Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6491 results found

1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. text

text contorn doesn't work, the box is empty. Any idea?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Export from book file default to wrong filetype

CC 2017 12.0.0.81
    Using the regular export menu, export an interactive PDF. That becomes the default. But now I want to export a Print PDF from the book panel, it keeps defaulting back to interactive PDF. So to make its I don't have to remember to choose Print PDF (for every single export), I have to first export a random Print PDF using the regular export menu, just to switch the default in the Export Selected files to PDF option.

The two export locations: File > Export and using the flight from the Book panel, shouldn't be tied together. They…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Mistakenly copying layer name instead of layer content

Nobody command-clicks the an Indesign layer hoping to copy the layer name, but much of the time when attempting to copy the layer content, the layer title is the only thing brought into the clipboard.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

5. I am using InDesign CC 2017 on my laptop (windows) but unable to use Publish Online feature.

I am using InDesign CC 2017 on my laptop (windows) but unable to use Publish Online feature. Error #1H appears when I tried to publish a document online.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Windows 10 PC. VBA for Excel and the InDesign CC2017 library are not functioning.

I have a serious problem. I have a new Acer PC Windows 10. I am using Office 365 Excel VBA to control InDesign CC2017. The InDesign CC2107 Type Library is not functioning with the VBA. I have been using this setup since CS3 to automate InDesign actions and provide solutions for automating print production.

I am trying to start a $4000 project using these same InDesign capabilities but am unable to get anywhere. I am most disappointed and upset at this occurrance and am seeking some assistance from Adobe. Attached is the software code that I am trying to implement.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Incorrect kerning on justified text

InDesign v. 12.2.0.56

I'm working in a book file, and this problem seems to occur at random. The kerning in the first word of a line of justified type is incorrect visually, but when you check it with the cursor, it is the correct number. If you change it, it jumps and appears to be correct again, visually, but if you save, close, and reopen the file, it is incorrect again.

It is problematic because when a PDF is exported, the incorrect kerning is what gets exported.

The problem has occurred in two different books I have worked on with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Colour picker turns everything to blank with strokes, applies stroke

Colour picker is broken. Everything is checked, but when I use it, it turns the object picked from into blank with black stroke. When applied, it adds a black stroke. This is true of text, objects, and links. Deleting local settings changed nothing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Table headers disappear when pasting

Several times now I've cut & pasted a table from one part of my document to another only to find the headers disappear. Inserting a row makes the headers reappear.

I'm usig 12.1.0.56 x64 build.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Das Fenster Dateininformationen ist unsichtbar! Aber man muss es mit "Enter" bestätigen, um weiterarbeiten zu können.

Fenster zeigen, dass die Metadaten wieder angepasst werden können (wie bei früheren Versionen).

Indesign CC 2017.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Text rendered bold when using transparencies

When using transparent boxes or png images, InDesign will randomly render some text bold. This occurs both on screen and when printing. The only way to avoid it is by not using transparencies, which is annoying. People have been complaining about this since 2011! Get your sh*t together adobe. Come on.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We will review it shortly.

-InDesign Team

12. When opening two documents as tabbed one window group, ID does not auto-fit the resulting taller window onto full screen

Make adding the additional document tab fit the resulting tabbed window into the same space the old one without tabs occupied.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Interface while using : no preview

When I use the scale tool with MORE than one text block, I can't see the block content while checking the "preview" box. I can only see changing the size of the blocks but they seem empty up to clicking on "OK" button. This happens only with many text boxes (or block, I don't know how you call them in english) . You can see a screenshot linked to my message. If I do the same with many image boxes, all is ok. If I do the same with only one text bloc, all is ok.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. hotkeys aren't working

displaying high quality images
    export file

The hotkey for both of these features is not working most of the time.

Also, hitting enter for saving files in the save window isn't working either. But it does work in Illustrator.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Shortcuts messed up after update to CC

InDesign CC 12.1.0.56 (2017.1)
    MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

(1) The default super- and subscript shortcuts (cmd+shift+= and ctrl+cmd+shift+=) do not work on mac num keyboard. Had to change shortcuts.
    (2) When using the default shortcut for italics (cmd+shift+I) the text is changed to "Heavy Italic" instead of "Italic" with the (legal) Avenir Next font family.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Screen flickering - Screen turns black when moving objects.

When i drag and drop a Textframe my Screen flickers black for a second - almost every damn time. This happens for me and most of my colleagues and it is horrible to work with.

I feel like it got worse after installing the latest "Tablehead" fix that fixed the disapearing tableheads.

Build 12.1.0.56
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
    iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5", 2015)
    3,3 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

2nd Monior is a DELL U2414H, 23,5" at 1800p

This is happening on quite a lot of machines in…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The issue reported is at Apple’s end.
    Hence, Apple is recommending to update macOS to 10.15.x version in order to resolve this issue.

Please update your macOS to Catalina. If you still face this issue in macOS 10.15 do add your comment in this thread.

Adobe InDesign team

17. Hyperlinks

I use a lot of hyperlinks in a document which link to the individual products on our website for online ordering and stock levels.

The Hyperlink panel frequently corrupts - I lose the ‘traffic light’ link status indicator and location of the link (page No.) - meaning I have to remove InDesign and execute a clean install to get the feature back.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. crash

After the opening of the 5° files Indesign Crashes, i have to open a massive number of files. I make a fast check on my PC and the system works with half of the resources available. So i think the problem is not my pc but the program. I have an HPZ240 Tower Workstation. RAM 16GB. Processor Inte(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @4.20GHz and the Hard disk it's an SSD 500gb. The operative sistems it's a Windows 10 pro. The version of the program InDesign build 12.1.0.56 release 2017.1.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Profiles equal to the Output-Intend get lost on PDF-Export

When exporting a PDF all profiles equal to the Output-Intend (which in my case is the Document-Colorspace PSO Coated V3) get lost when exporting.

I have created a small test-file with an PSO Coated V3 Image and an ISO Coated V2 Image.

When Exporting as PDF X4 with Output-Intend Set to PSO Coated V3 the Image that IS PSO Coated V3 looses its profile and the same for the ISO Coated V2 when the Output-Intend is set to that.

This is horrible for Colormanagement. I've been in contact with "Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG" and they suggested to report this to Adobe…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Problem with publish online

Hello, I want to publish online my brochure, but there are display errors with places images with layer-effects (multiplicate) see the screenshots. Please fix it! Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base