Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6469 results found

1. Selecting 'No language' from styles advanced options really exports the tag to EN in PDF

When you have a document with multiple languages and the main language isn't available in InDesign's presets, ie the document is mainly in Kirundi or Samoan and there are some English phrases, a user should be able to select 'No language' from the style's advanced options. Instead, 'No language' will export as EN and the tag in the PDF will have EN listed as the language in the tag's properties. This is problematic because the tag's language will override the document's language properties. This is a clear failure of WCAG SC 3.1.2 (language of parts).

A screen reader won't be…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. CC Libraries panel crashes on right-click

Whenever right-clicking on any item in the CC Libraries panel, the panel crashes. Rebooting computer, restarting InDesign, and resetting preferences did not fix the issue.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. A5 paper size wrong

The paper size for A5 in the presets is technically wrong as it should be 148.5mm wide and not 148mm. You can't change the built-in presets but it would be really helpful to do so as our onward print workflow relies on 148.5mm wide files and it's really annoying to have to change it after it's all been designed if you forget to change the page size at the beginning.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. crash

For several days we've had crashes while Indesign CC 2019 (14.0.01) being idle. Might be because links (*.psp and/or *.indd) are breaking due to network issues, but should not crash even so, just say links are broken. This has resulted in several files corrupted and cannot be restored even if those documents themselves are not affected by the broken links. The Indesign temp-files also seem to become corrupt (often showing 0 byte size).

I've sent several crash reports and heard nothing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Distorted Text and Graphics in high sierra

When opening a previously created file, I noticed small visual artifacts in the rendering of vector graphics in the file. As I zoomed in to inspect it, the artifacts began jumping all over the place, and as I zoomed in further, text on the page began presenting the same behavior.

Using InDesign 2017.1, Build 12.1.0.56 on a 2016 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM), running macOS High Sierra 10.13.

215 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  Sumit Garg responded

This is a macOS10.13 issue, specific for some Intel GPU cards. Apple has fixed(partially) this issue inside macOS10.13.4 released build.

Following are the workaround for resolving this issue.
    1) Update your mac machine to latest macOS10.13.4. Here, Apple has fixed this issue to some extent. You will face very less number of rendering issues.
    2) Disable GPU preview and set display performance as typical.

Once you have updated to macOS10.13.4 .You might still face some rendering issues. Since, Apple has not fixed this issue completely.
    Please switch off GPU rendering for these cases and report a separate post for tracking.

6. Wordwrap

Anyone also having problems with word wrapping? Found some english words but many german words that InDesign doesn't seem to know :/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 3 types of consistent crashes during past 3 months

Using version 14.0.2 x64 under Windows 10.

Working on a 356-page book. Three types of crashes occur consistently:

1 - When I export to PDF.
    2 - When I add pages, usually in increments of 10.
    3 - When I switch between single-page layout and 2-page spread layout.

After every crash, when I go to open the file, inDesign offers to auto recover the file. When I say yes, InDesign warns me that the file might be corrupt. I always open anyway. After 3 months working on this book, I can't afford to start over, so I hope for the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. spinning beach ball when clicking into text box

When clicking on a text box to edit text or move box, spinning beach ball delays response by 5 seconds to over a minute. Happens with text tool or select tools. Only way to solve this issue is to work offline. My internet is fine. I use many other apps besides indd and do not have delay issues. Never had a problem prior to the integration of Typekit in most recent versions. MacOS 10.14.3.
    Attached are some screen grabs showing recent freezes. Spinning beach ball is not visible, but that's what I am seeing. Thank you for your attention.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Conditional text prevents smart text reflow.

Conditional text prevents smart text reflow.

When using Smart Text Reflow with conditional text and the "delete empty pages" option selected—Hiding conditional text works as expected removing the empty pages. However, when conditional text is unhidden, Smart Text Reflow does not repopulate the pages.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Colour swatch problem. CMYK Sliders have changed to DIC colour system and I can't change them back

Colour swatch problem. CMYK Sliders have changed to DIC colour system and I can't change them back.
    2019 Indesign CC Mac version.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. hyperlink is present for imported document outside of visible cropped area

I have 1 document (doc1) placed into another (doc2). In doc2, doc1 is cropped to not include a footer, which happens to have text in the form of URL, but not explicitly set as a hyperlink in the document. When a PDF of doc2 is exported, a hyperlink is created on the page where the URL would be if it were visible. The link is in the table at the end of the Jordan row over 0.086.

Files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s88rtkmh5hz525e/Archive.zip?dl=0

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Text cursor disappears - Mojave and InDesign CC 13.1

After upgrading to Mac OSX Mojave (10.14), using InDesign CC 13.1 ME, the text cursor disappears. All other cursors appear as expected. This happens both with the standard Text tool, and the ME Text tool.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. type kits

The option to have Adobe typekits is not showing up on any of my CC applications. I have the latest version of the CC subscription, however I no longer have the option to get adobe type kits.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Superscript numers will not carry over from mounted Excel-file

When placing a link to excelfiles that has a cell with superscript numbers the superscripted number will not carry over to the Indesign document. For instance 1234[2] will just show 1234 in Indesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Interactive fields - FontSize too small when populated from Database

Dear sir or madam,

we've updated our InDesign from Version 13.x to 14.0.2. Now we encountered a problem with our interactive fields. The fontsize in our generated interactive PDFs is extremely small when populated with values out of our database. In contrast the fontsize is normal when the interactive textboxes are filled manually inside Adobe Reader.

When we export an interactive PDF from our same source-InDesign file, the problem occurs only with the export from InDesign 14.0.2. No fields or any settings were changed.

We're using iTextSharp for populating the interactive "AcroFields".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Drag-duplicating an object with Alt key pressed does not duplicate, if moving on a separate page

If I try to duplicate an object to another page, across the pasteboard border, by holding the Alt key and dragging with mouse, the object only moves there. If I want to duplicate an object to another page, I have to first duplicate it on the same page and then move it to another page.

However, as that is unintuitive, I still constantly try to duplicate an object across the page border, leading me to undo back after I find out the object didn't actually duplicate, but instead I have moved the original object (and oftentimes edited it a lot…

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    In Backlog  ·  Nikhil Kedia responded

Issue is still seen in 'Immediate' Live Screen Drawing mode, when pressing alt in between the drag while copying to another spread

17. Printing Error: ^1

Ever since the 2019 update nearly all of our inDesign files refuse to print, you get error message ^1. We are running MacOS Mojave printing to a Cannon Image Runner Advance

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Still not fixed—GREP search fails to find all the matching instances in long documents

An Adobe Indesign CC 2019 (version 14.0.2) file has fewer than 15K characters. A return, followed by the text “ppp”, appears 27 times in the file. They can all be found using the “Text” version of find, searching for “^ppp”. However, using the “GREP” version of find, searching for “\rppp”, only the last one is found. (I am running MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.5 on a MaxBook Pro, retina, 15 inch, mid 2015).

I followed the purported fix found at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/search-issue-in-long-documents.html but with no success.

Indesign files are invalid file types for attaching to this bug post; however I have a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. The crop marks in Indesign are inaccurate by 0.04” on the horizontal plain.

The crop marks in Indesign are inaccurate by 0.04” on the horizontal plain. This is a big issue!!!

I just wanted to get this info to the developers, in hopes of a quick fix.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. "Add all stories to assignment" doesn't include content of anchored text boxes

1) I'm using InDesign CC 2019 (14.0.2) under MacOS 10.14.6.
    2) - Open an INDD document with various text boxes
    - Execute Edit -> InCopy -> Add All Stories to Assignment
    3) I would expect this command to include also the content of text boxes that are anchored to other text boxes.
    4) However, it doesn't. The content of such text boxes is missing. However, when I go through the document and release all anchored text boxes before executing the command, it will work properly
    5) I'd love to attach an indd or idml test file but these file types…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base