Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
    To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

217 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you are still experiencing this issue (as some of you are), please respond to the email that has been sent to you.
    While the issue has been fixed for certain scenarios, it looks like there are some remaining where it is still NOT working as expected. We look forward to finding a complete fix for this issue.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

2. InDesign is very slow

The latest version is virtually unusable. If I select an image or text box on a layout I get a spinning wheel for 10 - 15 seconds. If I try to move something - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Try to save a document - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Previous versions did not behave this way on this same computer. No other applications behave this way.

My Mac is a late 2012 model, 32Gb RAM, 2 SSD drives; one for the OS / Applications and one for the customer files. GeForce video card (came with the computer with 1Gb RAM.

I…

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

51 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

There can be multiple reasons for slow downs. Watching you uploaded video gave us little hint for possible causes.
    However , can you please send us your document for more analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

3. stalls intermittently, seconds to minutes of spinning beach ball or Application not responding

Stalls to a spinning beach ball intermittently during use. Add images in frames, move images or add text, what-ever, it suddenly just stalls and can take seconds to minutes before clearing. CS6, the CC2017 worked fine. Now CC2018 seems to have regressed in performance. I have to FORCE QUIT at times. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. InDesign CC 2019, GPU enablement on Mac

InDesign CC 2019 14.0
    macOS Mojave 10.14
    Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2012)
    SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5

Photoshop CC GPU Performance - ok
    Illustrator CC GPU Performance - ok
    InDesign CC... GPU incompatible???
    In addition, there are icon discolorations (only InDesign). Sometimes this effect occurs, sometimes not. The color of discoloration can be different.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign slow opening, saving, exporting files

InDesign taking up to 5 minutes to open a file. The file is a one-page document. Two minutes of nothing, then 2 minutes of a blue status bar, then another minute watching the tiny status bar on the application icon in the doc. Once the file is "open" it isn't visible until I toggle back and forth between InDesign and another application. Saving, even after changing only one text character, takes 55 seconds. Exporting a 30 page document to PDF took 20 minutes.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please provide below mentioned data as much as possible. This will help us find root cause of the issue and make InDesign’s performance experience better.

1. InDesign Version being used (Please mention InDesign version- e.g. 14.0.2 build, you can check this from “About InDesign..” menu.)
    2. Same issue was being observed in earlier version of InDesign?
    3. Please share a packaged document for analysis at sharewithID@adobe.com .
    4. Which area OR feature where slowness is being observed(e.g. typing, export, movement etc.)
    5. Any Known steps(Step that led to slowness)
    6. Platform detail(Using Windows/Mac e.g. Windows10, Mac10.12.1)
    7. Machines Configuration (details like RAM, CPU etc.)
    8. Video recording(Please provide the screen recording showing slowness )
    9. Workspace file
    (Please do share workspace file corresponding to your workspace. Workspace files are present at)
    MAC: “/Users/[USERNAME]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version [Number]/[Your Locale]/Workspaces/”
    Win: “C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version [Number]\[Your Locale]\Workspaces\”
    10. Any other extra…

6. Spacebar handtool doesn't work

Since I use Indesign CC (Now CC 2018 13.0) sometimes the hand tool (spacebar) doesn't work. And today it again doesn't work. Why is this problem here for almost a year now. I am very disappointed in this bug.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. No Panels at Start

Many times CC apps start with no panels at all or panels which won't expand when clicked.

Also happens in Photoshop, Illustrator in my experience and on different machines (Mac Pro at home, different iMacs at the office).

Has been going on for many iterations of CC apps.

macOS High Sierra 13.13.3 / CC 2018 InDesign 13.0.1

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Can't scroll through pages in presentation mode

2017.1 Release, 12.1.0.56 Build
    macOS Sierra version 10.12.6

When I go to the presentation mode, I am not able to scroll through the pages. Whether i use the trackpad, arrow keys, or change the keyboard shortcuts.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    There has to be a scenario in which the scrolling of the document is not working in presentation mode because, otherwise it is not reproducible at our end.
    I can observe that, pages do not scroll while making a vertical gesture on the mouse, but through other methods such as, click, arrow key pages can be scrolled easily.

Are you able to scroll using clicks and arrow keys?
    Is it the case that, the issue is intermittent or only happens in a specific scenario?
    Also, let us know your machine details such its configuration, OS version and Id version

This can help us to get to the bottom of the issue

Thanks,
    Abhinav

10. Scrolling too slow

Adobe needs to improve scrolling speed. When using the slider, InDesign can't keep up with it.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Locked text and image boxes

Text and image boxes are locked to the page and can't be moved with the mouse, only with the arrow tools

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  ansjain responded

Hi all,

Can you please provide some more information to help in reproducing the issue at our end:
    - InDesign version
    - OS
    - Language
    - If document specific, please share a document with me
    - Starts happening after doing some particular steps, please let me know what all things you were performing before this issue happens

Appreciate your help in reproducing this issue.

Thanks
    -Anshul

12. InDesign 2019 scrubby zoom no longer works (command + space + click)

Prior to InDesign 2019, you can press command + spacebar + click to be able to activate the scrubby zoom feature.

Now when you press command + spacebar + click you just draw a box that once you unclick, it zooms to that space... Very undesirable..

Did a preference change on the update somewhere that I don't know about? Because I can not find this feature in the Preferences now.

Please advise.

Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The feature you are talking about is called ‘Animated Zoom’ (it’s Mac only feature).
    It is turned ON by default on Mac machines having a GPU card with a compatible monitor attached.
    Check the Document Name in its tab – does it say ‘GPU Preview’? If not, press Shift+E to switch to this mode.
    Also, check under Preferences > GPU Performance and see if ‘Animated Zoom’ is checked ON. It should be enabled for this feature to work.

Adobe InDesign team

13. pipette does not work in cells of tables

pipette does not work in cells of tables

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. scripts panel not sorted by name

Using: InDesign 2019 (v14.0.2); macOS Mojave 10.14.4

I want to sort script files by name.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/31660828-scripts-panel-sorting

This is a previously fixed issue...
    But it has the same issue again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    We were unable to reproduce the issue inhouse. Please can you share the below pieces of information
    1. Which locale of InDesign you are using?
    2. Have you tried to delete the cache and Preferences folder of InDesign and then see whether the issue is happening again?
    3. Can you provide the screen-shot of Script Panel?
    You may mail the information at the email sharewithID@adobe.com

Thanks,
    Aman

15. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

16. Alt key modifier keeps toolbar active after use when zooming in using scroll wheel

Not sure when this started happening, I only know that it's started irritating the heck out of me quite recently. I'm on Win 10 using InDesign 14.0.2

Whenever I alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out, InDesign switches focus to the toolbar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu.

It becomes an issue when for example zooming into an active text box, if you need to type F, E, L, T, O, A, V, W, or H, after using alt+scroll you end up bringing up the View menu as soon as you hit the V key.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    As per our understanding the issue is as follows:
    Launch InDesign.
    1. Press alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.
    2. InDesign switches focus to the menu-bar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu shortcut.
    3. Type F, E, L, or T after using alt+scroll

Result:
    Menu entry is opened from the control strip (example View menu as soon as you hit the V key).

Expected:
    Key press should select the suitable tool denoted by that key

This has been the behavior since quite long and does not look like a break in behavior.
    Please can you confirm?

Thanks

17. InCopy character panel blank

My coworker is on a PC running InCopy 2019 and has had an issue with InCopy since CC2017. The panels (not sure which ones are there other than the character panel) move from the side to the top and go blank and are utterly unusable. Turning them off and on again doesn't do anything. Any ideas on making it usable again?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. InDesign 14.0 x 64 Margin won't change since software update

When I try to increase or decrease margins, nothing happens. It used to work great until my last software update.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Preferences Reset after working with a large XML based file

I work with large XML files to create catalogs several times a month. This results in InDesign giving me a lot of "Continue without Undo" prompts anytime I do any action (even scrolling and zooming), so I save the file and quit InDesign. Upon reopening InDesign, it says that it cannot read my preference file and resets everything.

This is extremely frustrating, as while my workspace is saved, all of the character/paragraph/object styles, swatches, and program settings are completely wiped, as are all the tool tips and notifications. Barring being able to not have this problem occur regularly, is there…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for providing the information. Just copy the preference and try the following workflow –
    • Delete InDesign preferences
    • Copy the InDesign corrupt preferences.
    • Launch InDesign.
    • An alert would come that the preference have been reset.

If the above workflow works with the copied preference, Zip them and mail it to santalwa@adobe.com.

Regards
    InDesign Team

20. Separations Preview

Like previous versions of InDesign CC the color separations preview still does not work correctly.

When user tries to view separations by turning a color separation off, or toggling back and forth between colors, the visible page in the document goes completely haywire - scattering elements and superimposing images from other nearby pages. See attached screenshots of the issue.

This has been an issue for awhile and I am dismayed it still has not been addressed as it is a very useful function in the printing industry. Since the launch of CC I have had to check my separations in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base