Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6320 results found

1. InDesign Element changed/defective GREP-Styles after adding it to the cc library

Indd Version 2022, 17.2.1

The following Bug occurs: I created an Indd Element with assigend object- and paragraph styles using GREP-styles. If I copy that Element from document to document, it will work just fine. Once I add it to the cc library, the GREP-Styles become defective, even though nothing was changed.
    The defective Styles then stay within that one element.

futhermore, any object styles using auto-sizing are deformed when placing them from the library.

the screenshot with the superscript 1 is correct, once in libraries, the 1 won't be superscript anymore.

The torn yellow box is what happens once…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Font window

Font window frozen in center of screen, won't go away. Using Indesign 18.0 for MacOS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. PDF from Indesign 18.5 document that has placed .indd files fails to RIP on EFI Fiery RIPs

I have a file which is a page of placed indd files to make up a label sheet.

Since updating from 18.3 to 18.5 this file and other similar files fail to RIP on two different (one xerox and one konica) EFI fiery systems.

Downgrading back to 18.3 fixes the issue.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. why does my keyboard space key bring up the save or quit command in InDesign?

I have updated InDesign 2024 v.19.1. to the latest version. Mac OS 14.3.1. This Only happens in adobe indesign, I can get a space with the space bar in this very box and other applications, but NOt in my indesign document. I have to copy and paste a space to get one in my document. You can imagine how that slows my work.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. New document

When I want to create a new document via the "File" > "New" dialog box, a document setting appears to create a document. The entire program remains stuck. I can then force close In-Design and restart it. As a result, open files are lost. To create a new document I can only open an existing document and save it again as "save as",

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. fontproblem – strange ligatures – invisible font

Hi there

In InDesign CC23 we have the problem that we sometimes have some issues with ligatures. We have the font Minion Pro activates in the Library. and somehow have the problem, that the ligatures appear to be a completely different character, see the screenshot.
    the problem could be resolved by deleting the Minion Font from the application folder > Ressources > Required > Fonts. the Ligatures changed back to the correct character. Or i deactivate the minion regular in the finder. But i need the font for other apps as well, so i need to activate the regular font…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Can't place jpgs at actual size.

It would be amazing if you could place jpgs at actual size instead of InDesign placing them at sizes that are apparently (based on resolution?)

If I have an 5 inch square jpg file, the resolution should not have anything to do with what size it places at. If it is 5x5 and 300 dpi, and I place it in InDesign, it should be 5x5. If I have a 5x5 jpeg that is 50 dpi, and I place it in InDesign, it should also be 5x5 after placing. I shouldn't have to SCALE something I place to get it to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. story direction missing indesign 19.2

I don’t know how, but I activated story direction right to left when i created a frame with columns. I went crazy to disable it, so i found that there is an option which is missing in my indesign version (19.2. italian language). Is there a way or a keyboard shortcut to fix it? Thanks for your help

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Anchor a group of texts in a text

I use Indesign 19.1. I have a group of texts that I need to anchor in the main text frame. As there is no anchor point on my group, I try to cut it and paste it where I need it to be anchored. I place my cursor where it should be, and paste, but nothing happens. So, I tried the same manipulation in Indesign 18.1 and it works. Can you tell me why it doesn't work anymore, and how can I anchor my group of texts. Is there another way?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Export or Save dialog box partially hangs if you go to another app's window.

When exporting to PDF or saving, if you go to another app or Finder window while the dialog box is open, it partially hangs. For example, if you've called up the Export box then hop over to Finder to verify the name/location of the folder to which you want to export, then go back to ID to complete the export. Everything that is normally blue ("save" "export," the name of the file, etc.), turns gray. You can click on it but nothing happens. You have to either cancel and close/reopen the document, or if you have unsaved changes, it hangs…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Indesign Version 19 - Still can't reorder parent pages via drag and drop or otherwise

Please fix this bug!! We used to be able to reorder the parent pages and for the last two versions it's impossible to do. This is necessary because parent pages can be used for elements that repeat throughout the document - like Appendixes. It would be nice to have them in order so that other designers will know what they're looking at! Thanks!

FYI - I believe this is only an issue on Mac. A coworker using a PC has no problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Balance Column Freezes InDesign (MAC/PC) and InDesign Server

InDesign Server 18.1, InDesign (18.2.1, 18.3 on Mac and PC) (also did this in 17 but was hoping better in 18)

(Zip and indd files are not being allowed to upload). Please contact me for the file.

System freezes when selecting the frame on the last page and balancing the column.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. The magnification option is gone from the menu bar in InCopy 2024

I'm not sure if this was a strange UI decision, a preference I can't find or a bug. It seems that the magnification dropdown in InCopy 2024 that was beside the "Help" button is gone.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Small implied movement when selecting elements

I have an issue with the latest versions of InDesign.
    Whenever I select any element/object/text/images etc inside my Page or any pages, there is a delay in the selection with a tiny registered displacement of the selected object by one or 2 pixels.

My only solution to fix it is to Cmd+z to invert the latest action that resulted from it. I didn't have that issue a month ago and it is very disruptive, could say that it is anti-productive. I am running Indesign on the latest version of Mac OS sonoma on a M1 max machine. The problem occurs…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Export Interative PDF

The crash/error occurs when I export the interactive pdf with a little over 2000 pages at the almost end of the exporting process. so I downgraded the version of InDesign to 18v and now it works fine. Still, I have many files already made with updated indesign (19v).

I am a Mac OS user.
    Please please fix this issue. I desperately need this to be fixed for my work.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign opens documents in read only after upgrading to InDesign 2023(18.0)

Indesign CC 2023 version 18.0 Files open as “Read Only”
    As soon as updated, some files have started to open “Read Only” (RO)
    My OS: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19044 or 21H2
    PC Desktop
    I am working remotely through a VPN to a server IP address
    I have Indesign 2023 18.0 , and Indesign CS6 installed. I have not opened the CS6 in years. Also noted: My machine does not automatically uninstall the former version when it updates. I manually uninstalled Indesign 2022 after I started using the 2023. At first I thought the RO problem was a conflict, so that…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign 19.0.1 hangs when trying to place image. Mac Sonoma M2 chip.

InDesign has been crashing and freezing a lot recently. Why hasn't Adobe supported Mac's M2 chip yet??

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Gray boxes behind photos in Share for Review

I have been using the new Share for Review for the last little while and am enjoying receiving feedback directly on my documents for import into InDesign. However, I recently went to a published file and noticed that all of the images in my design now have a light gray square behind them. Additionally, the colours and blending on some of the images are all off or look odd. The gray boxes appear on all of my previously uploaded documents, and I've checked from multiple computers and they all appear to show these boxes.

Please refer to this thread for…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. swatch / colour display bug IND 19.2 - not all swatches used are appearing in swatch panel

New update Indesign 19.2 swatches / colours in document not all appearing in swatches panel - you've always been able to easily delete a swatch in indesign and it'll delete everywhere if, for example, you paste something from another document and it brings in a conflicting colour, without having to use "find swatch" (which is great for finding where it's used but not as fast if you don't care where it is).

Yesterday I noticed not all swatches used are appearing however. A text box I had used a colour background that definitely isn't in swatches. I also noticed one…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base