problem with optical margin alignment and world-ready paragraph composer
This happens in multiple versions of InDesign. I've reproduced it in ID CS 6 (22.214.171.1240), ID CC 2019 (126.96.36.1993), ID 2021 (188.8.131.52), and ID 2022 (184.108.40.206).
Steps to reproduce:
(1) Open InDesign
(2) Create a new empty document
(3) Create a text frame that is 100 mm by 100 mm
(4) Place Text4.txt
(5) Go Type > Story > check Optical Margin Alignment
The left margin should be somewhat ragged because the * character needs to be shifted left to make the margin appear straight. The right margin should be completely even because each line ends with the same word.
The left margin is correctly ragged. The right margin is ragged instead of being even.
Text4.jpg shows the result with the ragged right margin.
(1) This bug occurs with the World-Ready Paragraph Composer. It does not occur with the Adobe Paragraph Composer. Switching the composer produces the expected results.
(2) This bug is related to soft hyphens (0xAD). If these are removed from the data then the expected results are produced.
George Pabi commented
I've run into this issue a couple of times and I've always why. Would greatly appreciate a fix from Adobe
Barbara Jinright Altork commented
Would greatly appreciate getting this fixed!
Craig Webb commented
I've run into this problem using multiple scripts in SE Asia. Having this fixed would save a lot of work trying to find a font/justification combination that works properly.
Csaba Leidenfrost commented
I use World-Ready Paragraph Composer frequently. It would be really nice if you fixed this bug.
Gordon Thompson commented
Would be really helpful if this produced the expected results. Please do work on it.
Vladimir Vdovikov commented
Would really appreciate it to work properly.
Text5 removes possible confusion relating to the last line in the frame.
Heidi Rosendall commented
We really need assistance to get a clean right margin with World-Ready Composer and Optical Alignment.