Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. create outlines

v 14.02
    In previous versions, when creating outlines, the newly converted text could simply be ungrouped and the "letters" could be moved and manipulated independently. Now the function is creating each line as a graphic with the only option of releasing compound path to separate the letters. This is hugely inconvenient in a larger block of text. Is this a bug or some new function/option that can be changed? Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InD responding slowly

This isn't a "bug" per se, but InD has slowed to a crawl when using. Doesn't matter if I am trying to select text, change tools, or click on a menu item. It's been going very slow for a while now, doesn't matter the file. I have tried to trash preferences and reinstall InD, and nothing has changed it. Oh, and I just have major lag, not a spinning ball.

I am Win10, InD CC 14.0.2. The only plug-in I am running is Suitcase Fusion, and that is up to date as well.

Help please, as InDesign is unusable at…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Stroke Drawing Order not working

InDesign 2019 on MacOS 10.13.6

Steps to reproduce
    Define table stroke using the proxy in the Control panel (see screenshot) and try to change the Stroke Drawing Order.

Expected result
    Stroke Drawing Order "Row Strokes In Front" should be as selected in "Table Options"

Actual result
    Row Strokes are not in front. All strokes which are altered using the control panel options remain unchanged.
    If a new table is setup using only the menu options (Cell Options > Strokes And Fills) everything works fine.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the Table Setup dialog, do the following:

In the Row Strokes section (2nd tab), choose Alternating Pattern : Every Other Row and then make the First 1 Rows and Next 1 Rows the exact same settings.

In the Column Strokes section (3rd tab), choose Alternating Pattern: Every Other Column and then make the First 1 Columns and Next 1 Columns the exact same settings.

In the Table Setup section (1st tab), you can set the Table Border as 0mm and Stroke Drawing Order as ‘Row Strokes in Front’.

Most probably this should help you get the results you are after. Try this out and let us know if it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

5. Shortcut for duplicate in InDesign doesn't work on MacBook Pro

The keyboard shortcut for Duplicate (option+command+shift+D) in Indesign 14.0.1 doesn't work on my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.14.3).
    The work around is to either Alt+Drag or to select the item, select the Edit Menu and then hit the shortcut.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Wrong menu selection launched from menu bar

Unlike the issue explained by another user below, my main menu bar selection opens correctly but the item selected from the main list is not launched. Instead, a random command is used. Example: choosing 'Export...' from File menu launches the Print Booklet dialog box. The problem happens randomly about every week or so. The only solution I've found is relaunching InDesign.

I'm attaching 3 videos of the problem.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. hyperlink is present for imported document outside of visible cropped area

I have 1 document (doc1) placed into another (doc2). In doc2, doc1 is cropped to not include a footer, which happens to have text in the form of URL, but not explicitly set as a hyperlink in the document. When a PDF of doc2 is exported, a hyperlink is created on the page where the URL would be if it were visible. The link is in the table at the end of the Jordan row over 0.086.

Files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s88rtkmh5hz525e/Archive.zip?dl=0

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Master page image appear in wrong page in page layout 32(page number) indesign CC 2017.0

1 . Indesign Version CC 2017.0
    2. Master page image appear wrongly in page 32. If we go to CO master page and change the position of the image on the master page, the image on 32 will get disappear. But if open same file CC 2017.1 we don't have that image.
    3. In page 32 master page image was appear wrongly, Actually that image was not to come there.

4. In page 32 only text has to be there.

5. I attached indesign file and link and also the video showing the issue in the below link
    https://we.tl/t-OvxpJfK5RM

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Open hyperlinks in new tab

You could update the software with the function to open hyperlinks in new tab within PDFs and other formats. This is very necessary.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Lag in InDesign 14.0.1 when doing ANYTHING.

Lag in InDesign 14.0.1 when doing ANYTHING. Every time I click my mouse, make a move, do a single thing there is a 20-40 second LAG. This is beyond annoying. I am on a very tight deadline just like 99% of your other users. YOU NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT ADOBE!!!!! And don't you dare tell me it's been figured out. I'm starting a new post per your request on March 26, 2019. FIX THIS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Cannot "place" MathType eps file correctly into InDesign - InvalidFont error

InDesign CC 13.1

Steps to Reproduce

1.In a ID document, use File > Place
    2.Select the attached eps file, which is an eps file created by MathType
    3.Place the eps file

Expected Result: The eps to place the image correctly

Actual Result: Before the eps is placed, the error is seen: "InvalidFont error occurred creating the screen display for the imported EPS. The EPS will draw as a gray box. The actual EPS may not print and will not export as PDF. Do you still want to place this file? Yes/No?

Clicking Yes results in only a gray box.

*Cannot…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Animation preview window does not resize in Windows

The animation window does not maximise or even resize in Windows. The issue doesn't seem to be in Mac devices

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking and "Auto-fit" options do not seem to work.

I am using Indesign 14.0

When I relink files, Indesign changes the scale and placement of images automatically, regardless of whether the preserve image dimensions option in the file handling box is checked or unchecked, and whether the "auto-fit" button in the tool menu is checked or uncheked.

Preferences > File Handling > "Preserve Image Dimensions when Relinking"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Distorted Text and Graphics in high sierra

When opening a previously created file, I noticed small visual artifacts in the rendering of vector graphics in the file. As I zoomed in to inspect it, the artifacts began jumping all over the place, and as I zoomed in further, text on the page began presenting the same behavior.

Using InDesign 2017.1, Build 12.1.0.56 on a 2016 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM), running macOS High Sierra 10.13.

192 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

200 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Closed: Fixed  ·  Sumit Garg responded

This is a macOS10.13 issue, specific for some Intel GPU cards. Apple has fixed(partially) this issue inside macOS10.13.4 released build.

Following are the workaround for resolving this issue.
    1) Update your mac machine to latest macOS10.13.4. Here, Apple has fixed this issue to some extent. You will face very less number of rendering issues.
    2) Disable GPU preview and set display performance as typical.

Once you have updated to macOS10.13.4 .You might still face some rendering issues. Since, Apple has not fixed this issue completely.
    Please switch off GPU rendering for these cases and report a separate post for tracking.

17. Cross Reference take forever to create

With a document containing many tables and already some CrossReference in it (not from or to table itself), creating a new cross reference take forever (minutes) to load the New Cross Reference Windows. The windows open at [All Paragraphs].

This is with 14.0.2. Same bug on 13.1, but works perfectly on version cc2017 12.1
    This on MacOS 10.13.6 but same issues on Windows.

In CC2017, the new cross reference window open with no paragraph style selected. It should be the same in CC2019.

Test file upon request only.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. IDML save changes Object Styles/Transparency Settings

When I export a package the resulting IDML and INDD files are different.

In all cases, the IDML file appears to randomly assign different transparency settings to random objects across any number of pages. One Object Style was changed to 60% opacity when it should have remained at 100%. In another a drop shadow was applied at 75% and Opacity was set to 60% for the image inside a graphic box, when neither effect had been turned on for the content of the box object.

It has taken me awhile to track down. My partner was opening idml versions of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. lexmark printer not printing all elements

We use Lexmark Laser Printer model CS820
    Windows 10 OS

We use our indesign file as a template to print custom certificates.
    We change the name on the certificate for each customer.
    The printer will not print all elements of a design: i.e. the images and text are missing.

And

Files will often not print immediately but will 'sit' in the printer memory for up to several minutes before printing.

For a print business this is not acceptable. Please advise with working solutions.

We have a Lexmark CS827 and this works fine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Accessibility-Tag Tree-Data Merge

ID 14.0.1, Mac Pro, Sierra 10.12.6
    Tags are not in proper order in exported PDF
    Using Data Merge to create many pages of text and table from large Excel file Col A-FF. Each row produces one page. The first section of the page tags are at the top of the tag tree, followed by the first section of each successive page. Then the Next tags (from the tables) are listed, again by successive pages.
    To remediate, all (table) tags have to be moved to the proper page.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base