Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Indesign performance issue : Object movement

Indesign is always giving me rainbow wheel even if I edit small slides.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.

In the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3
    We have fixed multiple scenarios where the movement of objects was found to be slow.

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

2. InDesign CC 2018 workspace loading incorrectly

Since InDesign 2015 I have had the workspace customised for daily use however every time I restart InDesign my workspace shows it’s still selected however the panels collapse and some disappear entirely. I need to select reset workspace every single time without changing anything else and it goes back to my setup.

Is there a way to make this remember, as I thought saving workspaces is what this is supposed to be doing? And considering that I can reset my workspace and it does come back then something else is happening.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

3. ID 13.1 – no longer accepts mp4 media format?

InDesign 13.1

EXISTING mp4s placed in ID file (for viewing in exported Interactive PDF) no longer work (link not found (yellow triangle), and then when manually re-linked, link shows error in palette (red circle question mark).

Trying to place NEW mp4s, and although file(s) can be found, nothing is placed. Have googled and found nothing.

Updates to CC appear to have happened overnight, and I didn't have any issues last week.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Through the single page PDF created from facing the text is displayed

Through the PDF size under specified conditions, will display the text. Print out also confirmed.
    Please see the link below.
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2483538

Translations by Microsoft® Translator

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. World-Ready composer breaks hyperlinks for Publish Online

When the WR composer is applied to text, it breaks hyperlinks when the document is published via Publish Online. The hyperlinks work fine when the document is sent to PDF. The hyperlinks work fine when the WR composer is changed to the Adobe Paragraph Composer.
    This is to correct the title of this bug report, please reference it: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/33786565-publish-online-breaks-hyperlinks

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

6. 34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

7. Crash when searching for column break

Indesign 2018 crashes when searching for column break (~M) – with Find/Change dialog box or via script. It works for me with CC 2017. Not yet tested with CC2019.

The document with 500 pages was newly created with CC2018. It was tested with several computers, always with the same result.

Example document can be downloaded here: https://adobe.ly/2SGVPsy.

Happens in CS6, CC 2019 as well.

Find/Change for Column Break in GREP tab of Find/Change crashes InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-Aman

8. Based-on Master Pages don't inherit Primary Text Frame

When we create new documents with facing pages and Primary Text Frames on, new master pages are then created based on that original master page.

I would expect them to inherit the same threading and Primary Text Frame designation as the original, but they don't. Only the text frame on the right hand master page is designated as part of the primary text flow, and the frames are no longer threaded. Designers have to check every based-on master, re-designate the primary text flow, and re-thread the frames.

The steps to reproduce are:
    1. Create a new document with Facing Pages…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. ID crashes when pasting text

ID becomes very unstable if you copy and paste text from one text box to
    another that contains a paragraph style with a nested line format.
    If it doesn‘t crash immediately, move around the cursor with the arrow keys and try to paste text again.
    Please find attached a document to reproduce this bug

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10. No window appears when I open the app, not even when opening a previous document. Mac 10.13.2

No window appears when I open the app, not even when opening a previous document. Running Mac 10.13.2 on MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012. I tried using the 2017 version and no window appears there either! I need to do my work today!!!!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update:
    This is regarding the comments where our users are still facing the issue.
    Please note that this particular fix caters to the scenario where the UI of InDesign won’t show up even if the app has been launched successfully.

In case you are still facing the issue, please create a new thread with the specifics related to the issue.
    We are closing this particular thread for now.
    -———————————————————————————

Hello All,

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us…

11. Indesign CC 2018 Crash

Issues with the updated Indesign crashing when inserting any text or images. Comes up with Indesign stopped working crash error.

Major issue as this is part of my job... How do I revert back to the old one whilst this is fixed??

Thanks

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

12. InDesign still crashing when saving to external server folder/alias

I updated to the new version of InDesignCC 2018 this morning (the November '17 update, version 13.0.1). Supposedly this was supposed to fix the Save/Save as crash but I just took the same steps as before and the crash is still happening. The steps are as follows:
    1. Create new document
    2. Save As
    3. Select folder within our shared folder (this is linked to another computer, the other computer is the "momma" so to speak in that its part of the hard drive of the other Mac (version 10.12.6). I am also running Mac version 10.12.6. We have a…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. anchor

1) Version of Adobe InDesign: CC 2018 (latest release)

2) Steps to reproduce the issues:
    i) Create a text box with type tool. Enter text.
    ii) Create a text field with "buttons and forms" or insert a picture.
    iii) Anchor text field (or picture) to the end of the text in the text box.
    iv) Drag text box into Articles panel.
    v) Ensure "Include Article" is selected.
    vi) Select "use for reading order in tagged PDF" in Articles panel menu.
    vii) Export to PDF (save as interactive is using the text field).

3) Expected result:

Text field (or picture) will…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Tab controls are buggy. InDesign CC 2018

When using the Tabs control dialogue box all sorts of problems begin to manifest. First, as you are working with the tabs controls page elements go sideways. Text overlaps, sometimes entire paragraphs preceding the area you are working in.

On occasion, the tabs simply don't line up to where you assign them, even when you do so numerically. (See screenshot)

Settings for paragraph styles take precedence over tabs settings (even though tabs traditionally were the opposite, taking precedence.)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. excel import filter fails formatting

When importing an Excel spreadsheet, formatted cells are incorrectly imported.

E.g., place the following one-cell spreadsheet in CC 2018 (not tested in earlier, but I imagine it's true there), and you'll see either "10,000,000,000,000.0." in the cell (under macOS) or "1,000.0" (under Windows).

Needless to say, this is a critical bug for people using Excel with InDesign, since it causes serious mis-representations of imported numbers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Indents not holding after page break

1. InDesign CC 2018, though I logged this bug for 2017 as well. It may also have existed as far back as CS6. I had hoped it would be fixed in this release.

2. Create a paragraph style that has a left indent and set text in that paragraph style. Set enough text to flow onto a second page.

3. The text should retain the left indent after the page break.

4. Sometimes, the first line of text after the page break does not retain the indent.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in InDesign’s latest version, id 14.0.3.
    Please update your InDesign to try out the fix.

Note:
    If you open a file which already has this issue, in the new version, you may continue to see the issue.
    To resolve such cases, you may SAVE AS the file or do a force text re-composition as the workaround

However, all the new files created in the new version will not have this issue anymore.

-InDesign Team

17. Multiple variables in a TOC

While having headlines with zwo or more variables in the document, the TOC will be horrible wrong - it looks like a variable-puzzle.

This mistake destroys any dream of creating efficiently catalogues and users are forced to use any kind of dirty-trick or handle on very expensive way a "handmade-process".

This Bug is known since CS5.x.
    So please: Repair this Bug - now!

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

18. InDesign 2018 crashes when I update the links in the links panel

InDesign 2018 crashes when I update the links in the links panel. It does not matter which size they have.
    I'm using Indesign 2018 since yesterday. Running on a power Mac 2017.
    To finish my document I had to install indesign 2017 again and start all over! What can I do?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

19. Publish Online

On Android phones and tablets: Publish Online skips pages when trying to swipe from page-to-page in certain Publish Online documents.

The thread on the forums is here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2419718

The documents that have been reported to exhibit this behavior include:

1, "Five Days from Nowhere," found here https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/publish-online.html

1. And also this document that's in my Publish Online gallery
      https://indd.adobe.com/view/ab79b8c6-1265-44e3-aeae-7dccfb89cd94

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Closed: Fixed  ·  6 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Export PDF, cannot cancel background task

Sometimes, there is no way to cancel a background pdf export task.

No way to close the document either, only hard quitting works.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base