Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Loss of typographic enrichment (italic, bold, etc.) on import

On CC2019 14.0.3 but also on previous versions.
    When I import a Miscrosoft Word text I sometimes lose part of the enrichment. On the attached example the majority of Bold are kept but some are gone. This is very problematic when working on documents of several hundred pages.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign, latest version. GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (\.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

GREP: find period (.) character followed by endnote reference number. Should be (.)(~U) but doesn't seem to work.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting the issue. As confirmed from you all, the crash issue is not happening with latest InDesign build. The only remaining issue is that of Grep not working when a period is followed by an endnote marker

We will look into the issue shortly.

-InDesign

3. Index entries lost when importing a .docx file with text frames into InDesign

InDesign version: CC 2018
    MS Word version: 2013

When I import a .docx file that uses text boxes/text frames/shapes into InDesign, most of the index entries within the .docx file is lost. When I import the same .docx file after removing all the shapes, all index entries remain intact.
    I've attached reference .docx and .indd files so that you can see what I mean. The .docx file (loremipsumindex.docx) has five index entries, that are lost when imported to InDesign (loremipsumindex.indd). On removing the text box from the .docx file (loremipsumindexwotxtbox.docx), the

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dictionary language list is grayed out everywhere in InDesign ME 2019, 2020 macOS Mojave

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
      Adobe InDesign Middle Eastern Version 2020 15.0.1.209

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      Install InDesign Middle Eastern Version, open the language List, all languages are greyed out.

3. Expected result
      Not to be greyed out

4. Actual result
      Language list is greyed out

5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
      Screenshot attached

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Black artifacts appear on rulers

When opening an older ID document and working on it, moving the mouse pointer around leaves black artifacts on the rulers, top and left. It also distorts the 0 point of the ruler in the upper left corner.

A quick zoom and return to 100% size will clear it, but with use, the rulers will accumulate black marks again.

This bug has persisted in many previous versions of ID, and is alive and well in v15 (2020).

I hope you can fix this quickly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Packaging dialogue location default

Please have the document packaging dialogue default to the folder the InDesign file your packaging from is located in. Up till InDesign 2020 this was the default, now it is packaging things wherever something was saved last.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Indesign Crashes Every time I Attempt to Change the Font With Arrow Keys

This just started happening this week. Every time I highlight my text, click on the font box, and attempt to cycle through fonts with my up and down arrow keys, Indesign freezes until I have to force it to quit.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Background tasks has crashed and I am no longer able to export .pdf's

The background tasks window is not letting me export to .pdf

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Book / Index

Indesign 2020 15.0, Indesign CC 2019 14.0.3, Indesign CC 2018:
    Crash when generating the index in a book with many chapters.
    The book has 156 chapters (from 1 page to 30 pages) - when updating the index reproducible crash.
    The book has 822 pages.

Every time I sent an error report - no reaction. I think it depends on the number of documents.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Loss of typographic enrichment (italic, bold, etc.) on import .docx files

On CC2019 14.0.3 but also on previous versions.
    When I import a Miscrosoft Word text I sometimes lose part of the enrichment. On the attached example the majority of Bold are kept but some are gone. This is very problematic when working on documents of several hundred pages.
    The problem occurs with .docx files but not with .doc files.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Output intent broken in 2020

Seems that Indesign 2020 shouldn't have been released since one of the most important things is broken.

We tell our customers to use PDF/X4 to export pdf's so that we get a correct output intent profile in the pdf.
    The problem is that it doesn't seem to matter what color settings I have, the output intent is always set to US Web Coated in the Output tab of the export window. So now everyone has to change the output profile manually in the output tab to the color profile setup in color settings. This is really bad and alot of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It looks like the Synchronize Color Settings in Bridge was not syncing the color settings in InDesign. Changing the settings once again in Bridge sorted out the issue of synchronization.
    Based on this information, closing the thread.
    Thank you Anders for prompt back & forth communication and help in troubleshooting the glitch.

Adobe InDesign team

12. Weight remains on text when exported to pdf even if changed to zero.

I am using InDesign CC 2019 14.01 x64.

Once a stroke weight has been added, if you then change the stroke weight back to zero, then when you export to pdf the pdf will have a stroke weight added to the text, even though the indesign document looks correct. It may not have the original amount of weight that was added, but it will definitely have what looks to be around a .2 weight added.

However, if you were to start a new document, then add stroke weight, then click edit - undo stroke weight, then it would export to…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Indesign color separations preview does not work correctly

The preview goes haywire when I turn separations on and off in InDesign. See screengrabs. Is there a workaround? I have ben unable to find one so far - are Adobe just choosing to ignore this issue?

• iMac Reina 5k, 27in, 2017

• Mac OS 10.14.5

• InDesign 14.0.2

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versios

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versions

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Exporting from Indesign. Default format is ALWAYS IDML

we are constantly exporting PDF's from Indesign to place in layouts. The last couple of updates, Indesign insists on having IDML as the default choice. It used to be once you export a PDF, the rest would default to the same format, but now Indesign just defaults to IDML every time & it is infuriating to open the folder that shud B full of PDF's and find one PDF & the rest IDML :>(

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Cross-references in a table breaks when moving table-cell.

When moving a table-cell that contains a cross-reference, it breaks and becomes a ”red flag”. What happens is that a text-anchor gets a "1" added to its name. A paragraph anchor just breaks.

CC2020 15.0.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Export jpg

Hi!
    When I create banners in Indesign 14.0.1 I use hires images as TIF and exporting it to JPG. The final files in JPG end up with corrupt pixels. I have to place a lowres JPG in Indesign to be able to export it as a correct JPG.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  PNG/JPEG/EPS Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. there isnt' Indesign 2018 (13.0) from Download legacy versions of Creative Cloud apps

Hi,
    I can't find Indesign 2018 (13.0....) from the page of "Download legacy versions of Creative Cloud apps" after updating to Indesign 2020. I have the same issue for my two account, Windows 10 and macOS 10.14, any idea? Thanks
    Andrea

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. shared destination hyperlinks do not get inserted into exported epub 3 (InDesign CC 2020 v15.0)

I have a document with many shared destination hyperlinks. When I go to export this document out to an epub 3 file, non of the shared destination hyperlinks are inserted into the epub file. This is a huge problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Multipage PDF Export failure -Backgrond task running constantly

PDF export constantly runs as background task with zero percent progress until I force quit InDesign, delete the temp recovery file, and delete the "zero bytes" PDF that InDesign failed to genereate. If I leave it and reexport once running InDesign again it happens again. I've found it takes deleting the recovery file (.idlk) and the PDF that has zero data at the location I tried exporting to. Once I do that it seems to work. My InDesign file is multiple pages (32). Smaller page counts and data files seem to work although my InDesign file isn't that large. Once…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base