Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InCopy Assignments Updates Crash InDesign

I have an InDesign book file housing several InDesign files that are news page documents with InCopy assignments. When I open the .indd files from the .indb file and a story has been updated (update links dialogue) when I click on "update links" InDesign crashes. I've clicked "don't update links" and it doesn't crash. However, when I go to the page that needs updating and I click update in the assignments panel, InDesign crashes.
    This all happened before and after I reset my InDesign preferences.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign crashes when mounting/updating another InDesign document with overset text

InDesign Version: Adobe InDesign CC 13.0.1
    Operating System: macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2
    Computer: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. Create a new document in InDesign with at least 3 pages.
    2. Make a textbox on one of the pages (e.g. page 1) and fill it with some text.
    3. Resize the textbox so that some text overset and preflight shows 1 error - overflowing text.
    4. Save and close the document
    5. Create a new InDesign document
    6. Place the InDesign file with the overflowing textbox in the new InDesign document (NOTE: You…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know if the issue is resolved for you in InDesign 14.0.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

3. Cannot open file due to deleting hyperlinks in Indesign CC 2018

I was deleting the list of hyperlinks in my file and it crashed. So I kept saving the file after every hyperlink I had deleted so that I can find out which one was the root problem, but now I cannot even open the file as it just crashes immediately it opens. At this moment in time I have to do the whole job again.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

4. Indesign crashing on startup 2017 / 2018 (cloud) - Please Help!!

InDesign crashes the computer on startup. Not just the program, but restarts the PC. Sometimes it crashes with blue screen sometimes with plain and simple restart without any messages. Program does not even open.

I'm running Intel I7 8720X, Nvidia 1080 TI, 11 GB, 32 GB ram DDR4, 512 SSD + 3 TB Storage, Windows 10 Home - all updates.

I'm not sure what is going on. I tried to reinstall it, several times, after I uninstall removing preferences / settings, formatted the drives to kill any existing settings, still same issues. Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat work fine, not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

5. Editing font in table and it crashes

Selecting multiple cells and changing font, Indesign keeps crashing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

6. InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update

InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update. Running Mac OS High Sierra. It's one thing after another since updating to 2018.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

8. Trying to copy any item or group of items crashes InDesign

Attempting to copy any item or group of items to the pasteboard in InDesign crashes the application.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Resize text box crashes InDesign

Resizing a text box crashes InDesign CC 2018.

I need a text box to be larger to (accommodate more text) and every method I've tried to enlarge it crashes InDesign.
    - Drag corner (any corner); crash.
    - Manually input larger width or height; crash.
    - Change text box properties to auto-size based on amount of text...add text; crash.

I NEED to add text to this file TODAY.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

10. 2018 crashes

I am able to get to the point of "do you want to start automatic recovery..i'll hit yes and no...crashes right after that

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

11. Crashing

Updated to High Sierra and Indesign 2017 is crashes on start up of large files?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InDesign 2017 file on file server with High Sierra

We have Panzura file servers here and anytime we try to open an InDesign file with CC 2017 it completely crashes any mac that tries to open it, immediate kernel panic with both InDesign and Finder being the cause. So we tried to copy the files to the desktop and open them from there, no dice.

How on earth did Adobe not catch this bug? You guys had 3 months access at least to the dev prereleases like the rest of the software vendors, this is pretty unacceptable.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

13. Cell Style override crash

Crashes when applying and overriding a cell style to a table that has previous overrides. Tried it multiple times on multiple files, all with the same crash result.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

14. Spanning columns crashes program

Working with span columns with large documents creates a bug invested document. I'm working on a document now that crashes everytime I make any change to it. So much for professional program.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Data Merge causes crash/lock-up when displaying panels on second screen

When displaying my panels on a second monitor using InDesign and then trying to begin a data merge the application crashes and becomes unresponsive.

If I change the layout of the panels to one screen (the default layout) it works fine.

I've uninstalled InDesign and reinstalled, also deleting my preferences folders/files.

I can select the data source and insert one field, but then clicking on anything else after the first field has been inserted causes the application to stop responding.

I've attached a screenshot of the panels on the second screen for your reference - there are no panels on…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

16. Create outlines in a document with conditional text crashes

I have four InDesign templates created, two use conditional text while the other two do not. I have no problem creating outlines of the document without the conditional text. Every time I try to create outlines of a page in a document with conditional text, I get the endless spinning wheel and have to force quit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Creating a catalogue with a large table FREEZING in indesign CC 2019

We've been making a large catalogue pricelist for over 13 years using indesign.

We're now stuck on the 2017 (12.1.0) version.
    We want to update it, but in the latest version, importing our pricelist from excel into a table, slows the whole thing down to an unworkable speed.

info:
    the table is around 13000 rows by 10 columns. so not small.
    it does import in the 2017 version. slow to import in both, but can use and work on after import in 2017 version.
    2019, freezes when scroll used, and take 1-3 mins to unfreeze. Scroll again or do anything…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Indesign wont open on double click

Whenever i open indesign via double click ont he file the system fails to open, and i get a crash report) the only way is to open indesign program then drag the indesign file into that window for it to open

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign 2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), we recommend that you update to this latest version.

Also, please send the following information to sharewithID@adobe.com :

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? (Please take a backup of the same before trashing them).

Adobe InDesign team

20. Shortkeys causing program to freeze

Hi, I'm using the latest Indesign CC on my windows 10 laptop
    Indesign keeping freezing and doesn't recover when i use any shortcut keys.
    E.g ctrl E to export a PDF will crash the program, so i need to go the long way of file - export etc

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

(Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base