Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

186 results found

1. serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
    this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
    the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.

suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

2. Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

3. Drop-down menu options not highlighting

Visual feedback of selected item works when moving down through list using Down Arrow Key. Visual feedback does not work when moving back up through the list using Up Arrow Key. It will select the correct item, it just doesn't show that the correct item is currently highlighted.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Clicking document-installed font from font list gives error to "activate font" and doesn't change font.

InDesign 14.0 on Windows 10 x64

I just upgraded to InDesign 14.0, and there appears to be a bug when clicking a document-installed font from the font list. The font list gives an error message to "Click 'Activate' button to activate fonts" and the text frame keeps the existing font, instead of changing to the new font.

Expected result:
    The expected result would be the same behavior as InDesign 13.1, where you could click a document-installed font from the font list, and the text frame would update to the newly selected font.

Actual result:
    In InDesign 14.0, clicking a document-installed…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

5. Distorted Text and Graphics in high sierra

When opening a previously created file, I noticed small visual artifacts in the rendering of vector graphics in the file. As I zoomed in to inspect it, the artifacts began jumping all over the place, and as I zoomed in further, text on the page began presenting the same behavior.

Using InDesign 2017.1, Build 12.1.0.56 on a 2016 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM), running macOS High Sierra 10.13.

215 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  Sumit Garg responded

This is a macOS10.13 issue, specific for some Intel GPU cards. Apple has fixed(partially) this issue inside macOS10.13.4 released build.

Following are the workaround for resolving this issue.
    1) Update your mac machine to latest macOS10.13.4. Here, Apple has fixed this issue to some extent. You will face very less number of rendering issues.
    2) Disable GPU preview and set display performance as typical.

Once you have updated to macOS10.13.4 .You might still face some rendering issues. Since, Apple has not fixed this issue completely.
    Please switch off GPU rendering for these cases and report a separate post for tracking.

6. InDesign totally unusable for large threaded tables after 2015 version

Using Windows 10 Pro, high end computer (Ryzen 1800X, 32Gb RAM, NVMe SSD, 1080Ti)

Create an Excel file with 8000 rows of random data, place into InDesign with as unformatted table.

Use shift-click to create pages and thread the table to each page.

Try to scroll without InDesign freezing for 30 seconds. I can't.

I have tried:
    - Cleaning preferences / logging on different username to have a fresh profile
    - Using a different computer
    - Turning off preflight
    - Using fast display performance
    - Change the composer away from world ready, trying single line instead of paragraph
    - Turned…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Corrupt/pixelated cursor Issue in InDesign on MacOS High Sierra

In InDesign is a Problem with the Cursor on iOS Hight Sierra Beta Version 10.13 (17A315i). I Attached a short Video file. It is better as the describe when you what I means. Thank you.

321 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

240 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Align toolbar: "Use Spacing" is greyed out

Version: Adobe InDesign cc 2019 (v 14.0)

Steps to reproduce:
    I'm not sure how to reproduce it. After some minutes of working, the checkbox for "Use Spacing" in toolbar Align/Distribute Spacing is greyed out and inactive. Not sure when it happens or what makes it happen.
    But: in the Properties toolbar, "Use Spacing" is not greyed out and it is working normal, as seen in the attached picture. If I click the checkbox in the Properties toolbar, then the checkbox in the Align toolbar is activated and not greyed out anymore.

Expected result:
    "Use Spacing" in Align toolbar should not…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. InDesign CC 2018/High Sierra - Cannot package files

Since updating to High Sierra I am not able to package files. The error message is simply "Unable to package the document. InDesign cannot access '(file name'.indd).

I am using InDesign CC 13.0.1 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Don't know if this is of any use or not, but also if I try using my bulk packaging script, the error I get is "undefined is not an object (line 186)

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    The issue has been fixed with Apple’s MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (17E139).

You can try out the fix by updating your machine to the beta update from Apple.
    Let us know if the issue is fixed for you after aforementioned High Sierra beta update.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

10. Can't open .idap files

We can package .icap files and send them to the proofreader, but when we get the .idap files back we can't open them. We get the error "The selected package file requires an InDesign document “^1” that cannot be found."

Others seem to be having the same issue here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2551100
    The plugin listed in that forum thread does not fix the problem either.

The problem started when our team updated to CC 2019... had no problems until the update. We're on Apple's Mojave OS and 2019 InDesign.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign Fonts folder no longer respects symlinks (2019, Mac)

The Fonts folder in the InDesign 2019 application folder no longer follows symlinks, as previous versions did.

I prefer to keep my InDesign fonts separate from my system fonts, and in previous versions placed a symlink to my font folder in the InDesign application folder, titled "Fonts." InDesign would follow that link, and I would have access to all of my fonts within InDesign, without needing to install them user- or system-wide.

In InDesign 2019, no symlinks are followed - not on the top level, and not inside the folder either. (Tested by symlinking one font or one folder inside…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

12. 2 Headings in 1 cell is displayed incorrectly in the TOC

Since InDesign version 14.0 x64 (Windows), when creating or updating a TOC, the second heading is directly connected to the first heading without any distance and without chapter number. This only happens if both source headings are in 1 cell.

The proof: Documents made before version 14 have a correct TOC. If I open such a document with version 14 and update the TOC, it will break as mentioned above.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. InDesign performance issue: Slow on documents present on server

it's not an idea, but a problem. Indesign creates problems on the network and is very slow with server documents, as never before. The media told me to work locally, but I ask Adobe to solve the problem. Windows 10 64 bit - Intel processor 32 GB of ram.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Crash on using Align Distribute option

Help!! I used to be able to get the page tool, highlight multiple pages across a spread in the pages palette, then set the space between pages in the toolbar and use the distribute button to get even spacing between pages. Since updating to InDesign 2019 (v14.0.1), the “use spacing” measurement field never completely shows in the info bar, and every time I hit the “distribute horizontal” button, InDesign IMMEDIATELY crashes. I am using MacOS 10.13.6. Please help, I use this feature A LOT.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Embedded Publish Online doc fails in Firefox

Embedded Publish Online pages do not behave properly (i.e., go to full screen mode) in the latest release of Firefox 62.0.3 on Mac.

Please go to these two websites and click on the embedded document. It will attempt to go to full screen, but the cover only is jammed in the upper left corner of the screen. You can't navigate or do anything to fix that I've found. This is a serious problem, as many people have embedded Publish Online pages in their websites.

http://www.andreanienhaus.de/
    http://www.atlasdergisi.com/dijital/yaban-karacadag.html

Could someone else check this with Firefox and let me know the result?

And…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Fehlercode 4/Errorcode 4 for not damaged documents

1. Adobe Indesin CC 13.01 After the last Update of Indesign time by time suddenly Indesign report a damaged file if you try to open any InDesign-Document.

Everytime after restarting the Mac everything is good and I'm fortunally able to open all o these documents.

Sometimes restarting Indesign helps, but not always.

The last 3 days it happens much to often und it nervs.

56 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. content aware fit and EXIF information

Content aware fit works fine with landscape oriented pictures. And with pictures saved from Photoshop, even if in portrait mode. But when I place a picture in portrait mode which has not been saved by Photoshop yet, there is a problem: Content aware fit seems to ignore the EXIF information in the picture, and treats the picture as landscape-oriented.

I get the same problem when using portrait mode pictures in an ePub with flexible layout. So I think InDesign should read the information of a picture more accurate than it does now.
    Similar but on a different part of the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update:
    Few of our users have commented that the issue is still not fixed for them. We sincerely regret the trouble caused.
    In our attempt to eliminate the problem completely, we could identify few scenarios in the which the problem would manifest. While we acknowledge that the list of scenarios may not be exhaustive, we assure you that we are continuously working towards solving the problem completely.

As far this thread is concerned, we are closing it for now. If you continue to face the issue, please reach out directly at sharewithid@adobe.com.
    -———————————————————————————————-

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu…

19. Using eyedropper to copy text attributes crashes InDesign CC 2018

Using the eyedropper tool to copy text attributes crashes InDesign every time.

90 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

20. can't place image on rotated page

When placing an image on to a rotated page the image is placed outside the work area! Does not mater if I choose place from the File meny or drag and drop from the desktop. No mater where I place it on my page it gets sent way out with no chance of selecting it. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base