Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hyperlink breaks after Cut/Copy and Paste

Using InDesign CC 2018 (but this has existed in previous versions, at least back to 2015).

If you have a Hyperlink set to another INDD file and you do NOT have that other file open ... then, if you Cut or Copy and Paste that hyperlink, it will break.

1. Open the attached Chapter 1.indd and Chapter 2.indd files. Notice in each file there is a single hyperlink to the other file.

2. Close ONE of the files and keep the other open.

3. Open the Hyperlinks panel to observe the state of the hyperlinks - they should be 'ok'…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. story editor

In my notes, the first character is always substituted with a missing font symbol. It looks fine in the main layout window, but this odd behavior occurs both in the Notes panel, as well as the same note when displayed in the story editor.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. extreme typing lag when using span columns

When using Span Column for headers, editing text anywhere in the document (headers, body text, and footnotes) becomes extremely slow, each letter typed taking several seconds to appear. When I change the header paragraph style to Single Column, the typing lag disappears. (If I change only the current header to Single Column, the lag remains; I have to eliminate Span Column from the entire document for typing speed to be normal.) Gets even slower the longer the editing session goes on. Per Adobe chat rep I reset prefs, updated to CC2019, latest Windows update, and updated video card driver, to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. find font

Find Font isn't working for certain fonts. See the attached gif. I'm trying to change a passage of text set it Calibri (which I don't have installed) but when I open Find Font, Calibri isn't listed there so I'm unable to swap it out

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. font selection jumps to top of list

When trying to select a font from the Character Dialog, after I scroll to almost the font that I want to select, the list jumps back up to the top, repeatedly. It's very frustrating.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Moving curser in text box with control key + arrows is not possible anymore

Before the update, you could move the curser by pressing the control key and the arrow keys. The Curser would jump one word by another in the appropriate direction. Now, that is not possible anymore. (InDesign 14.00.01)

Windows 7 Professional

Also the key for the right mouse klick (kontext menue) is not working anymore.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Drop Cap/Nested Style Broken in InDesign CC 2019

Since upgrading to InDesign CC 2019, when I edit a paragraph that has a nested style applied to the first line, the entire paragraph takes on the nested style. The paragraph behaves normally until I edit it. Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, the behavior is inconsistent. If I copy and paste the text into a new text box, the behavior does not occur, but if I link the existing text to that new box, it continues to happen.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

8. Static Endnotes

When importing Word files with Static Endnotes ticked from Word .doc files the endnote indicators within the text are no longer superior. There is no character style to be able to change these back. Without these indicators remaining superior makes the Static Endnotes a waste of time if you work in .doc instead of .docx. We always use .doc files as there are too many bugs using .docx - bits of text missing; loss of italics here and there etc. Using .doc files are always foolproof. We are typesetters manipulating text 12 hours a day and know all the pit…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

9. typekit fonts missing but return when InDesign is restarted twice

1. InDesign CC 13.1 x64

2. This bug happens every time I open an InDesign file that has a typekit font (any typekit font)

3. The typekit font will show as active in my Creative Cloud assets panel. The expected result would be for the file to open with the fonts synced.

4. Actual result: InDesign tells me that the fonts are not synced. The only way to fix it is to close and open the entire program twice.
    The third time the file is opened in the program, InDesign will show that the fonts are synced.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. type tool stops working / document freezes

My Type / Text Frame button randomly stops working and then the whole document freezes. I then exit out of the document, open it again and it either works for a few edits until it freezes again or I need to close/open numerous times until it works. I've done all the updates and this has been happening for a few weeks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Spelling Language - everything switched to English (UK) but keeps Arabic

I have switched Preferences and all other options to English (UK) but the Check Spelling sticks to Arabic. I am not able to change this setting.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Text Wrap function not available!

Can anyone help?! The Text Wrap function in InDesign is just not available. All I can see is a blank panel. Done the usual restarts etc. but still no joy and getting incredibly frustrating now.

Running latest update of InDesign on MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.4

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. running headers does not show numbers

Running headers does not show the auto numbering for a paragraph style. This would be so much better to have this rather than using a third party plug-in. The best of which is no longer supported for CC.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Changes are not tracked when you copy and paste text from more than one cell into a table

1. This exists in all version of InDesign and InCopy.

2. To reproduce (see corresponding images):

a) Create a new document with a table filled with text and in InCopy set it to tr.ack changes.

b.) Copy the contents of at least two cells.

c.) Paste the contents into different cells.

d.) Initially these changes will be showed as tracked in story/galley view.

e.) When the document is saved and the reopened these changes are no longer tracked.

3. The expected result is that the changes should remain tracked after the document is saved and reopened.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Problem with Bookmarks that contain special characters

I have a document with bookmarks that contain phrases with words containing special characters (specifically Italian accents, for example: L’ubiquità della collaborazione)

Then I have buttons at the top of the document. Each button links to a specific bookmark. If the bookmarks contain this characters/accents, the button don't work.
    So the buttons only work when linking to bookmarks not contain special characters/accents.

Solved the problem by changing the procedure I used to create bookmarks:

This is what WON'T WORK:
    - highlighting all the text and then create a bookmark.
    Pro: The bookmarks are added automatically with all the sentence that…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. InDesign CC 2018 macOS High Sierra - BUG FIX REQUEST - Text Variable File Extension

Steps: TYPE/ TEXT VARIABLE/ DEFINE/ FILE NAME/ EDIT / Select or de-select "Include File Extension"

Expected results: Should be able to add or remove file extension by select or de-selecting the "Include File Extension" check box.

Actual results: File extension cannot be removed by un-checking the "Include File Extension" box, when adding a text variable under the File name field... See attached...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. arabic

Cursor Direction when typing Arabic or other RTL languages. in Middle Eastern version ONLY.

1. All Middle Eastern versions (English يدعم العربية)

2. Type Arabic text. Place the cursor within text. Hold "Shift" key and click on right arrow key on the keyboard to select/highlight text. Cursor moves left and select next character on the left while clicking on right arrow.

3. To select a character to the left of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+left arrow) To select a character to the right of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+right arrow)

4. What actually is happening now and for…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Discretionary Line Break doesn't work in CC 2018

In InDesign CC 2018, text won't automatically break where a Discretionary Line Break is inserted—such as after an Em-dash. This feature worked in InDesign CS6.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Application quits

When I highlight text and go to the font menu, the application quits. This always happens the first time I do it. From then on, it works fine. Yet, it has become very annoying. I have a Mac running on High Sierra OS 10.13.2. I'm using InDesign 13.0.1.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. World Ready Paragraph Composer not working for Tibetan

Adobe 2017.1 release, build 12.1.0.56

Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer (AWRPC) for Tibetan fonts does not work in InDesign. While this was not an issue in CS4 since the Adobe Paragraph Composer (APC) was working well for at least two fonts (Jomolhari-ID and SambhotaUnicode), it has become an issue preventing us from using any later versions of InDesign: the APC became unusable for Jomolhari (our main font), and since the AWRPC was never completely working, we are now in a situation where neither APC or AWRPC works… (though SambhotaUnicode still works for APC only).

Jomolhari-ID can be downloaded here: https://collab.its.virginia.edu/access/content/group/26a34146-33a6-48ce-001e-f16ce7908a6a/Tibetan%20fonts/Tibetan%20Unicode%20Fonts/Jomolhari-ID-a3d.zip

Attached…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base