Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PDF-export: Small images (icons) seem corrupt on right side when compression is on

Indesign: 14.0.2. x64
    Acrobat: 2019.010.20100
    Win 10 pro x64, 1809 up to date
    -
    So small images look strange and you can see they appear corrupt on the right side. In the last 15 years I have never experienced an issue like this so I would like to know if this is an ordinary behaviour which I ran into by chance or bad luck.

The used image is a scaled down image of a rather small photoshop-file.

At first I thought my guides might cut the images, but they don´t. I worked on the .PSD file, I increased the size…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Type Tool Flicker

Specs:

InDesign CC2018 (13.1)

Mac Pro Late 2013

Mac OS Mojave (10.14.3)

64 GB RAM

AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB

Any document when first opened will blink the document window (not the entire screen - just the document) when clicking into a frame with the Type tool.

It occurs one time only then the remainder of work on that document is fine.

Open another document, issue reoccurs.

Double-clicking a text frame with the Selection tool will not blink and take you into the text frame without issue.

I've reset ID Prefs, removed all third party plugins and zapped my PRAM…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Right Arrow / Left Arrow in tables

InDesign version 14.0.

The keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Right Arrow" to move one word to the right does not work when the text cursor is in a table. Same for "Ctrl+Left Arrow", to move one word to the left.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Tabs in Arabic text move weight declaration to the wrong place

When placing an Arabic weight statement (e.g. "13g") followed by a tab and a percentage (e.g. "19%"), the weight declaration ("g" or "mg") moves to the percentage when exporting to pdf. Only when setting PDFX/1a:2001 is selected the output is correct. But this setting removes all layers and flattens transparencies so it's not very useful.
    A workaround is to place a space after the tab (so on the left side since this is a right to left language).
    See screen shot in attachment. On top = InDesign file, bottom = pdf created from this file using PDFX/4. The top line…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Index sorting does not care about language setting

1. InDesign 14.0.1 x64
    2. Create a document.

Add an index reference for the word "Skrå".
    Add an index reference for the word "Skrivare".
    Add an index reference for the word "Överleva".
    Add an index reference for the word "Ondska".

Go to index Sort Settings. Select Header Type Finnish/Swedish for the Roman script.

Generate an index.

Observe:
    Ondska is placed under O.
    Överleva is placed under Ö. Which is at the end of the alphabet. This is as it should be, here in Sweden-land.

However:
    Skrivare is placed below Skrå. Despite å being placed last in the swedish alphabet. We…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign 14.0.1 is crashing hourly

For three days my InDesign 14.0.1 has been crashing almost exactly hourly. It just freezes and I get the spinning beachball. Only recourse is to re-start my Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Prior to this, I had downloaded Lightroom... I thought this might have been the initial cause. I uninstalled Lightroom and all my Adobe products. Any ideas?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

7. crash

For several days we've had crashes while Indesign CC 2019 (14.0.01) being idle. Might be because links (*.psp and/or *.indd) are breaking due to network issues, but should not crash even so, just say links are broken. This has resulted in several files corrupted and cannot be restored even if those documents themselves are not affected by the broken links. The Indesign temp-files also seem to become corrupt (often showing 0 byte size).

I've sent several crash reports and heard nothing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

8. Updating to Mac OSX Mojave, Indesign now behaving slow and shortcut make new document does not work anymore

Drawing a box, moving it around etc is now a kind of laggy. Moves but slow and kind of stuttering.

The GUI overall, menus etc, behaves a bit slower as well. Not much but not as quick and responsive at it was in Sierra.

Have tried de-activating GPU but that has no difference at all.

I have the latest version, 14.0.2.
    Updated to Mojave because the Adobe chat support suggested that would help out some other issues I have had.
    One reason was that command + new shortcut stopped working. And now it stopped working again...

Same thing happens in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Corrupt/pixelated cursor Issue in InDesign on MacOS High Sierra

In InDesign is a Problem with the Cursor on iOS Hight Sierra Beta Version 10.13 (17A315i). I Attached a short Video file. It is better as the describe when you what I means. Thank you.

301 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

240 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Multi-state objects and animated elements not working on State 1

InDesign CC 2019 14.0:

I have a 4 state multi-state object. Each state has a full-screen image with a text title and description which animates in (Fly-in from top) for each state upon load. Left/Right buttons control the interactivity.

However, when I add an animation to the text title/description in State-1 it causes the full-screen image to not load and the test/description text doesn't appear either. (Tested in Indesign in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and on iPad/iBooks)

When testing it in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel and I go to State-2 using the buttons and then return to State-1…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Text selection selects whole document AND cursor jumps to top of document after saving

InCopy 14.0. MacOs Mojave 10.14.4
    I work in a icml-document which was assigned to me from InDesign. It contains references to other documents and a lot of comments (for the designer).
    After I have made the third or later comment, it becomes impossible to select text. InCopy selects the text from the top of the document upto the point where I click the mouse. When I try Option+Shift+Arrow, the cursor jumps to the top of the document. I can save the document, after which the issue is away until I have made a few extra comments, but which also puts…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Accessibility-Tag Tree-Data Merge

ID 14.0.1, Mac Pro, Sierra 10.12.6
    Tags are not in proper order in exported PDF
    Using Data Merge to create many pages of text and table from large Excel file Col A-FF. Each row produces one page. The first section of the page tags are at the top of the tag tree, followed by the first section of each successive page. Then the Next tags (from the tables) are listed, again by successive pages.
    To remediate, all (table) tags have to be moved to the proper page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Cross reference takes more space than its text

A cross reference sometimes takes up more space than its actual text.

In the attached shows a frame with text with the right side of the text frame visible and the word "with" (above) extending well beyond the 2nd to last line in the frame. The "112" in the picture is a cross reference. When that cross reference is removed and "regular" text is typed in the 112 fits on the line.

Question first posted and confirmed by another here: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10908454#10908454.

This happens in CS6 and in CC2019, 14.0.1 x64.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly every time I launch Indesign CC 14.0.1

I am using Indesign CC14.0.1 on a MAC - OS Mojave V 10.14.1
    Whenever I launch Indesign I get a crash pop up saying AIGPU Sniffer has quit unexpectedly.
    Indesign is fine to work in however I am fed up with this AIGPU issue coming up all the time and don't know if it is effecting anything else?
    I've had loads of issues with the latest CC - really not impressed Adobe! Any suggestions on how to stop this happening?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Align toolbar: "Use Spacing" is greyed out

Version: Adobe InDesign cc 2019 (v 14.0)

Steps to reproduce:
    I'm not sure how to reproduce it. After some minutes of working, the checkbox for "Use Spacing" in toolbar Align/Distribute Spacing is greyed out and inactive. Not sure when it happens or what makes it happen.
    But: in the Properties toolbar, "Use Spacing" is not greyed out and it is working normal, as seen in the attached picture. If I click the checkbox in the Properties toolbar, then the checkbox in the Align toolbar is activated and not greyed out anymore.

Expected result:
    "Use Spacing" in Align toolbar should not…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

16. Resizing Text boxes causes text to disappear/flow oddly

Narrowing the text box causes text to disappear and not have the correct leading. Never have had this happen. It almost seems like it's automatically adding it's own "Space After".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Do not tag numbered headings as a list item

Unfortunately, the “Tagging Export” option within the paragraph style options getting ignored if the numbering options in the section “Bullets and Numbering” are set as well. Therefore, it’s not possible to use automatically numbered headings and getting a correct tagging structure. On the other hand it’s a good thing that lists are automatically tagged as a list. However, it should not override the export tag a user defined.

Please take that accessibility issue seriously and fix it as soon as possible.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Printing Error: ^1

Ever since the 2019 update nearly all of our inDesign files refuse to print, you get error message ^1. We are running MacOS Mojave printing to a Cannon Image Runner Advance

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Indesign CS5 Extended crashes while launching

https://pastebin.com/HecDn9ag

I hope someone can help me here, as I couldn't find a solution in other threads. I run CS on Mac OS X 10.9.5. All other programs run fine, except InDesign.

All help is much appreciated!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

Adobe InDesign team

20. Adjust Layout

I am working in Adobe InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1. When I have a manuscript already flowed into my document and try to adjust the margins on the master page with Adjust Layout enabled, when the new margins are applied to the document, all the existing text boxes "disappear." From what I can tell, they have been resized down to an infinitely small point in the middle of the spread. Obviously, this is not useful. I used to be able to adjust the margins across an entire book-length document in one go with layout adjustment, and the text on every page…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base