14-0-2-grep-search-not-working

-Adobe InDesign Team

9. Creating a catalogue with a large table FREEZING in indesign CC 2019

We've been making a large catalogue pricelist for over 13 years using indesign.

We're now stuck on the 2017 (12.1.0) version.
    We want to update it, but in the latest version, importing our pricelist from excel into a table, slows the whole thing down to an unworkable speed.

info:
    the table is around 13000 rows by 10 columns. so not small.
    it does import in the 2017 version. slow to import in both, but can use and work on after import in 2017 version.
    2019, freezes when scroll used, and take 1-3 mins to unfreeze. Scroll again or do anything…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign performance is ****

The actual performance of InDesign is, speaking gently, ****. I really don't know how you can release such a buggy version. I'm doing nothing on my machine except writing this text and InDesign is using more than 500 % of my CPU and the fan of my graphic card is going nuts!

Calling the actual version "production ready" is a joke. I am really disappointed about Adobe. The only program actually which is really good and performing is XD.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. InDesign 14.0.2 constant spinning beachball - especially on text related commands

Working in InDesign 14.0.2 on High Sierra, (single computer home network) the programme is exceptionally slow - taking about 10 seconds (of beachballing) to select a line of copy. Clicking between objects takes 5-10 seconds also. This is happening on my Mac Book Pro and iMac, both running High Sierra - all other programmes are working normally. I have tried trashing my preferences and uninstalling etc, but nothing has improved the lagging issue. I have had to revert to the 2018 version to get my work done.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Export jpg

Hi!
    When I create banners in Indesign 14.0.1 I use hires images as TIF and exporting it to JPG. The final files in JPG end up with corrupt pixels. I have to place a lowres JPG in Indesign to be able to export it as a correct JPG.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  PNG/JPEG/EPS Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. BUG Keypress doesn´t respond

With updating to 13.1 March 2018 Update: When you type to a text frame you have to do it twice before the character appears in the frame. I have this problem on two Windows 10 machines...

97 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

95 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

14. InDesign crashes on launch in "PlugPlugOwl.dll"

InDesign 2019 doesn't open after the first loading box on startup. I downloaded 2018, 2017 and 2015. 2015 is the only one that works at the moment but the others have the same issue.
    My computers processor is Intel Pentium 1.5 GHz
    I've attached the crash report.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Edit: This thread addresses the specific case of crash on launch due to issues with PlugPlugOwl.dll.
    If you are facing crash on launch please reach out to us on sharewithid@adobe.com
    Closing this thread.

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

15. Sencoten

InDesign CC 14.0.3

I work in the health sector of the Pacific North West. We are incorporating Indigenous languages in our communications both in print and online in an effort to be inclusive and represent our diversity.

Recently, I have been unable to use any Indigenous keyboard symbols with InDesign (and I assume other CC products) - though I can use it in this forum and in other software. Examples are Ȼ and Ŧ. I've attached a screen grab showing the language keyboards installed on my MacBook Pro and a result. As a reference, this site provides Indigenous language keyboards…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

17. Footnote marker is replaced with an unknown character if preceded by a character with a specific Unicode pattern

Footnote marker is replaced with an unknown character if preceded by a character with a specific Unicode pattern. Unicode pattern is U+##1a. Here are some of those characters:

U+011a
    U+021a
    U+031a
    U+041a
    U+051a
    U+061a
    U+071a
    U+081a

You could try the attached test file for placement in to an InDesign document. Unicode of the character following the footnote marker is : U+011a

This happen when file format of the file is either RTF or DOC. Its not a issue with DOCX.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. TOC is insanly hard to figure out.

TOCs in inDesign is the most confusing piece of software I have ever whitnessed. Nothing makes sense. I change the little drop downs in the TOC popup. Click DONE. Close it open it back up nothing is changed. I cannot figure out how to do anything in there at all. And I have googled and watched videos about it for last 2 years of my life. Still have to create TOCs manually. Just a horrible horrible piece of software UX wise. This needs to be fixed. You guys need to take TOC creation and rethink it completely from group up.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Generic check mark reappears in PDF check box after exporting to Acrobat Pro

InDesign 14.0.2 and Acrobat Continuous 2019.10.20099

This issue is about the behavior and appearance of interactive check boxes in documents that have been exported to Interactive PDFs.

There is a difference in the way that check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear versus those created in Acrobat Pro. The Acrobat Pro Forms preferences are involved in this difference.

When, in Acrobat Pro Forms Preferences, under Highlight Color, the “Show border hover color for fields” option is selected, check boxes created in InDesign behave and appear in the following manner.

When a check box is made active, it first appears…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Pages Panel shows scroll bar starting at wrong page

This only happens on startup of InDesign.

I open a document that has many pages from 2 -120.

The Pages panel has the scroll bars positioned at the top, next to pages 26-27.

If the scroll bars are at the top of the document, then pages 2-3 should be showing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base