Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Mouse-click in menus becomes disabled

InDesign 12.1.0.56; macOS Sierra 10.12.5; Magic Mouse

The issue varies with any file. I have mostly seen this occur when in the Find/Change window, or when I try and select a font. My mouse will not be able to click (select) anything in the drop down menus. I am able to select with my keyboard by using the arrows and "return" key. To get the mouse to click (select) an option from a drop down menu, I must first restart InDesign and then open the same file.

72 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

91 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have tried to replicate the issue at our end but have not been able to, so far.
      We need your help to investigate what could be causing this.
      When you encounter this issue, quit InDesign and copy the Preferences and Cache to a shared location (like Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc.) and share the link with us.

• I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
      To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

70 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

180 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you are still experiencing this issue (as some of you are), please respond to the email that has been sent to you.
        While the issue has been fixed for certain scenarios, it looks like there are some remaining where it is still NOT working as expected. We look forward to finding a complete fix for this issue.

Thanks,
        Adobe InDesign team

• Fehlercode 4/Errorcode 4 for not damaged documents

1. Adobe Indesin CC 13.01
        After the last Update of Indesign time by time suddenly Indesign report a damaged file if you try to open any InDesign-Document.

Everytime after restarting the Mac everything is good and I'm fortunally able to open all o these documents.

Sometimes restarting Indesign helps, but not always.

The last 3 days it happens much to often und it nervs.

46 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve been able to identify one scenario in which the cache folder is not accessible while InDesign is launched, resulting in the issue. The issue seems to be specific to MAC OS.

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still encounter the issue again, try to access the location “/Users//Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version/14.0/en_US/InDesign Recovery/*” and create a file in the directory.

Workaround – Quit & relaunch the application, Cache folder gets created and the problem is resolved.

We require more information to identify the root cause of the issue. Please provide following information over email to santalwa@adobe.com
          1. Version of MAC OS (110.12.×, 10.13.x, 10.14.x)
          2. Is InDesign cache and Preferences mounted on Network drive?
          3. Any sync utility running on your machine,…

• InDesign is very slow

The latest version is virtually unusable. If I select an image or text box on a layout I get a spinning wheel for 10 - 15 seconds. If I try to move something - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Try to save a document - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Previous versions did not behave this way on this same computer. No other applications behave this way.

My Mac is a late 2012 model, 32Gb RAM, 2 SSD drives; one for the OS / Applications and one for the customer files. GeForce video card (came with the computer with 1Gb RAM.

I…

43 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            Need more info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

There can be multiple reasons for slow downs. Watching you uploaded video gave us little hint for possible causes.
            However , can you please send us your document for more analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

• Can't drag objects

I am unable to drag objects/textbox/etc in InDesign. I can resize using corner handles but I'm unable to click and drag object to desired location I've uninstalled, reinstalled, shutdown, restarted, cleared all settings, etc and nothing seems to work. I have never encountered this issue in all my years of using InDesign. Please help!

40 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

99 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We would need more details from you all to help with our investigation into the issue. Please provide the information as mentioned below.

1. OS Version?
              2. Are you able to resize the object which you are not able to drag?
              3. Is your Application Frame On or Off?
              4. Does is issue happen with a specific kind of Object, let’s say Text, Rectangle, graphic frame.

• Unable to package a file to a server after upgrading to Mojave.

Dear Adobe,
              Yesterday we upgraded to 10.14 Mojave and I am not able to package files from windows server. Indesign freezes every time.
              I can make packeges from my MAC or from external hard drives. The network is working correctly. On High Sierrea everything worked properly.

Indesign CC 2018: 13.0
              Mac: 10.14

31 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting the issue to us. We need some more information from you to narrow down the problem.

1. Is this issue reproducible with id 13.1 as well? If you are on id 13.0, please upgrade to Id 13.1.

2. Does the issue happen when the document is present on Mac machine but the packaged folder is saved on a network?

3. Does the issue happen when the document is on a network location and the package folder is made on the network location?

4. Is the issue consistently reproducible?

5. What kind of server are you using? Is it shared folder on a Windows machine? Or a dedicated storage hosted on a Windows server?

• Spell check not working

I have installed the latest version of ID, and the spell check is not working. It does not detect misspelled words.

20 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  21 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Cannot resize Epub Interactivity Preview panel

I can not resize the Epub Interactivity Preview Panel at all.
                  I am using the latest InDesign CC 2018.

SWF Preview panel is fine.

18 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  20 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Hand tool freezes

10.12.6 Sierra
                    Hand tool freezes and no other tool can be selected. It won't unfreeze unless I shut down entire computer. This is a recurring issue.

14 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

I am trying to reproduce the issue so that it can be fixed at the earliest.
                      However, we are still unable to get down to the steps to reproduce the problem inhouse.
                      Please help us with providing the below mentioned details.
                      1. What are the most used extensions in your Web Browser?
                      2. Does the problem occur only when you had earlier used the hand tool or is it regardless of that?
                      3. Have you witnessed the same issue on Id 14.0.1?

-Abhinav Kaushik
                      InDesign Team

• indesign crashes very regularly

Indesign crashes very often these days giving this message [/Development/siriusr11/external/dva/adobe/dvaui/ui/src/OS_UI.cpp-4645], but not autosaving. It seems to happen at different times, can't pinpoint why it does

14 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
                        (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
                        • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
                        • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
                        • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

• No Panels at Start

Many times CC apps start with no panels at all or panels which won't expand when clicked.

Also happens in Photoshop, Illustrator in my experience and on different machines (Mac Pro at home, different iMacs at the office).

Has been going on for many iterations of CC apps.

macOS High Sierra 13.13.3 / CC 2018 InDesign 13.0.1

13 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have recently released InDesign CC 2019 and we believe that this issue should no longer occur.

You can download the latest version of InDesign from the Creative Cloud Desktop application.

Please confirm if the issue has got fixed.

Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign CC 2018 stalls to a spinning beachball right after opening for a brief time

On first opening InDesign in Sierra 10.2.4, after a couple of seconds of not taking any action, InDesign stalls briefly—about 3 to 4 seconds—not allowing any new action during that time. There is just a spinning beachball. I can postpone the beachball by immediately opening a menu; but after mousing away from the menu the beachball comes back. Not sure if it is trying to load something, but I currently don't have any extra extensions installed. I tried resetting preferences and removing all user install scripts, but it still did it. It's consistent every time I open the new version.…

12 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
                            We are currently investigating the issue as the issue is not reproducible inhouse. We have sent mails to most of the folks and received following responses:
                            • The issue got resolved automatically.
                            • The issue immediately vanished when Unchecking Creative Cloud synchronization.
                            • Upgrade to OS 10.13.6 resolved the issue
                            • The issue got resolved after turning off TypeKit sync

Regards
                            InDesign Team

• InDesign CC (13.0.1.) - Often can't save as InDesign-Document (error code 0)

InDesign often says that it can't save my InDesign-Document, because its damaged (error code 0) . It damage my files, so that i've to save as IDML.

Annoying.

Cant't reproduce the problem.
                            I work local, so it can't be an connection-problem.

11 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve been able to identify one scenario in which the cache folder is not accessible while InDesign is launched resulting is the issue. The issue seems to be specific to MAC OS.
                              If you encounter the issue again, try to access the location “/Users//Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version/13.0/en_US/InDesign Recovery/*” and create a file in the directory.

Workaround – Relaunch the application, Cache folder gets created and the problem is resolved.

We require more information to identify the root cause of the issue. Please provide following information via email to santalwa@adobe.com
                              1. Version of MAC OS (10.11.x, 10.12.x, 10.13.x)
                              2. Is InDesign cache and Preferences mounted on Network drive?
                              3. Any sync utility running on your machine, such as TimeMachine?

Thanks,
                              Adobe InDesign Team

• Spacebar handtool doesn't work

Since I use Indesign CC (Now CC 2018 13.0) sometimes the hand tool (spacebar) doesn't work. And today it again doesn't work. Why is this problem here for almost a year now. I am very disappointed in this bug.

11 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When the Spacebar stops working in InDesign, does it continue to work properly in other Adobe or non-Adobe applications? It looks like there is an application or a process running on the machine which is grabbing this key/shortcut.

Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page

InDesign CC Server 2018.1 crashes when applying masterSpread to a page.
                                The code attached in file "Script.txt" crashes when executing "item.appliedMaster = masterSpread;".
                                The file "File.indd" is on which I execute the script.
                                I works properly in InDesign CS6 and InDesign CC 2018.1.
                                I've been searching on Internet and I couldn't find any issue similar to mine.
                                I think it is a bug but maybe I'm missing something prior to execute that sentence.
                                Thanks.

10 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign Server CC2019 (v 14.0) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0 (build 130), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.

Adobe InDesignServer team

• links labeled as "modified" when actually "OK"

ID= v13.1
                                  MacOS= 10.13.4

Problem: Open any ID file and links that should be "OK" are labeled as "modified". I do not get any error window that pops up notifying me this. Without taking any action, I close the ID file and reopen it and links are now labeled as "OK". Open it up a third time and links are "OK". I QUIT out of ID and open that same file and see links as "OK" and now they are labeled as "modified". This process repeats. Attached video to show. All links in these ID files are not modified or…

10 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
                                    Based on our analysis we found that there are two set of users facing the issue:

Set 1: Users with Universal Type Client v6.1.6 installed.
                                    The issue is resolved for them with Universal Type Client v6.1.7

Set 2: Users not with Universal Type Client v6.1.6 installed.
                                    For these user’s looking from the attached video, we can see that no pop up for modified links was shown on opening the file.
                                    In this case , no sync call is done on opening the document for fetching the links status. Till the time the call results are fetched, links panel shows the link status same as the one registered at last instance of this document close. So, for these users, showing modified links is ‘AsDesigned’.
                                    But we would like to know the below two things to clearly verify that is ‘AsDesigned’:
                                    1: Does the link status get corrected after keeping the…

• unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
                                    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
                                    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

10 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • InDesign False Ligatures Bug

InDesign sometimes, seemingly randomly, replaces pairs such as hn, il, io, sy, ek, etc. with completely wrong glyph, such as accented Y, U, etc., when regular Ligature setting is applied. This has been a problem since CS5 and we recently had it occur in CC2015, so it is still there. Affected fonts have been many over the years, including licensed Adobe fonts. Fonts can be Open Type or PostScript. Language setting can be English US, UK, or seemingly anything else. The only thing that works to avoid it is to turn off Ligatures which is generally unacceptable, so the only…

8 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
                                        We are looking at this issue. But because of its intermittent nature, we are unable to reproduce the issue.
                                        Can you share the sample files with which you are facing the issue?
                                        Are there any specific softwares installed on your system?
                                        You can mail me the files and information at amaarora@adobe.com

Thanks,
                                        Aman

• World-Ready Composer Is messing up the kerning in Latin fonts

I have reported a variation of this—back with CS6—but it seems not to have been fixed. I assume it's a bug, but if someone can enlighten me about what I might be doing wrong and how I can fix this, I'd appreciate it.

I often work on books that include Arabic and Hebrew words and phrases in the middle of English text. They only way to get the Arabic ligatures to form is to use one of the World Ready composers. When I do that, though, the kerning around some English characters often—but not always—is affected. I have tried turning…

8 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Exporting Emojis to PDF

I built a newsletter with the use of the new Apple Emoji "glyphs" in InDesign and when I went to export it as a PDF, it replaced my emojis with random images from my file.

I talked with Adobe support and learned that only vector emojis can be used in PDFs which is a bit frustrating! Can we update the PDF export capability to include these new emoji features, so we can use the glyphs like I think that they were intended? I'd be a happy camper!! Thank you in advance!

8 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Please try it out with the latest release and if even then you encountering the same issue, please share the documents with which you are facing the issue or just add a small video (on WeTransfer/Youtube/Dropbox) and share the link.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale. You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com.

Thanks,
                                            Payal Awasthi (InDesign Team)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base