Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. hyperlink is present for imported document outside of visible cropped area

I have 1 document (doc1) placed into another (doc2). In doc2, doc1 is cropped to not include a footer, which happens to have text in the form of URL, but not explicitly set as a hyperlink in the document. When a PDF of doc2 is exported, a hyperlink is created on the page where the URL would be if it were visible. The link is in the table at the end of the Jordan row over 0.086.

Files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s88rtkmh5hz525e/Archive.zip?dl=0

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Shortcuts CMD + N / O not working

After installing the latest Patch for Script UI fixing for 14.0.2 (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/Script-UI-dialog-issue.html) the shortcuts Cmd + N (New document) & CMD + O (Open document) [may be some more] are not working anymore on my machine, most time (sometimes works, i don't know why)

Running on macOS 10.12.6.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Master page image appear in wrong page in page layout 32(page number) indesign CC 2017.0

1 . Indesign Version CC 2017.0
    2. Master page image appear wrongly in page 32. If we go to CO master page and change the position of the image on the master page, the image on 32 will get disappear. But if open same file CC 2017.1 we don't have that image.
    3. In page 32 master page image was appear wrongly, Actually that image was not to come there.

4. In page 32 only text has to be there.

5. I attached indesign file and link and also the video showing the issue in the below link
    https://we.tl/t-OvxpJfK5RM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Open hyperlinks in new tab

You could update the software with the function to open hyperlinks in new tab within PDFs and other formats. This is very necessary.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Cannot "place" MathType eps file correctly into InDesign - InvalidFont error

InDesign CC 13.1

Steps to Reproduce

1.In a ID document, use File > Place
    2.Select the attached eps file, which is an eps file created by MathType
    3.Place the eps file

Expected Result: The eps to place the image correctly

Actual Result: Before the eps is placed, the error is seen: "InvalidFont error occurred creating the screen display for the imported EPS. The EPS will draw as a gray box. The actual EPS may not print and will not export as PDF. Do you still want to place this file? Yes/No?

Clicking Yes results in only a gray box.

*Cannot…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Animation preview window does not resize in Windows

The animation window does not maximise or even resize in Windows. The issue doesn't seem to be in Mac devices

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. If I have no document open command + N does not work. If I have a document open then command + N does work. I go to new document via the dro

If I have no document open command + N does not work. If I have a document open then command + N does work. I go to new document via the drop down menu it still shows command + N as a shortcut for new document it also shows that is still being the shortcut when I go to preferences and lookup shortcuts. “Show Start Workspace When No Documents Are Open” Is already turned off. This problem is intermittent.
    Cc 2019, Mac OS 10.13.6

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking and "Auto-fit" options do not seem to work.

I am using Indesign 14.0

When I relink files, Indesign changes the scale and placement of images automatically, regardless of whether the preserve image dimensions option in the file handling box is checked or unchecked, and whether the "auto-fit" button in the tool menu is checked or uncheked.

Preferences > File Handling > "Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Distorted Text and Graphics in high sierra

When opening a previously created file, I noticed small visual artifacts in the rendering of vector graphics in the file. As I zoomed in to inspect it, the artifacts began jumping all over the place, and as I zoomed in further, text on the page began presenting the same behavior.

Using InDesign 2017.1, Build 12.1.0.56 on a 2016 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM), running macOS High Sierra 10.13.

191 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

200 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Closed: Fixed  ·  Sumit Garg responded

This is a macOS10.13 issue, specific for some Intel GPU cards. Apple has fixed(partially) this issue inside macOS10.13.4 released build.

Following are the workaround for resolving this issue.
    1) Update your mac machine to latest macOS10.13.4. Here, Apple has fixed this issue to some extent. You will face very less number of rendering issues.
    2) Disable GPU preview and set display performance as typical.

Once you have updated to macOS10.13.4 .You might still face some rendering issues. Since, Apple has not fixed this issue completely.
    Please switch off GPU rendering for these cases and report a separate post for tracking.

12. IDML save changes Object Styles/Transparency Settings

When I export a package the resulting IDML and INDD files are different.

In all cases, the IDML file appears to randomly assign different transparency settings to random objects across any number of pages. One Object Style was changed to 60% opacity when it should have remained at 100%. In another a drop shadow was applied at 75% and Opacity was set to 60% for the image inside a graphic box, when neither effect had been turned on for the content of the box object.

It has taken me awhile to track down. My partner was opening idml versions of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Can't accept "highlighted" text (with replacement text) using Import PDF Comments

For years I have taught my clients to not use insert or strike through, simply because they are hard to see and click on, especially on a laptop. I much prefer the old school way, highlighted text, with an attached replacement text. Now with Import PDF comments, I see them but can't accept them. Can you make that work?
    INDD 14.0.2, MacOS 10.14.5, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Strange First Line Indent bug in Indesign CC 2017

We have faced the series First Line Indent issue in the InDesign version (CC2017-2019). The first line indent is not working if we have the span column text in the InDesign file. It will get the indentation after made any changes in the paragraph. Here the example InDesign file for your checking.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. file icon disappears upon update, association remains

Windows file icons disappear after update (14.0.2 x64) resulting in blank white icons, but files are still associated with InDesign.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Conditional text is not applied correctly after line break in IDMLs

If Unconditional text follows a line break where another Paragraph Style is applied with Conditional text, making an IDML out of the document will change the Unconditional text to Conditional.

Please see example screenshots.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Clicking document-installed font from font list gives error to "activate font" and doesn't change font.

InDesign 14.0 on Windows 10 x64

I just upgraded to InDesign 14.0, and there appears to be a bug when clicking a document-installed font from the font list. The font list gives an error message to "Click 'Activate' button to activate fonts" and the text frame keeps the existing font, instead of changing to the new font.

Expected result:
    The expected result would be the same behavior as InDesign 13.1, where you could click a document-installed font from the font list, and the text frame would update to the newly selected font.

Actual result:
    In InDesign 14.0, clicking a document-installed…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

19. Multi-state objects and animated elements not working on State 1

InDesign CC 2019 14.0:

I have a 4 state multi-state object. Each state has a full-screen image with a text title and description which animates in (Fly-in from top) for each state upon load. Left/Right buttons control the interactivity.

However, when I add an animation to the text title/description in State-1 it causes the full-screen image to not load and the test/description text doesn't appear either. (Tested in Indesign in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and on iPad/iBooks)

When testing it in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and I go to State-2 using the buttons and then return to State-1…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please bring back the Layout Adjustment!!!

I'm a typesetter that misses this feature to adjust the sink on Chapter Openers. It is the main reason why I do not use CC19.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base