Adobe InDesign: Bugs
When filing a new bug, please provide:
- Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
- Steps to reproduce the issues
- Expected result
- Actual result
- Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
- or
7736 results found
-
Copy & paste within a numbered list can cause wrong numbering
If you create a numbered list which runs over 2 or more columns and copy some text within the list from one paragraph to another the numbering changes. In my example you have 2 times 1 in the list.
To make it even more crazy this only happens when you use the Adobe Single-line composer. If you work with the Adobe ParagraphComposer there's no problem at all.
If you change the text frame from 2 columns to 1 column and back the error disappears as well.
10 votes -
Adobe InDesign v18.1 is not saving file previews.
Updated to v18.1 and file previews are no longer visible in the finder. Mac OS 12.6.1
10 votes -
Resizing table cell causes InDesign to crash
- Adobe InDesign 17.0 x64 (2022).
- Resize the single-cell table so that the content overflows.
- Content should disappear and overflow symbol should appear.
- InDesign crashes.
- Uservoice doesn't allow .idml attachments, so the document is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ui8zrhk5ibm1kt/overflowCrash.idml?dl=0
10 votes -
publish online analytics
This failure to load is a disgrace. I need analytics to sell advertising. When is Adobe going to take its Publish Online program seriously?
10 votes -
Some text in tables is shifted to the right after the PDF export
After the PDF export, some texts in the table cells were shifted to the right in the PDF file. The texts are not correctly positioned one below the other. The values of the deviations from the correct position are up to 0.5 point, but different.
I tested it in InDesign CC 2018, 2020 and 2021.
The problem occurs if "Create Tagged PDF" is not activated in the PDF export options and metric kerning is selected. I've tried different fonts.
The PDF file with the suffix "High Quality Print" was created with the job options "High Quality Print" ("Create Tagged PDF" is active here), everything fits here.
The PDF file with the suffix "Press Quality" was created with the job options "Press Quality" ("Create Tagged PDF" is not active here), texts have been shifted here.After the PDF export, some texts in the table cells were shifted to the right in the PDF file. The texts are not correctly positioned one below the other. The values of the deviations from the correct position are up to 0.5 point, but different.
I tested it in InDesign CC 2018, 2020 and 2021.
The problem occurs if "Create Tagged PDF" is not activated in the PDF export options and metric kerning is selected. I've tried different fonts.
The PDF file with the suffix "High Quality Print" was created with the job options "High Quality Print" ("Create Tagged PDF"…10 votes -
Speed up cross references
Opening the cross reference panel can be painfully slow. This has been an issue since at least InDesign CC, but maybe now is another chance to fix this.
Behaviour is triggered by size of document and/or number of cross references. E.g. I'm working on a ~200+ pages document with about 150 cross references – both of which isn’t that extreme – and opening the panel takes around 4 minutes (yes, minutes). Interestingly enough, if the panel once opens and I change "Link to" from "paragraph style" to "text anchor", next time the panel opens instantly. Change it back to "paragraph style", go get a coffee in the meantime. As a workaround I split up the document into several documents and put them together in a book. In these smaller docs, opening the panel is more or less instant. However, managing books is not without other drawbacks and using only text anchors for cross references is limiting for no good reason. Pleas, fix this this time around.
Opening the cross reference panel can be painfully slow. This has been an issue since at least InDesign CC, but maybe now is another chance to fix this.
Behaviour is triggered by size of document and/or number of cross references. E.g. I'm working on a ~200+ pages document with about 150 cross references – both of which isn’t that extreme – and opening the panel takes around 4 minutes (yes, minutes). Interestingly enough, if the panel once opens and I change "Link to" from "paragraph style" to "text anchor", next time the panel opens instantly. Change it back to "paragraph…
10 votes -
hyphenation error
When hyphenating a word like 'Groot-Brittanië' the hyphenated word shows two dashes which of course is not accurate.
10 votes -
Share for Review from InDesign Book 'artifact' error
When I try to share chapters from a book for review the Share for Review either doesn't function beyond clicking the 'Share for Review' 'Create New Review' or populates the details with the wrong file name and then fails to proceed (giving an 'artefact' error.
I solved it by doing the chapters one at a time with no other chapters open and the InDesign Book closed - but it took me a few hours to work this out.
Even when doing the chapters separately their Title Field of the Share for Review document is sometimes the previous document's name and I have to go back a step or use the delete review copy option to get a fresh (and correct) start.
I'm on a 2015 MacBook Pro, Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.7, Using InDesign CC 16.1
When I try to share chapters from a book for review the Share for Review either doesn't function beyond clicking the 'Share for Review' 'Create New Review' or populates the details with the wrong file name and then fails to proceed (giving an 'artefact' error.
I solved it by doing the chapters one at a time with no other chapters open and the InDesign Book closed - but it took me a few hours to work this out.
Even when doing the chapters separately their Title Field of the Share for Review document is sometimes the previous document's…
10 votes -
Multiple Share for Review Issues
I work with a team of 6 designers and we are all experiencing regular and multiple different issues with Share for Review – we are all using the latest version 2021 and are needing to try multiple things each time with varied results to get Share for Review to work – these include:
1. Restarting Indesign
2. Logging and in about of Adobe CC
3. Trashing preferences
4. Saving a file CopyThs is extremely frustrating, wasting a lot of time and energy and money – I am sincerely hoping you are aware of all of these issues and are working hard to resolve it. Its a real shame as this feature is incredible when working properly. We rely heavily on this feature now so hopefully will be sorted soon ;)
One issue not shown in the screenshots is the blank screen we get sometimes when clicking the Share for Review feature.
I work with a team of 6 designers and we are all experiencing regular and multiple different issues with Share for Review – we are all using the latest version 2021 and are needing to try multiple things each time with varied results to get Share for Review to work – these include:
1. Restarting Indesign
2. Logging and in about of Adobe CC
3. Trashing preferences
4. Saving a file CopyThs is extremely frustrating, wasting a lot of time and energy and money – I am sincerely hoping you are aware of all of these issues and are…
10 votes -
Background Tasks Panel - Missing Progress Bars
Since InDesign 15.1, the progress bars are missing from the Background Tasks panel. Luckily, the percentages are still there but the bars are needed for quick progress reference.
10 votesThe issue has been fixed in the latest release of InDesign – InDesign 2021. The fix was also available in the previous version of InDesign – InDesign 2020 (v 15.1.2).
Please update to these newer versions of InDesign to get the fix.—
Adobe InDesign team -
page range for publishment in 'share for review' is set by last print/export job
When sharing for review, the published document can be limited to a certain page range, because it takes that setting from the last print/export job. The only workaround is to first reset that range in the print/export window. Then publish for review to see all of the pages.
Being able to select what pages to share (or not) would be a nice feature in the 'share for review' interface. This way, I would not have to make versions, separating artwork ready for review, and artwork that is not.
10 votesThe fix is now available in the latest InDesign update, 15.1.1
Please update to the latest version to get the fix.
—
Adobe InDesign team -
Publish online- Safari issues
Using ID 15.0.3
Using embed code on my protfolio page.
Videos cause rescaling of the page, videos are 1280x720 mp4s and have not been scaled on their pages
Videos also do not play on page load, you must click play on them.
None of these issues are present when using chrome.
10 votes -
No option to hide the Application Bar in 2020
I noticed in 2020 there is no longer the menu option under the Window menu to hide the Application Bar. I'm not sure why this was removed, for people who don't use it it's just in the way and unnecessary especially when you're trying to use InDesign on a small screen, every inch of screen space counts. Im sure there are people out there that use it, and that's great, I'm sure they find it useful in someway, but we all use the application differently so please allow us the ability to turn it on and off.
10 votes -
Use Auto-Sizing and Text Wrap Frame on causes application crash
Environment: InDesign 2020 (15.0.2 Japanese version) + macOS (confirmed with 10.15.3 and 10.14.6)
- create and connect two text frames
- set Auto-Sizing "Height and Width" on Text Frame Options
- Insert text into two frames full
- overlay graphic frames with Text Wrap settings ON
- move the graphic frame appropriately (drawing is not normal at this point)
- close documents with Command + W
During this operation, you will usually be asked to confirm the save, but suddenly InDesign will end and the application will crash.
Also, if you try while overwriting with Command + S without Command + W, you may not be able to save eventually.This problem does not occur on Windows version.
As a comparison, the same operation was performed with the English (North America) edition on macOS, but no problem occurred.
Therefore, it is highly possible that the problem is unique to the Japanese edition.Original trouble posted Adobe Community.
(There is a other post about User Voice, but this is a different issue.)
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign2020%E3%81%AE%E4%B8%8D%E5%85%B7%E5%90%88%E3%81%A7%E3%81%AF/m-p/10935672InDesign file is prepared separately.
https://adobe.ly/3agg1u8Environment: InDesign 2020 (15.0.2 Japanese version) + macOS (confirmed with 10.15.3 and 10.14.6)
- create and connect two text frames
- set Auto-Sizing "Height and Width" on Text Frame Options
- Insert text into two frames full
- overlay graphic frames with Text Wrap settings ON
- move the graphic frame appropriately (drawing is not normal at this point)
- close documents with Command + W
During this operation, you will usually be asked to confirm the save, but suddenly InDesign will end and the application will crash.
Also, if you try while overwriting with Command + S without Command + W, you may not be…10 votesHi
Based on internal investigation and customer comments, we have concluded that the issue got fixed in InDesign 15.0.2 and that issue happens with InDesign 15.0.1 version only.Please start a new thread in case you see the issue happen with InDesign 15.0.2
Thanks
-
60 Noto (foreign) fonts showing up in middle of drop down font listing.
I have recently upgraded to Adobe CC 2020, and also upgraded to Mac OS Catalina. when I open my font drop down menu I expect to see all of the 'foreign' (non english) fonts at the bottom of the list. Instead, there is a font 'Noto' with 60 font families in the menu. I've checked in 'Font Book' on my mac, and that font is NOT listed as an 'english' font, so I assume it SHOULD go to the bottom of the menu. These fonts show up in the middle of font listing of other CC programs as well (Photoshop and Illustrator)
I have recently upgraded to Adobe CC 2020, and also upgraded to Mac OS Catalina. when I open my font drop down menu I expect to see all of the 'foreign' (non english) fonts at the bottom of the list. Instead, there is a font 'Noto' with 60 font families in the menu. I've checked in 'Font Book' on my mac, and that font is NOT listed as an 'english' font, so I assume it SHOULD go to the bottom of the menu. These fonts show up in the middle of font listing of other CC programs as well (Photoshop…
10 votes -
Import PDF Comments - New issues
We are facing below issue with PDF Comments option. Please check and resolve the same in next release.
Point1: We received the insert marking with space, but the insert correction not imported in correct place in InDesign. It's moved to after the actual character. I've attached screen shot and samples FYR...
Point2: We have PDF corrections in figure group. While importing the PDF corrections in InDesign, the imported correction not placed to correction position as per PDF. It's moved to some other place.
Point3: We marked the deletion correction in PDF for entire sentence include period. But InDesign deleted the content only and not delete the period at end of the sentence.
Samples attached for all 3 points.
We are facing below issue with PDF Comments option. Please check and resolve the same in next release.
Point1: We received the insert marking with space, but the insert correction not imported in correct place in InDesign. It's moved to after the actual character. I've attached screen shot and samples FYR...
Point2: We have PDF corrections in figure group. While importing the PDF corrections in InDesign, the imported correction not placed to correction position as per PDF. It's moved to some other place.
Point3: We marked the deletion correction in PDF for entire sentence include period. But InDesign deleted the…
10 votes -
InDesign and Acrobat accessibility conflict
Adobe InDesign version: 2019 CC
We are currently trying to establish the best workflow in creating fully accessible PDF's for screen readers and I believe we have come across a bug in the communication between InDesign and Acrobat.
Quick summary:
H1 elements on multiple lines read as separate elements unless assigned manually in Acrobat
The Structure and Article order does not transfer to the PDFTo explain the issue clearly I have numbered the images in the process order.
- Image: 1 InDesign Accessibility setup.png
- I have setup ‘paragraph styles’ and used the correct ‘Export Tagging’ tags for each style.
- I have added the content I want to be read in Articles and put them in the correct order
- I have created tags and assigned all the content correctly
- I have reordered the ‘Structure’ to be in the reading order too
Please note - the order of the ‘Structure’ and or ‘Articles’ does not transfer to Acrobat (after selecting the correct export settings.
Image: 2 Interactive PDF with options selected.png
This image shows I have selected Interactive PDF and selected:
‘Create tagged PDF’
‘Use structure for Tab Order’Image: 3 Initial PDF review - incorrect content order.png
You can see the reading order does not match either the ‘Article’ or ‘Structure’ order from InDesign which I have set up.
You can also see that the elements are ‘Spans’ not H1, H2 and P tags.
Image: 4 Initial PDF review - Tag number ordering incorrect.png
You can see the screen readers reading order by the numbers shown on this image which again does not match the order I set up in InDesign.5 Initial PDF review - tag h1 splitting.png
The tag order doesn’t match the structure setup in InDesign
Also there is another bug when reading H1 tags on multiple lines.
You can see how the H1 tag is broken by 4 lines. This has been tested and you have to swipe 4 times to listen to the full H1 header.
- 6 Initial PDF review - tag h1 splitting - fix by order assigning.png In Acrobat I have then gone into the reading order and manually set the main header to a H1 tag. This then groups the text in the tag order window and fixes the issue of it being multilines. You can then also see the tag has changed from Span to H1.
The same thing needs to be done for the other multi layered heading tags.
I hope this is clear enough to understand.
Adobe InDesign version: 2019 CC
We are currently trying to establish the best workflow in creating fully accessible PDF's for screen readers and I believe we have come across a bug in the communication between InDesign and Acrobat.
Quick summary:
H1 elements on multiple lines read as separate elements unless assigned manually in Acrobat
The Structure and Article order does not transfer to the PDFTo explain the issue clearly I have numbered the images in the process order.
- Image: 1 InDesign Accessibility setup.png
- I have setup ‘paragraph styles’ and used the correct ‘Export Tagging’ tags for each style.
- I…
-
6 Initial PDF review - tag h1 splitting - fix by order assigning.png 649 KB -
5 Initial PDF review - tag h1 splitting.png 635 KB -
4 Initial PDF review - Tag number ordering incorrect.png 653 KB -
3 Initial PDF review - incorrect content order.png 659 KB -
2 Interactive PDF with options selected.png 62 KB -
1 InDesign Accessibility setup.png 772 KB
10 votesThe issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign – version 16.0
—
Adobe InDesign team -
Indents Break Burmese Type
Applying an indent to Burmese type in InDesign makes the text render incorrectly. Please see the example in the attached file.
InDesign 15.0.1 x64
10 votesThe issue has been fixed in the latest release of InDesign – InDesign 2021.
Please update to this new version of InDesign to get the fix.—
Adobe InDesign team -
ICML export doesn't preserve the paragraph styles of endnotes.
- Adobe InDesign 14.0.2
- Export a story containing endnotes as ICML
- Endnotes should be styled properly
- Endnotes lose the applied paragraph style
- UserVoice will not allow me to attach an IDML or INDD file. I can email it if needed.
What this means is that anyone using InCopy will lose the paragraph styling of their endnotes.
10 votesThanks for reporting the issue. We are looking into it
-InDesign Team
-
Spellcheck not working
The Spellcheck tool does not work as of version 14.0.1
The spellcheck window pops open but "spellcheck complete"message appears. Clicking "start" does nothing. This happens in all documents. All the settings and user dictionary seem correct.I tried selecting all the options in the "search" dropdown menu but nothing works. Spellcheck simply won't start.
10 votesThe issue has been fixed in both the latest release of InDesign – InDesign 2021 & the previous version of InDesign – InDesign 2020 (15.1.2).
Please update to either of these versions of InDesign to get the fix.—
Adobe InDesign team
- Don't see your idea?