Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

256 results found

1. change of page dimensions won't resize alternate layout

changed page dimensions but indesign won't resize alternate layout
    changed to 5.5" from 5" and it won't re-size the alternate vertical layout.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

2. If Paragraph Format uses Shade, only the first line is underlined (instead of all) (Layer Problem!)

Its not a suggestion, its a bug.
    Under Indesign 13.1, when e.g. a whole page is styled to have a gray shade behind it, and some paragraphs have to be undelined, then ALWAYS the Line before a hard return does not show the underline, because I suppose a layer problem occurs. Indesign seems to see the text on top, then applies the shade and under that the underlining for the text, which won't be shown then. The descenders are shown normally, since they are on top in the text layer. I have not found a way to tell the underline…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Please can you add some links that have some images/ videos showing the problem you are facing. You can also mail them at amaarora@adobe.com

As seen in the attached screenshot (pic1.png), i am unable to see the issue.

-Aman

3. Can't duplicate and drag pages in pages panel

If I select pages in the pages panel, drag and duplicate to sit somewhere else within the document, it wont duplicate. Even though the + symbol appears as I drag, it only moves the selected pages within the document, it doesn't make duplicates/ Only if I drag and duplicate to sit at the very end of the document, will this actually duplicate. This is the first I've noticed this bug today.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

4. Master Page

Master Page not reflected on some document pages. Adobe InDesign CC 2018. Workaround was to change the affected document pages to another master page, then change back to the original master page. The document pages then refreshed to the expected result.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

5. cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

May 16, 1028

I am using macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.4 which I updated a few days ago.

I was/am using the InDesign CC 2018 version 13.1.

I got/am still getting the same error, after uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign.

1. New document in inDesign CC 2018.
    2. Letter size w/bleeding edges.
    3. Selected the document.
    4. Did a CMD+D and selected my .psd file, which was created on April 26, 2018.

Result: Error
    Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested information.

Thank you in advance.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Hyperlinks not detected

The "Convert URLs to Hyperlinks" function in the hyperlinks panel is not working properly in CC 2018. Not all the links are detected. There doesn’t seem to be any logic in which links are detected and which are not, it seems very random.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

I tried out with various hyperlinks and the function is working fine for me.

Please try it out with the latest release and even then if you encountering the same issue,
    please provide sample documents with which you are facing the issue or just add a small video (on WeTransfer/Youtube/Dropbox) and share the link.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale.

You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com

Thanks & Regards
    Payal Awasthi (InDesign Team)

7. book file don't work

Hi,

unfortunately it looks like the book file isn't work anymore with InDesign CC 2018.1 in Windows 10.

On my Mac it is working! I have attached two hardcopies (the one with correct page numbers is from Mac, the other from Windows 10 pro).

Obviously I tried to create a new book file and added files manually – same result.

As a result all cross-references between documents are wrong.

Any ideas?

Ulrich

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Auto-size text boxes with rounded corners expands randomly.

Version 2018, 13.0

Set a text box to auto size height and width (with no line breaks)
    Make the corners rounded
    As you can see in the attached jpgs of before and after, sometimes the box expands in width and sometimes in height, but randomly, not wrapping around the text correctly.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please mail me a sample document to reproduce the issue? I am unable to reproduce the bug.
    Is the issue only specific to 13.0? What is the reference point for the autosize?

-Aman
    amaarora@adobe.com

9. Separations Preview

Like previous versions of InDesign CC the color separations preview still does not work correctly.

When user tries to view separations by turning a color separation off, or toggling back and forth between colors, the visible page in the document goes completely haywire - scattering elements and superimposing images from other nearby pages. See attached screenshots of the issue.

This has been an issue for awhile and I am dismayed it still has not been addressed as it is a very useful function in the printing industry. Since the launch of CC I have had to check my separations in…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. search document and all documents

Since today's update (03/15/2018) in Indesign CC2018. The Search Box, even if you chose "Document" or "All documents" only performs searches in "Story"

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have tried the scenario on latest InDesign 13.1 and we are able to find the in “document” “all document” as set in dialog without any problem.
    Please elaborate the steps for reproducing the issue. That would be really helpful.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

11. double layout page has become a PB spread. some pictures missing

In a 36 page document one double page spread has become a PB spread. some pictures missing, page numbers should be 8 and 9 but show PB instead, page background is grey instead of white, see screen shot attached.
    This is a disaster as I have to get the completed magazine to the printer ASAP!
    Version InDesign CC 2018. Created a 36 page magazine. Checked back through the layout and found pages 8 and 9 were not normal. Not what I expected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

12. When flowing text in multiple textboxes, Object Styles settings are ignored

1. Indesign 13.0.1 OSX
    2. Create an object style and set it as the default for new Text Frames. Create a new Text Frame. Click on the linking box at the corner and hold down alt to link the Text Frame to a number of new TF's. Draw a number of new linked TF's with the alt key pressed.
    3. All Text Frames should have the Object Style set as default
    4. The new TF's have an OS of [None]
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    This has been the behaviour since the beginning. See the link https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/object-styles.html where it states “This category is applicable only if the object is an unthreaded text frame.”

Please let us know any use-cases where this can be beneficial so that we can process this as a “Feature modification request”

You can ctrl(cmd)+a in a text frame and then apply the paragraph style as a workaround.
    -Aman

13. Cursor spins and text display lags while typing

ISSUE: While typing, text display will freeze/lag, and the cursor will change to a loading icon for about 2 seconds, then the text will finally appear all at once after the loading icon changes back to a regular cursor. This happens while typing in a regular text box.

EXPECTED RESULT: I expect text to appear on screen immediately as I press the key on the keyboard, not after a 2 second lag.

Version: InDesign CC 13.0 x64

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Undo does not work properly on deleted text, it only deletes one character at a time instead of whole block of text

I am on a Mac and this is a problem with InDesign 2018.

If you backspace delete two or more characters from text, undo (Ctrl+Z) only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was deleted in that action.

Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign, and it works fine in Word and other apps.

I have tried deleting InDesign preferences and caches and even reinstalled it with import previous prefereces unchecked, but the problem remains, and I cannot find any solution. Can someone please help?

Macbook Air now running High Sierra 10.13.2 (but problem…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Indesign CC 2017 does not accept color management

Hello!
    I work on Mac with high Sierra 10.13.2 with adobe CC 2015, 2017 and 2018.
    I have been working with Adobe for 25 years and therefore know the subject color management settings & synchronization.
    In Photoshop I have a color set made up of ECI RGB and ISOcoated v2 and other parameters such as rel.fartric with TK, etc.

Then I synced with the bridge the suite on this set. Photoshop and AI do not accept this set but InDesign does. The error message comes:

"Some parameters of the color settings file could not be used. The default values ​​are…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
    2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents?
    3. Does it happen when you switch between Adobe applications in a specific order ?
    4. Please specify your Platform, OS version and InDesign version.

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful.

16. Placing illustrator files is very very very slow after update

After updating AI and INDD, placing AI files into INDD is taking a very long time. I made an update to an AI file that was placed into an existing INDD files that contains 13 placed AI files. I only updated a few of the linked AI files. Prior to the AI and INDD update, updating these placed links took a few seconds each max. Now, just to update the two links takes about 2 minutes.

This MAY be an AI bug, but I don't know how make that determination as I updated bothat the same time.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that.

InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that. But if you do right mouse button, or spell check, it does know the word is misspelled, offering correction suggestions. We really need to see it "dynamically" as one types; this feature is not working.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign CC2018 is not compatible with Nvidia GPU anymore

With NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3,
    pictures in boxes are going to be greyed, when manipulate the border/box. They are also going to be greyed when moving the content. With CC2017 it works properly. I was in contact with a chat support person already, who can proof this.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Can you please share screenshot for this issue. And , are you facing this issue for all the documents ?

19. gabarit

je ne peux plus changer le gabarit d'une page

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

20. CC library tab won't select?

When clicking on the dropdown menu to select a CC library, the tabs do not open unless I hold down the ^ button. When opened, I cannot select a CC library. Have refreshed several times but it still doesn't let me change the library! This is on InDesign for Mac.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi

Please provide the following information:
    1. Is InDesign installed on the default path?
    2. Do you have any special character in the path where InDesign is installed? Like username has special characters.

Also, please provide a copy of you preferences, you can zip them and email to anasgupt@adobe.com.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base