Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Variable Fonts stem weight issue, even when Create Outlines is used

When using a variable font in InDesign, some glyphs collapse even when I use Type > Create Outlines, so it's not just a display issue. The same glyph in the same named instance displays correctly in browsers, Chrome and Safari, and other apps that support variable fonts, like FontView. (screenshots are attached)

Please fix this so that variable fonts display the same in InDesign as they do in other applications, thank you!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. avenir font glitch, HELP

Recently did Indesign update, now my Avenir font glitches across all of my documents and comes up as gibberish. Sometimes if I close Indesign and reopen it will view fine, other times it will not. Typically it will not view correctly. This is a basic system font. I cleared all fonts on my system and did a restart incase an installed font was causing the issue, it was not the issue. My co-worker is having the same issue as well on her end.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Data Merge not populating correctly when placeholder curse overflow

When using Data-Merge with an .txt/.csv and using export as pdf, indesign (still) merge the fields wrong (only use the first data-entry), if the placeholder and not the data curse an frame-overflow.

Detailed description:
    You have a textframe with enough space to place the string "888", but not enough space to place "8888".
    You have a .csv table with a colum named "number" and values from "1" to "999".
    You select the file with data-merge and get a placeholder "<<number>>" and replace the "888" with it. Now you got a frame overflow.
    You select preview, and all values (1 -…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Data Merge function "Honor existing frame fitting option" is not working on master pages

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server

Adobe InDesign 15.0.1

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

iMac 27 Zoll End 2012

Steps to reproduce the issues
    See also attached video

Open the file > 01ExposeTEMPXMLStart.indd
    Generate a merged document by clicking the button
    Choose "Honor existing frame fitting" in Content Placement Options
    Click [OK]
    Jump to page 1 in the merged document
    The pictures are placed without honoring the existing frame fitting options from the object style
    This only happens with frames that are placed on a master page. The same frame on a document page works…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Reveal in Finder on NAS Server not working

When using InDesign 14.0.3, on mac OS X Catalina (10.15.1), ctrl clicking the .indd file's title bar to reveal in finder doesn't work (switches to finder but doesn't reveal) if the .indd file is stored on NAS RAID server. Server connection is afp://
    Revel in Finder command works fine if the .indd file is stored locally.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Variable font doesn't...vary.

I just installed the new Macklin variable fonts from Monotype. They work as expected in Illustrator, and the "regular" cut works as expected in InDesign. However, the Macklin Sans font dosen't work well in InDesign: the prebuilt weights are functional, but when one varies the axis sliders, they seem to have no effect. Bug in the font or in InDesign?

InDesign 15.0.2, Mac OS 10.15.4

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Indents Break Burmese Type

Applying an indent to Burmese type in InDesign makes the text render incorrectly. Please see the example in the attached file.

InDesign 15.0.1 x64

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ALT Text not appearing in group

InDesign 2020

Issue: I have a screenshot with alt text included (typed in the Object Export Options dialogue). I then have a simple red box (rectangle tool, no fill, 2pt stroke) highlighting a section of that screenshot. When I group those objects, and export a tagged PDF, I get an error in Acrobat stating that no alt text exists.

Expected result: Alt text should appear.

Actual result: No alt text is present, or the assigned alt text is not recognized and is flagged by Acrobat's accessibility checker.

This issue did not exist with ID 2019.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Adobe 2020 Crashes with copy & paste

Whenever I try to copy/paste small elements from adobe illustrator onto Adobe InDesign, indesign will automatically quit. If I try to recover the file after it has crashed, it crashes again...

What is happening here? This is an ongoing issue since the update.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign and Acrobat accessibility conflict

Adobe InDesign version: 2019 CC

We are currently trying to establish the best workflow in creating fully accessible PDF's for screen readers and I believe we have come across a bug in the communication between InDesign and Acrobat.

Quick summary:

H1 elements on multiple lines read as separate elements unless assigned manually in Acrobat
    The Structure and Article order does not transfer to the PDF

To explain the issue clearly I have numbered the images in the process order.

1. Image: 1 InDesign Accessibility setup.png

2. I have setup ‘paragraph styles’ and used the correct ‘Export Tagging’ tags for each style.

3. I…
    5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Proportional Scaling, Duplicating, Moving objects aligned doesn't work anymore!

I updated to Indesign 2020 … now: Proportional Scaling Using Shift+Mouse does not work. Duplicating using Alt+Shift+Mouse does not work. Moving objects in same Line using Shift+Mouse does not work.

These are critical features – why won't they work anymore?
    Even in Indesign 2019 they don't work anymore since the update …

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Packaging files creates un-deletable folders

Packaging a file for print keeps creating a phantom folder that reappears and can't be deleted.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

122 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Following up on the comments stating that the issue is yet not fixed, we did our investigation and found that, the issues being called out in the comment section, though maybe relevant but are different than the one for which this thread was originally created.

This particular thread caters to a very specific case which has been fixed in the last update of InDesign.

If you continue to face performance related issues with InDesign, we sincerely request you to create a separate thread so that we can categorize the performance related issues and address them completely.
    In addition to track the performance issues effectively, it will also enable us to reach out to you in a organised manner when we investigate into each category of performance issues.

We are extremely sorry for the troubles you are facing with InDesign and we are determined to resolve them as efficiently…

14. Publish Online service not working?

Have had this service for a while now. Cant publish online and all links to my files say they dont exist.

Any ideas?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. installed 2020 and uninstalled 2019, no files not associating with the app

After installing 2020 to edit files created in the latest version, all .indd files are not associated with Indesign at all. When I try to update default settings to associate .indd files with InDesign, the file type .indd is not listed.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. InDesign 2020 v 15.0.1, Mac OS Catalina, indd/idml legacy layouts within packaged folders, images disappear

InDesign 2020 v 15.0.1, Mac OS Catalina. When opening legacy versions of indd or idml documents within packaged folders, images flash/display briefly, then most if not all, disappear. The only solution seems t be to re-link each graphic individually.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. InDesign 2020 Middle Eastern, Arabic language causes reversed numbers order

When working with Arabic and wanting to have Roman Digits, one needs to choose the "Arabic" digits option.
    More option that should be set for Arabic are:
    Character direction should be set to "default"
    Paragraph direction should be set to "Right to Left"
    Paragraph composer should be set to "Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer"
    Language should be set to "Arabic"
    Ligatures should be "On"

BUT
    If I type a date that suppose to be presented like this:
    9/1/2020
    as soon as selecting "Arabic" for language the order is reversed to this:
    2020/1/9

As digits has a built in Left to Right…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. eyedropper options

I'm using InDesign 2020 and lately when I (accidentally) double click the eyedropper tool in the toolbar, it opens the Eyedropper Options window. There's an "OK" and "Cancel" button. When I click on either I can't close the window. It stays in the foreground in all applications. I can move it around, but not close it. The only way I've been able to get rid of the window is to force quit InDesign.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. experiencing bug when sending project from Adobe Comp CC to Indesign CC

I get a dialouge box in Indesign CC when eksportering/transferring project from Adobe Comp cc on my mobile device to laptop with InDesign CC.

It says - losely translated from danish:
    "The file "filename.idml" can not be opened. Adobe Indesign doesn't support this file format. You might be missing an extra module that supports this format or the file is possibly open in another program.

See attached screenshot.

How do I solve this? It works when sending to photoshop and illustrator. Used to work with InDesign too.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Indesign Hangs when I try to do anything with two files open

Hi, my company is currently using InDesign CC 2020 v 15.0.3 on Windows 10 Enterprise V1909, and we are all experiencing this same problem; whenever I have two or more files opened, every single action I make, be it highlight text or trying to scroll in the file I will encounter a spinning blue ball and immense lag. This happens with every action I make. It was also a constant problem with 15.0.2, but not with 15.0.1. Is there a solution to this problem or a way to pinpoint this problem? Or is the only solution to downgrade and continue…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base