Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6641 results found

1. Find/Change crashes InDesign

InDesign crashes immediately when attempting to search for words within my established file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Text Frame Otpion

Text hops around in text box from top to bottom when moving text frame. I have seen a lot people online having the same issue. Only work around, and it's just that a work around not a fix, every time you place text you have to go to Object>Text Frame Options>Baseline Option and click "Use Custom Baseline Grid". Doing this every single time I place text is getting rather tedious. Just encountered bug today, restarted both indesign and imac, the bug stayed. About to re-install indesign all together.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Export from book file default to wrong filetype

CC 2017 12.0.0.81
    Using the regular export menu, export an interactive PDF. That becomes the default. But now I want to export a Print PDF from the book panel, it keeps defaulting back to interactive PDF. So to make its I don't have to remember to choose Print PDF (for every single export), I have to first export a random Print PDF using the regular export menu, just to switch the default in the Export Selected files to PDF option.

The two export locations: File > Export and using the flight from the Book panel, shouldn't be tied together. They…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Temp InDesign 2018 file

Temp InDesign 2018 file does not go away after closing ID file and trying to delete it, the Finder generates an error" -80" (?). By the way, what is the reason for such file to be visible at all? Why does the user even care to behold that file at all?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. pdf display default

When I try to export an InDesign file in PDF, it automatically saves it as a 2-page folder booklet.
    The display and layout options in Export to PDF are "default" and cannot be changed to "1 page".
    How can I change this and have a regular 1-page document?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Folio overlays

Abode indesign CC 2017 - 08/30 - Windows
    My colleague and I are trying to make a folder with Publish online, and sometimes we need 'Folio Overlays' tool - but it doesn't work. For me it's too big to see on the screen, makes everything slow - and for her, it doesn't work at all, it doesn't show anything at all.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ctrl + Alt + X

To use the shortcut "Ctrl + Alt + X" to do a hard space in the text is impossible - it doesn't work at all. When I press "Ctrl + Alt + X" I start some sort of screenshot function. When I chose "Hard space" from the menu it works as it should do.
    So please help, I miss my "Ctrl + Alt + X" -function.

1. InDesign 2017.1
    2. See above
    3. I expect to get a hard space in the text.
    4. See above
    5. -
    I have Windows10 in my computer.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Colour picker turns everything to blank with strokes, applies stroke

Colour picker is broken. Everything is checked, but when I use it, it turns the object picked from into blank with black stroke. When applied, it adds a black stroke. This is true of text, objects, and links. Deleting local settings changed nothing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Hyperlinks

I use a lot of hyperlinks in a document which link to the individual products on our website for online ordering and stock levels.

The Hyperlink panel frequently corrupts - I lose the ‘traffic light’ link status indicator and location of the link (page No.) - meaning I have to remove InDesign and execute a clean install to get the feature back.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. crash

After the opening of the 5° files Indesign Crashes, i have to open a massive number of files. I make a fast check on my PC and the system works with half of the resources available. So i think the problem is not my pc but the program. I have an HPZ240 Tower Workstation. RAM 16GB. Processor Inte(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @4.20GHz and the Hard disk it's an SSD 500gb. The operative sistems it's a Windows 10 pro. The version of the program InDesign build 12.1.0.56 release 2017.1.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Problem with publish online

Hello, I want to publish online my brochure, but there are display errors with places images with layer-effects (multiplicate) see the screenshots. Please fix it! Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Pagina on Master page - deleted on one page

Pagina is on Master page, and deleted on one page.
    In version 12.0.0.81 the pagina that is deleted still shows.
    In version 12.1.0.56 the pagina is not there.
    I do not know which version the designer used when creating the document, some version of 2017.
    The pagina block is from the edge to spine.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Indesign won't stop loading when adding a new page. Incredibly frustrating!

Indesign won't stop loading when adding a new page. Incredibly frustrating! Tried clearing other tabs, restart and shutdown computer, even updating won't solve this painful problem! I can't edit / add pages to my resume that I need to forward to a job application!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

16. missing scripts after installation ID CC13.0/ID2018 Windows

Startup scripts are no longer running after installation. The Scripts folder is empty.
    Indesign copies the folder from version 12 and creates the folder C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 13.0\de_DE
    But Indesign-scripts now are saved in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2018\Scripts
    So you have to copy the script folders by yourself.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. Just wanted to confirm few things:

1) Was there some scripts present in folder C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 12.0\de_DE and these are not copied to 13.0 folder?
    2) Is your problem just limited to folder movement or you are facing the issue that your startup scripts are not running?

Please provide more detail about the issue. Also, It would be useful if you can provide steps to reproduce the issue.

17. Adobe inDesign is shutting down

Adobe in Design is shutting dow. A serious error was detected. Please restart InDesign to recover work in any unsaved InDesign documents. This happened when importing an image cmd D.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

CLOSED  ·  0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. window

Fuck You Adobe

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. The lists of entries for a cross reference is not ordered

Some panels with items (e.g. links) can be ordered by clicking the column header. Others cannot. Among these are the lists of references to choose from when inserting a cross-reference. These seem to be totally unordered. As a result, it is a pain to look for the right one (e.g. choose from a few hundred in a large document). I consider this a bug because other panels do have this ordering

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Mistakenly copying layer name instead of layer content

Nobody command-clicks the an Indesign layer hoping to copy the layer name, but much of the time when attempting to copy the layer content, the layer title is the only thing brought into the clipboard.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base