Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Crashes on quick apply

My InDesign crashes when I use the quick apply shortcut (command enter).

Computer specs
    Mac Mini (late 2012)
    OS X 10.13.6
    8GB RAM

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Data merge

Data merge doesn't work with UTF-8 unicode file (CSV or TXT).
    The sheet file aren't embbed to indesign project and can't use data.

It only works with ASCII and SHIFT_JIS but they didn't render well special characters.

Could you please fix this bug please ?
    Best regards

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Crash when generating Table of Contents

Right what it says on the tin: When I try to generate a Table of Contents from a large Book file (about 14 chapters, maybe 180ish pages total) , InDesign abruptly crashes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. footnotes disappear

Footnotes dissapear in layout when I adjust the text box. Please see the attached screen grab. If I grab the entire block with the select tool and move the box up or down, the footnotes disappear.

To fix this, I have to select the middle handle of the top of the text box and adjust it slightly up or down to make the footnotes reappear. Thanks for looking into this!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Save functions unavailable

I'm using a Mac and running Catalina, have ID 2020. Yesterday, an existing file of 33 pages stopped allowing me to save it. I had no idea it wasn't saving and lost hours worth of work by the time I realized what was happening. I tried starting a new document and pasting the text into it, but same problem. I started a new document again and it allowed me to save immediately, but the second I dropped in text (different text this time), I lost the ability to save the file. I can export to PDF or IDML, but cannot…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Can't copy paste elements in Indesign 2020 - results in crash

When I try to copy some elements a message appears that I'm tryging to paste something, but I'm tryging to copy. If I press ok then it crashes. So, again, if I press CMD-C for copy, then I get the message that I'm about to paste something.. PLEASE FIX it soon - what ever it is..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Style Override Highlighter not highlighted when in use

When I make some style changes in my text, the "Style Override Highlighter" marks theses changes. Great feature, no problem at all.

But when I 1) quit InDesign and 2) start it again, the changed text is highlighted but the "Style Override Highlighter" icon [+a] is highlighted not at all.

Solution shortcurt: Click on [+a] in character style panel, then on [+a] in paragraph style panel and it should behave the way it should. But it would be better if it'd be working the way it should.

German InDesign 2020, Mac OSX 10.14.16

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InDesign 2020 freezes when placing articles with endnotes (big file)

Working with a approximately 500 paged book, 30 articles with endnotes.

Now with 20 articles / 300 pages done, InDesign 2020 freezes when placing new articles.

Please, please, please: fix the issue with a possibility to keep all endnotes in a separate ID-file (linking endnotes to other ID-files)! Because of this, now forced to have the whole, massive book in one ID-file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign freeze?
    • Video recording of the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

10. inDesign 2020 removed the zoom view box from the top menu bar

This user is much unhappy that inDesign 2020 no longer provides the zoom view box that appeared in the top menu bar, directly to the right of the help tab. That was a fast, easy way to change the view size of the file in the screen.

I was told by Adobe that this feature was dropped because the screen size view could be achieved by other existing features. Sure... now one must pull down a tab, then go to another command and activate a feature like zoom in and zoom out. And that only shifts the view in or…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The change was made to reduce the UI clutter for the user and it was moved to the bottom left of the screen in the Status bar where other controls like page navigation, preflight profiles, etc. are available.

To continue using this feature, we can suggest a simple workaround which takes less than a minute to accomplish – just open the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog, choose Views, Navigation from the Product Area drop-down, select the ‘Access zoom percentage box’ from the list of commands and assign a shortcut – example, Ctrl-Alt-5. You can customize the keyboard shortcuts as you like and save a new Keyboard Shortcut Set.

Meanwhile, we are reviewing this request.

Adobe InDesign team

11. Bounding box is always on the outside of the stroke

Ever since I updated to the latest InDesign (InDesign 15.0.1), the bounding box is always on the outside of the stroke so instead of objects snapping to the box they are snapping to the outside of the stroke.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 12/05/19 Updates in Indesign

Update on 12/05/19 caused stability issues in Indesign. Since this update, my indesign has been crashing, unresponsive, and about as bad as AI. This program is my workhorse and I need it to function. Documents take about 5-10 minutes to open, even longer to save, and scrolling in multi-page documents is tough because it lags so hard.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. CC2020 story doesn't show hyperlink symbols

Hello,

With CC 2019 I could switch into story mode and see the starting and ending tags for a hyperlink. This ability was beneficial because I found the text editor struggled to reveal/understand the boundaries of the hyperlink's text-it couldn't tell where the hyperlink ended. If you look in the first figure, if I type at the end of the hyperlink, even with first keying a space symbol, the hyperlink extends into any further sentences I type.

In 2019 I would use the story editor to move the cursor outside the hyperlink termination symbol and get around the problem. With…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Open the Hyperlinks panel and see whether the Hyperlinks are actually there. It could be that the Hyperlinks were initially created (hence the Blue color Underline beneath them) but were removed later on. That’s why the Story Editor does not show them.

From the Hyperlinks panel flyout menu, choose ‘Convert URLs to Hyperlinks…’ and see if the Hyperlink Start and Termination Symbols are shown in the Story Editor.

Adobe InDesign team

14. Media panel crash

I’m using Indesign 2020 and every time I go to window<interactive<media and the panel opens the second I click it it becomes huge and then Indesign freezes

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Copying anchored object from one ID doc to another crashes ID 15.0 on WIN 10

An anchored object text frame, with content and formatting copied from one ID Doc to another, will crash ID (15.0 x64 WIN 10). Same action in ID (14.03) works perfectly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Adobe 2020 Crashes with copy & paste

Whenever I try to copy/paste small elements from adobe illustrator onto Adobe InDesign, indesign will automatically quit. If I try to recover the file after it has crashed, it crashes again...

What is happening here? This is an ongoing issue since the update.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Eyedropper bug — attribute pick-up is glitched by hidden layers above

If there are objects overlapping and above the source for the eyedropper tool, — even if those objects are on a hidden layer — the tool picks up a color of no fill and no stroke.

If the hidden layer is dropped below the target layer, the problem goes away.

These observations are based on original input by Bill Silbert in this User Forum discussion:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-cc-2020-eyedropper-problem-turning-text-to-no-color/m-p/10765424#M165918

InDesign versions v14 through v15

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 2020 Pages Window Broken

Ever since updating to Indesign 2020 the pages window just doesn't work. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a number of times but no matter what I do it just shows it as completely blank. This makes it extremely difficult to access anything, let alone my master pages.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. InDesign crashes when adding Cross-Reference

Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Macintosh)

I click Window > Type & Tables > Cross-References. With my cursor in a text box, I click "Create new cross-reference". Sometimes it crashes here; sometimes it opens the dialog.

When it opens the dialog, there is nothing in the Cross-Reference Format dropdown. I can click the pencil and open the Cross-Reference Format dialog and create a new format, but when I click OK the whole program crashes and closes out.

I am not experiencing freezing where I need to force-close -- it closes out completely, immediately.

I created a blank doc and am able…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base