Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. missing fonts that are installed on my machine

Keep getting error that fonts are missing even thought fonts are installed and available/activated. When i select the correct font and select change all, nothing seems to happen.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Problem with changing the cursor to text

Hello. After running the latest version of InDesign CC 2019 v. 14.0, I have a problem with changing the cursor to text. It takes about 50 seconds. This happens each time you launch InDesign.

158 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

168 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

3. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

Hey,

since ID 2020 on OS X Catalina, I’ve a problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper.
    After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. I’ve to kick the process stop it. First, I thought its Photoshop, because I read it on google, but when I analyzing the process in the activity window, it shows, that this is caused of InDesign.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Variable Font not working in InDesign 2020

We came along a severe bug within InDesign 2020 and Variable Font.

These Blog Posts are describing it quite well:

https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fonts-indesign-2020-bug/13051

and:
    https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fontz-in-indesign/13032

Illustrator and Photoshop do not have this bug.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. skew in character style for numbered list - does not skew

1. Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64

2. Create a character style with skew i.e 10%. Create a paragraph style with a numbered list. Apply the character style to the numbered list.

3. skewed numbers

4. does not skew

5. -

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Endnote references are not importing when placing word documents

I am placing a word 365 document into InDesign 2020 with endnotes ticked to be included and the endnote references are not importing. In the past the endnote references will display in-text and a full endnote reference list will display on the last page in one text box. I have tried using 2018/2019 with the same result. This appears to be a new bug. I have attached screenshots of the Word document with endnotes displayed and the InDesign document after placing the same word document which shows the endnotes have not been imported. Also an anchored text box is also…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Objects on the page jump if a left-hand page becomes a right-hand page and vice versa

Hi developers,
    this is a longstanding bug:

With facing pages documents on EVERY document page there is a zone where jumping of objects will happen.

I call this the jump zone. All objects on a page that will jump are clearly inside the page's area. The bug has nothing to do with rounding errors where object edges are at the edge of a page.

The objects should not move if pages are added or removed, if numbering of pages is changing. Nevertheless they do. Always. Unless, the zone has a width of zero.

Below all the details.

What is a…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign 2020 (v15.0) everything slow compared to 2019 (v14.0.3)

Since upgarding to InDesign 2020 performance has slowed considerably. Selecting a frame takes ages, clicking the cursor in a different part of a text frame takes ages for the cursor to appear etc. Almost every action has a 2 or 3 second delay; whereas it would fly along on v14.

I have 20-core Xeon PC with 64 GB RAM and Nvidia Quadro K5000 graphics; so no slouch!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Media panel gone HUGE

So, after running in a while on the new Adobe 2020 app, I noticed that the Media panel started to grow in size each time I opened the tab. Before I could notice, the Media panel was absolutely huge.

I tried to:

• Reset the workplace

• Reset the UI scalling

• Uninstall and Install again InDesign 2020 (While removing UI Preferences)

• Restart PC

Nothing has worked.

The only solution that seems to work as of right now is to downgrade to 2019.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Needing a smaller swatches panel (minimum 1 line, not 2 lines)

Context : On most of my documents, with few but very distinct colors, I'll often switch to "big thumbnails". It's easy to distinguish a color from a lighter or darker version.

But then, when the panel could displays two lines of swatches, I would only need one (see linked file), freeing a lot of screen space.

Except the minimum size of that panel doesn't go under 2 lines, when 1 would be enough.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please change one word in the German Indesign

The German Word "Abstände" is used two times in the paragraph style panel but with two completely different meanings.

First use "Einzüge und Abstände" is in English "Indents and Spacing".

Second use "Abstände" is in English "Justification".

Please change the second one to "Blocksatz" or "Blocksatzeinstellungen" so that the German users will not be confused anymore.

Or contact a German speaking InDesign pro user for a better translation.

Just a small change to make a lot of (German speaking) people happy!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

12. In Japanese version, "Column" is incorrectly translated as "列" instead of "段"

InDesign 15.0.1
    There are at least eight places where "Column" should be translated as "段" in the Japanese version, but "列".
    Please see the list on the next page along with the Japanese version of the screen capture.
    https://cs5.xyz/blog/2020/02/indesigntextcolumn.html

日本語版で"Column"を"段"と訳すべきところ、"列"と訳されているところが少なくとも8箇所あります。
    次のページに日本語版の画面キャプチャとともにリストアップしましたので見てください。
    https://cs5.xyz/blog/2020/02/indesigntextcolumn.html

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. A splitted footnote with three lines violates keep options and makes a widow instead of an orphan

1. Version of Adobe InDesign
      This issue appears in every InDesign versions since footnotes are supported.
      Bug reports / feature requests (from CS3 up to CS6) have been ignored in the past.

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      given:
      a) a footnote with three text lines
      b) splitting footnotes allowed in the footnote options
      c) keep options: at start/end of Paragraph 2/2 (2 lines at start, 2 lines at end)

Play with the textframes hight so that the footnote is forced to be splitted. It will only split 2/1, not 1/2.

1. Actual result
      The footnots splits with 2 lines in the textframe…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. When applying underline feature to TateChuYoko, the underline doesn't show

When applying underline feature to TateChuYoko characters, the underline doesn't show. It means, the underline feature is set correctly, but it does not appear against TateChuYoko characters. We’ve struggled to this bug for a long time. As workaround, we have to create Anchor objects for TateChuYoko characters, or to put stroke lines instead of underline. These workarounds waste a lot of time. Please fix this ASAP.ASAP.

[Japanese]
    縦中横に下線機能を適用しても、下線が表示されないバグ

縦中横の文字に、下線機能を適用しても、下線が表示されないバグがあります。私たちは長い期間、このバグに悩まされています。仕方なく別テキストフレームで対応したり、別の罫線で対応するなど、時間のかかる無駄な作業をしなくてはなりません。このバグには、私たち多くのユーザーがとても困っていますので、早く修正をしてください。

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

15. Variable Fonts stem weight issue, even when Create Outlines is used

When using a variable font in InDesign, some glyphs collapse even when I use Type > Create Outlines, so it's not just a display issue. The same glyph in the same named instance displays correctly in browsers, Chrome and Safari, and other apps that support variable fonts, like FontView. (screenshots are attached)

Please fix this so that variable fonts display the same in InDesign as they do in other applications, thank you!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Reveal in Finder on NAS Server not working

When using InDesign 14.0.3, on mac OS X Catalina (10.15.1), ctrl clicking the .indd file's title bar to reveal in finder doesn't work (switches to finder but doesn't reveal) if the .indd file is stored on NAS RAID server. Server connection is afp://
    Revel in Finder command works fine if the .indd file is stored locally.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Proportional Scaling, Duplicating, Moving objects aligned doesn't work anymore!

I updated to Indesign 2020 … now: Proportional Scaling Using Shift+Mouse does not work. Duplicating using Alt+Shift+Mouse does not work. Moving objects in same Line using Shift+Mouse does not work.

These are critical features – why won't they work anymore?
    Even in Indesign 2019 they don't work anymore since the update …

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

122 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Following up on the comments stating that the issue is yet not fixed, we did our investigation and found that, the issues being called out in the comment section, though maybe relevant but are different than the one for which this thread was originally created.

This particular thread caters to a very specific case which has been fixed in the last update of InDesign.

If you continue to face performance related issues with InDesign, we sincerely request you to create a separate thread so that we can categorize the performance related issues and address them completely.
    In addition to track the performance issues effectively, it will also enable us to reach out to you in a organised manner when we investigate into each category of performance issues.

We are extremely sorry for the troubles you are facing with InDesign and we are determined to resolve them as efficiently…

19. installed 2020 and uninstalled 2019, no files not associating with the app

After installing 2020 to edit files created in the latest version, all .indd files are not associated with Indesign at all. When I try to update default settings to associate .indd files with InDesign, the file type .indd is not listed.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Indents Break Burmese Type

Applying an indent to Burmese type in InDesign makes the text render incorrectly. Please see the example in the attached file.

InDesign 15.0.1 x64

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base