Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. automatic resizing of text frames doesn't work properly with text variables

I have a text frame containing just a single text-variable. The text frame is set to horizontal size adjustment. If the varibale is shorter than the text frame then the frame is resized properly. If the variable is longer the text is being squeezed together. The frame stays as big as it was before.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Czech Winsoft dictionary is broken: all lowercase words are marked as misspelled (CC2020)

The spellcheck of Czech text is not working correctly if you select Winsoft dictionary in all versions of CC2020: it marks all words starting with lower case letter as wrong and recommends capitalising ALL words. Unfortunately the Winsoft dictionary is the only option for Czech language as both Hunspell and Proximity are really bad.
    1 Type Czech text
    2 Set Winsoft dictionaries in InDesign preferences
    3 Run spell checker
    4 All words in lowercase will be marked as misspelled (each word is treated as if it stands at the beginning of a sentence)

Expected result: see CS6, Winsoft dictionaries work…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Text rendering bug – the edited text is rendered over older version of the text

I work on a book. While editing the book, I face constant rendering issues: the updated text is rendered on top of the unaltered text. It happens irregularly many times a day. The problem is not document oriented nor platform specific. I started to make screenshots in March and the bug is still present.
    It is very annoying. The only solution is to switch to Selection tool and the change select the Text tool. If you seriously edit a document and you face rendering bugs every five minutes, it is pain **********.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Import XLSX spreadsheet to an InDesign table: the "-1" problem

There is a bug by adding linked xlsx-files to InDesign when the cell in Excel contains a formula which returns text. There is no issue with numbers.
    InDesign Vers. 15.1.1 / Windows 10

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. optical margin alignment and index entry

I have optical margin alignment turned on. When I add an index entry, if the line it is in has a margin adjustment on the left side, then the right edge of the line becomes indented the same amount as the adjustment. I am currently using ID 15.1.1, but I have seen this error since at least CS 6.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. GREP match expressions with endnote marker doesn't work correctly

Some GREP match expressions with endnote marker don't work. For instance:

(?<=~U)(.|\r|\t)

returns no result.

(.)~U

returns no result.

The same expressions work fine with footnote marker.
    Error appears in all versions of ID up to current.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Variable Font: top of "U" wiggles as you change weight (FreeType bug)

1. Download and unzip https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b6k0izkm5ma3dy/200719-AdobeVFBug.zip?dl=1

2. Install the font from font/DaikonVF-mini.ttf

3. Run InDesign 15.1.1

4. Type "AU" and choose the Daikon VF font

5. Click the Variable Font button and move the weight slider between the extreme locations. Observe how the top of "U" "wiggles" (jumps up and down). This is shown in videos/DaikonVF-InDesign-15.1.1.mp4

6. The same problem occurs in Illustrator 24.2.1 and I have logged it at https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40945024-variable-font-bug-wiggling-top-of-u

7. The same problem occurs in DTL OTmaster 7.9 and in FontView 2019 (an open source app built from https://github.com/googlefonts/fontview ) — both apps use older versions of the FreeType library.

8. The problem no longer occurs in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Tab Palette

The magnet in the Tab Palette goes to the beginning of the text field. When the text field is too large, it should be able to go to the beginning of the selected text when the text field does not fit on the screen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Auto-activate fonts tries to activate a font that doesn't exist, forever

With the new auto-activation of fonts, my InDesign seems to try to activate 'Bureau Grot', which so far as I can tell, isn't an Adobe font. Does it constantly in the background and there's no way to cancel it/tell it it's barking up the wrong tree...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. rectangle frame tool

The large X in the frame has disappeared when using the rectangular frame tool. Is this a preference issue or a change to the basic functionality of InDesign? I would really like to be able to use it again. It made my work a lot easier.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Kerning (spacing) issue with small caps active

There's an annoying issue with kerning (or in general with characters spacing) on characters without small caps when small caps is active on preceding characters.
    This appens randomly on a full text document but seems always with text imported from Word.
    The strange thing is that if I deactivate small caps from only a white space before the badly spaced text, the problem disappear. Likewise if I deactivate small caps from preceding word but keep it in the white space before the badly spaced text, the problem disappear again. However if I deactivate small caps from preceding text, keeping it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Native support for table formulas in InDesign

I have found countless workarounds for scripts that support formulas in InDesign, but how is this not a native tool?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Latest Indesign update changes text flow.

InDesign 15.1.1.1 introduces a new error. Text flow in a long document with justified text changes. I am using Mac Mojave 10.14.6. When I reinstalled 15.1 this problem went away.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fonts won't visibly load, but preflight is green. Close the doc and reopen - fonts work again.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    InDesign 15.1 & 15.1.1

When a document is open, some of the fonts will not visibly load. However when you go to Type > Find/Replace it shows there are no font issues. Preflight is green and all fonts are listed as "OK". We then immediately close the document and reopen it everything looks fine. When the same document is opened hours later the problem repeats itself.

Notes:
    • It appears that fonts loaded from the Document Folder ONLY are OK.
    • Fonts that are loaded simultaneously in Font Book and the Document Fonts folder fail to display…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. "Shin Dot" and "sin Dot" does not work

On Mac, InDesign version 15.1.1 - typing the Unicode character "Shin Dot" and "sin Dot" does not work with the keyboard, only with the glyphs panel

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Menu item "Convert footnotes and endnotes" missing

Although my software is up to date, the option "Convert footnotes to endnotes" is missing from my "Type" menu item (image). The interface is in portuguese, but you can see there are only four itens on the footnote/endnote area, the fifth ("Convert footnote to endnote") is really missing...
    I tried unistalling and installing InDesign again from Creative Cloud but it didn´t solve this issue. This menu item is also unavailable on Edit>Menus...
    System: Windows 10 / 64 bits
    Adobe Indesign (2020): 15.1.1 x64

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. InDesign 15.1.1 English dictionary missing plural word spellings

Since the update every plural word version is not in the dictionary. Simple, basic words like 'years' and 'days' now show as a spelling error. It was working fine before the latest update. Get it fixed - it's pointless having the spellchecker when so many basic words are missing!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Kerning Drop Cap Bug // Indesign 2020 (15.11)

Indesign 2020 (15.11) Adjusting the Space Between my Drop Cap and the Next Letter with kerning doesn't work.

Nothing happens when i want to adjust the space between the drop cap character and the next character?

It works just fine just one character further along, and between the character before (The drop cap spans over two characters)?

So it seems

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Type is shifting inside text box upon moving.

I've been noticing when I use the type tool, I can fill it as normal. Style things with the appropriate fonts/colors but should I move the box it self to a new location the spacing above the font will grow or shrink and shift everything inside that text box. It almost acts like it is adjusting like it has text flow around an image feature selected. Sometimes remove all the styles then re-applying them will fix it but this is issue had been annoying me for maybe the past 2 months.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base