Bug details

If Paragraph Format uses Shade, only the first line is underlined (instead of all) (Layer Problem!)

Its not a suggestion, its a bug.
Under Indesign 13.1, when e.g. a whole page is styled to have a gray shade behind it, and some paragraphs have to be undelined, then ALWAYS the Line before a hard return does not show the underline, because I suppose a layer problem occurs. Indesign seems to see the text on top, then applies the shade and _under_ that the underlining for the text, which won't be shown then. The descenders are shown normally, since they are on top in the text layer. I have not found a way to tell the underline to be the same layer as the text it underlines and from my point of view this seems to be a bug, which should be fixable (and should be fixed).

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thomas Hageleit

2 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Hageleit shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having the same trouble. When I have paragraph shading turned on (which I do in numerous places throughout my nearly 800-page book), a number of seemingly random instances of underlined text does not show up as being underlined. Often it's words in the same paragraph as other underlined words, which do show up, that have this trouble. My Style and Character settings show that the underline setting is "on," but there is no visible underline.

After seeing the post above (thank you, Thomas!!), I've gone back through the book, and noticed that in every instance that the underline was not showing, the following variables were true:

• the underlined characters were in the final line of a paragraph that ended with a hard return
    • paragraph shading is "on" for both the current paragraph, as well as the following paragraph (so that the shading continues between the two paragraphs, as I have it set in my paragraph styles)

If I simply replace the hard return with a soft return, it resolves the problem for the underlined text in the last line of that paragraph.

Fortunately, in this case, I am able to do this (because I have ragged right justification and no space before or after paragraphs, among other things), but if a soft return were not a viable option, I would be in trouble. So I agree that this bug needs to be resolved.

• Thomas Hageleit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems (i can't find any buttons to it) I cant upload any images so I will mail them to you asap.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Feedback and Knowledge Base