Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Shading and Underline conflict

Some underline strokes become invisible when Paragraph Shading is applied.
    If removed shading then strokes appear.
    That's a bug, shading always must go bottom.
    Two screenshots are from Indesign, with and without paragraph shading. The last screenshot is from Acrobat, i've deleted manually gray frames to reveal the hidden strokes.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Grep expressions with ~F in a character class fail in endnotes

The inclusion of ~F in a character class invalidates grep expressions in endnotes.

InDesign version: 14.0.2.324 (with the GREP fix installed)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the attached document. It contains a single page with text and an endnote.
    2. In the GREP tab of the Find/What window, enter the following GREP expression:

\d[^.,;~F]+

And target the document. The expression matches from a digit up to the next period, comma, semicolon, or footnote marker.

Expected result: The expression should match some text in the main text and in the endnote.
    Actual Result: The expression does not match anything in the…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bad optical kerning for superscript "4"

When a superscript "4" follows a closing smart quotation mark, optical kerning is set to -60 or -70 depending on font. This is too close (basically a crash).

This is annoying for books with lots of endnotes, where superscript numbers usually follow quotation marks.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Text disappears from text boxes on certain pages.

The text in some of the text boxes just disappears when reopened, especially in files that are a couple of days old.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ignore All not working in spell check

When using the spell check, the "Ignore All" feature no longer appears to work. When spell checking a long document this is a pain and it's really easy to miss something that is actually wrong.

This seems to be a fairly recent thing as it did used to work. Using the latest version of InDesign.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Footnote marker is replaced with an unknown character if preceded by a character with a specific Unicode pattern

Footnote marker is replaced with an unknown character if preceded by a character with a specific Unicode pattern. Unicode pattern is U+##1a. Here are some of those characters:

U+011a
    U+021a
    U+031a
    U+041a
    U+051a
    U+061a
    U+071a
    U+081a

You could try the attached test file for placement in to an InDesign document. Unicode of the character following the footnote marker is : U+011a

This happen when file format of the file is either RTF or DOC. Its not a issue with DOCX.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. InDesign Performance issue: Lag in reflowing of text in a document with large number of footnotes

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)
    macOS Sierra
    2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
    16gb Ram
    Indesign 14.0.1

Reflowing Bug when Resizing Text Box with Footnotes. As you can see in the video, the following page turns blank when I resize a text box to fit more content. Also, every I do this, the lag is noticeable. I tried with InDesign CC2018 and its more responsive.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

8. Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Right Arrow / Left Arrow in tables

InDesign version 14.0.

The keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Right Arrow" to move one word to the right does not work when the text cursor is in a table. Same for "Ctrl+Left Arrow", to move one word to the left.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2 Headings in 1 cell is displayed incorrectly in the TOC

Since InDesign version 14.0 x64 (Windows), when creating or updating a TOC, the second heading is directly connected to the first heading without any distance and without chapter number. This only happens if both source headings are in 1 cell.

The proof: Documents made before version 14 have a correct TOC. If I open such a document with version 14 and update the TOC, it will break as mentioned above.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

10. Cursor spins and text display lags while typing

ISSUE: While typing, text display will freeze/lag, and the cursor will change to a loading icon for about 2 seconds, then the text will finally appear all at once after the loading icon changes back to a regular cursor. This happens while typing in a regular text box.

EXPECTED RESULT: I expect text to appear on screen immediately as I press the key on the keyboard, not after a 2 second lag.

Version: InDesign CC 13.0 x64

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Import XLSX spreadsheet to an InDesign table: the "-1" problem

1. InDesign CS4 - CC2017

2. Generate an Excel spreadsheet that contains at least one cell with the value "-1". Save as XLSX. Import/place (cmd-d) this file as "unformatted table".

3. the cells with the value "-1" should still have this value.

4. the cells are empty. All other values seem to show up correctly.

Additional information: Working regularly on Annual Reports with 100+ tables, our choice is to import as „unformatted table“ and to do all formatting in InDesign. After changes in Excel, all we have to do is updating the linked tables via the link panel. Table contents…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

12. Black swatch in cell diagonal line is not overprint

In Table and Cells, stroke color default swatch is [Black]. In this case, overprinting is set even if the overprint check box is off.
    However, the diagonal line does not set the overprint even if [Black] swatch is applied.
    This is not set unless the check box is checked, so it must be the same as stroke because it behaves differently from stroke.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. [Performance] Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Stroke Drawing Order not working

InDesign 2019 on MacOS 10.13.6

Steps to reproduce
    Define table stroke using the proxy in the Control panel (see screenshot) and try to change the Stroke Drawing Order.

Expected result
    Stroke Drawing Order "Row Strokes In Front" should be as selected in "Table Options"

Actual result
    Row Strokes are not in front. All strokes which are altered using the control panel options remain unchanged.
    If a new table is setup using only the menu options (Cell Options > Strokes And Fills) everything works fine.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In the Table Setup dialog, do the following:

In the Row Strokes section (2nd tab), choose Alternating Pattern : Every Other Row and then make the First 1 Rows and Next 1 Rows the exact same settings.

In the Column Strokes section (3rd tab), choose Alternating Pattern: Every Other Column and then make the First 1 Columns and Next 1 Columns the exact same settings.

In the Table Setup section (1st tab), you can set the Table Border as 0mm and Stroke Drawing Order as ‘Row Strokes in Front’.

Most probably this should help you get the results you are after. Try this out and let us know if it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

15. lag selecting text

InDesign 14.0.1

1. Switch to InDesign from another program
    2. Select either Selection Tool or Direct Select tool
    3. Double click on the text to place a cursor among the text
    4. Double click again to select a word

Expected result: quick action from step to step

Actual result: a few seconds of lag

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Arabic Diacritics move to unwanted places if you use an Index Marker in the same line

1. Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Middle Eastern version -- English يدعم العربية)

2. a. Type this Arabic text: شَيْء غريب
    2. b. Create new Index entry for the second word: غريب

3. The Diacritics should stay as they were.

4. Diacritic of the second letter (يْ) goes somewhere else.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. typekit fonts missing but return when InDesign is restarted twice

1. InDesign CC 13.1 x64

2. This bug happens every time I open an InDesign file that has a typekit font (any typekit font)

3. The typekit font will show as active in my Creative Cloud assets panel. The expected result would be for the file to open with the fonts synced.

4. Actual result: InDesign tells me that the fonts are not synced. The only way to fix it is to close and open the entire program twice.
    The third time the file is opened in the program, InDesign will show that the fonts are synced.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Undo does not work properly on deleted text, it only deletes one character at a time instead of whole block of text

I am on a Mac and this is a problem with InDesign 2018.

If you backspace delete two or more characters from text, undo (Ctrl+Z) only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was deleted in that action.

Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign, and it works fine in Word and other apps.

I have tried deleting InDesign preferences and caches and even reinstalled it with import previous prefereces unchecked, but the problem remains, and I cannot find any solution. Can someone please help?

Macbook Air now running High Sierra 10.13.2 (but problem…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Spell checker in InDesign CC2018 (13.0) has lost its mind

InDesign spell check is randomly not recognising everyday words and when I acknowledge it by clicking Ignore All or Skip, it stops again on the very next word to report an Uncapitalised Sentence. This is happening whether I have the Dictionary set to Proximity or Hunspell.

I cannot find a pattern other than that, but I have now experienced it on ten different InDesign documents. It is very annoying, but I am also left to wonder whether it is actually missing other words that might actually need correction?? PLEASE HELP.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Split column doesn't work correctly.

Urgent: ID 2020 splitting multiple columns doesn't work!
    I attach screenshot showing:
    - paragraph style split column
    - screenshot with style applied in ID 2019 14.3
    - screenshot with the same style and same text in ID 2020

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?