Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6475 results found

1. PDF Export

InDesign CC2019 / PDF Export Print (Druck)
    It is no longer possible to export correctly to PDF x3 or x4; and it is no longer possible to change the export settings of colour profiles (for example to FOGRA 39 or ISO Coated etc…)

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

26 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Imported PDF not previewing in high quality

When placing exported PDFs from Adobe XD, High Quality Display previews don't show properly when GPU Performance is selected. You must turn off GPU performance or select Typical Display.

MacOS 10.12.6 mid 2015 MacBook Pro.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. beim sRGB jpg export ist Adobe RGB Profil eingebettet

Beim Export eines sRGB-JPG's aus InDesign 2019 ist in dem Foto dann Adobe RGB-Farbraum eingebettet.
    Die Farben sind eigentlich korrekt (entsprechen dem sRGB-Farbraum), aber es ist eben fälschlicherweise das Adobe RGB-Etikett eingebettet, so dass die Farben dann falsch interpretiert werden.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. content aware fit and linked images problem

Content aware fit is a great idea and is potentially a real timesaver when importing images but I've had to disable it as when updating existing linked images that have been adjusted, rather than keep their size/scale as before they all auto-fit and this is a nightmare when you have carefully placed images such as logos in a long document.

Could do with an option to auto fit on image import only, or an option to override when updating image links. Unless I've missed something?

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

5. autocomplete texts in document info form

in the form of document info the autocomplete feature doesn't work. so when i want to add the author of new document, i must write it whole everytime.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. [Limited Undo] InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0) strg+z / cmd+z doesn't work properly

With the new Version the option to go back some steps seems to be cut at some point. I have been working on a couple of files now and going steps back with strg+z works for 2-3 steps. Somehow random but definitely not the way it used to work.

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit:
    Hello All,
    We acknowledge those comments where some of us have mentioned that the issue is still not fixed; we are already working on it.
    Please note that, in the earlier release we had fixed few cases which were leading to the issue.
    There are still few scenarios which are yet to be investigated and fixed.
    Unfortunately, this particular thread has become too generic.
    We request you to provide your comments in below provided new thread. Please do mention your observation while submitting the comment. It will help us in our ongoing investigation.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38991835-undo-not-working-properly-in-indd-2020

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu…

7. Indesign performance issue : CC 2019 uses all the system memory on Mojave

So basically i cant't use InDesign since updating to the new version. Even if it's idle without anything open, it starts to use up all the system memory in macOs Mojave.

This is what happens:
    1. Open InDesign
    2. Doesn't matter if im working or it's just open
    3. After about 5 minutes, there's a system alert of Mojave saying, InDesign is using 550 GB of system memory and there's nothing left to work with.

System:
    iMac Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14)
    3 GHz Intel Xeon W (10 cores)
    64 GB RAM
    Radeon Pro Vega 64

It's a new iMac with…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. In Design Online Post has changed with updated

We have been using the Publish online Feature for a year. Today, the lastest post displays all the hyperlinks. Attached are two browser versions. Windows looks much like Chrome. Thoughts

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you please let us know the exact behaviour difference that you are facing in Publish Online after InDesign 2019 update.
    Detailed steps along with your Browsers, Platform, OS and a short video will be very helpful.
    You can directy reach me out at sakverma@adobe.com

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

9. Indesign performance issue : slow opening, saving, exporting files

InDesign taking up to 5 minutes to open a file. The file is a one-page document. Two minutes of nothing, then 2 minutes of a blue status bar, then another minute watching the tiny status bar on the application icon in the doc. Once the file is "open" it isn't visible until I toggle back and forth between InDesign and another application. Saving, even after changing only one text character, takes 55 seconds. Exporting a 30 page document to PDF took 20 minutes.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

10. Data Merge ignores files when a header field is called 'table'

If Data Merge tries to select a data source where one of its header fields is called 'table' (all lowercase), it fails to import (InDesign v 13.0.1). It doesn't seem to matter which column it's in, but changing it to anything else (e.g. 'Table' with uppercase 'T') seems to fix it.

Tried it on 2 machines, same result. Adobe Customer Care on Twitter confirmed they could replicate it and suggested I post it here.

Short video attached illustrating the issue.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue. We are able to reproduce the bug.

-Aman

11. Splitting large documents using Extendscript Toolkit script hangs InDesign v.14 for several minutes

Running script (extendscript) that takes a large document and splits it into individual documents based on their section hangs for several minutes before completing task in InDesign v14. Prevous version (v13) of InDesign did not have this hanging issue and complete task quickly. Attached is the script (and referenced script) used.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Endnote Font Size Problems

Version: InDesign 14

Steps: When placing an endnote in a frame "Loaded by Place Curser", the font size used for the end note does not honor the font size determined by the style. This includes when the paragraph style is set in the endnote options, as well as when the paragraph style is applied by selecting the endnote text.

1. Create endnote style, and set it in endnote options
    2. Set endnote text frame to "loaded by place curser" in endnote options
    3. Add an endnote to the text, and place endnote text frame
    4. The Endnote text added to this frame does not…
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Scaling of arrowheads on paths is so wrong

If I put an arrow head (or any other of the predefined startings/endings) on a path and scale it, it barlely changes the actuall size of the starting ending, even with crazy huge precentage changes, like 1% and 200%. See screenshot from InDesign CC 2019.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. content aware fit frame

I just updated to cs2019. Selected the new feature 'content aware fit to frame'. Created a new document and inserted a new frame, tried to place a PDF image, keeps crashing. Turned the feature off and all ok again. Anyone else having this problem?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. workspace

After a crash, no workspaces will load properly, neither pre-existing nor created. Right now I have to move between Essentials Classic and Interactive for PDF just to try to get most of the tools - though some tool I still cannot access. There is no top bar and few tools that load, plus the files when they open are sized tiny and hiding. I have to float in window to get them to appear.

I have tried to reset them and create a new workspace, but cannot get anything to help...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

17. InDesign 14.0 x 64 Margin won't change since software update

When I try to increase or decrease margins, nothing happens. It used to work great until my last software update.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

19. index does not update

currently Indesign CC2018 and 2019 does not update an existing index but leaves empty text fields....confused

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
    this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
    the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.

suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base